What's new

Guido's 1965 7.3 Powerstroke Diesel Scout 80

Since I chopped up the firewall to get that big ol' PSD crammed in there...I was getting tight on foot room, there wasn't any room for a throttle pedal.
P3170172.JPG
P4120190.JPG

No problemo... With a little help from the oxy/ace torch, I beat the pedals into submission. I straightened out the stock clutch and brake pedals and .... voila! Plenty of room for the throttle pedal
yes.gif

P5030229.JPG

P5030228.JPG

Steering column barely sneaks by the exhaust manifold and under the PS pump:

P5100001.JPG

Man, I'd seen your avatar, thinking that had to be a squeeze, I thought you had a scout 2, I had no idea you put that into a baby scout :laughing:

looking good, keep it coming

Had to do more battle with the
censored.gif
tinworm
taz.gif

Those hinge reinforcements trap a lot of junk and rust out. I found out I had a problem when I pulled the dash and the tab that holds the dash fell off.
yH5BAEAAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAIBRAA7
:confused:
Click image for larger version Name:	P5310025.JPG Views:	0 Size:	198.0 KB ID:	364924
Click image for larger version Name:	P5310027.JPG Views:	0 Size:	400.2 KB ID:	364925

image_55334.jpg

Same on the other side:

Click image for larger version Name:	P6060005.JPG Views:	0 Size:	418.5 KB ID:	364927
Click image for larger version Name:	P6060006.JPG Views:	0 Size:	406.7 KB ID:	364928

I didn't get it all body shop smooth since it was going to be under the fender. I gave them a shot of rubberized undercoating and slapped the fenders back on.
P6090007.JPG

I needed to match up my GM PS box with my Ford PS pump, I thought about getting a custom hose made, but then I had a better idea. The Ford line uses an invert flare fitting and the GM is an O-ring. A quick trip to the autoparts store, and a viola! I cut off the ends and re-flared (double flared like a brake line to handle the 1,000+ psi steering fluid pressure). Now it's Ford on one end and GM on the other.
P6010031.JPG
P5100006.JPG

Well, Lipstick 6 (the Boss) was never too keen on the junkyard seats I had picked up for the Scout, so she got me these new environmentally friendly cardboard seats.
P6060004.JPG

They are cheapo JC Whitney seats, I read a few reviews online and most guys like them. The material seems to be thinner than the more expensive seats, but they'll do for now. I haven't installed them or used them long enough to give a long term evaluation.

P6060003.JPG

* DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THESE SEATS!!!! I knew they were cheap, but they are JUNK! Just sitting in the garage for two years they fell apart, the fabric is crap. It's not like they were cooking in the sun every day, once I actually started sitting in them the fabric and foam just fell apart. They are pretty comfortable, though...

Ford 31 Spline ZF 5S-47 to GM 32 Spine NP205

Jed's Machine Doubler. Ford NP203 to GM 205.

1:1, 2:1, & 4:1

Click image for larger version Name:	P5270028.JPG Views:	7 Size:	456.6 KB ID:	365013
Click image for larger version Name:	P4070188.JPG Views:	7 Size:	224.6 KB ID:	365014

Modded the shift rail for front digs

Click image for larger version Name:	P6090021.JPG Views:	7 Size:	395.1 KB ID:	365015

19.5" long from face to rear output yoke.

P6090023.JPG

Last edited:
Modified the original steering column mount to fit a GM column.
Click image for larger version Name:	P5100003.JPG Views:	0 Size:	390.1 KB ID:	366212
Click image for larger version Name:	P5100004.JPG Views:	0 Size:	134.0 KB ID:	366213

When I had initially test fit the 203/205 doubler, I thought I'd be able to fit it between the frame rails.

oops...

Click image for larger version Name:	P6090025.JPG Views:	0 Size:	193.6 KB ID:	366214

Cut off the mounting boss on the NP205 and cut, notched,
Click image for larger version Name:	P6100038.JPG Views:	0 Size:	429.2 KB ID:	366216
and plated the frame:

Click image for larger version Name:	P6100038.JPG Views:	0 Size:	429.2 KB ID:	366216

Last edited:
Frame notch filled in:

P6170081.JPG
Plated on the outside as well:

P6100036.JPG

P6180094.JPG

I was hoping to get it completely flat, but with a very short rear driveshaft, I had to drop it down a bit the help with the angle. I may mess with it some more but it only hangs down 2-3". With a good skid plate it shouldn't be a problem. I added a second crossmember to support the doubler so it doesn't hang down too far below the frame rail.

P6180095.JPG

Since I was using all the stock F250 wiring harness, it made sense to use one of the F250 fuel tanks. I mounted it up and made a new fuel filler.
P6260109.JPG
P6250105.JPG

Recycled Ford exhaust, too. Turns out just in front of the rear tire.

P6300113.JPG
P6300112.JPG

I dropped most of the Ford wiring harness in the Scout from Headlights to tail lights.

This is the engine harness, It wasn't too bad, I had labeled everything well when I took it out of the F250 and most of the connections would only attach one way.

The PCM and injector control module fit perfectly right in a small ammo can.

P6210096.JPG

P6220099.JPG

P7030116.JPG

P7030116.JPG

No sooner did I get it running and it was time to move again. I was getting deployed, so we moved back home to TX. I did get one last thing done before my leave was up and I had to go...

I got the Scout some new shoes
punk.gif

Looks like I'll need to do some fender trimming
yH5BAEAAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAIBRAA7

BFG KM2 37x12.50R17

P7140124.JPG

P7270153.JPG

P7270154.JPG

P8110188.JPG

P8110190.JPG

P8110191.JPG

tank.gif

So, that's it for now.(July 2009) Stay tuned for part 3. I've been ordering parts while I'm deployed and there's still a bunch of work to be done. I have my work cut out for me upon my return. I have to finish the dash, mount the seats/seatbelts, mount the shocks, winch, ARB, etc and get it registered and inspected...because guess what? Yep. We're moving again.

To be continued...

July 2010
I was home for 2 weeks of midtour leave in July. I spent 5 days in Vegas, and just vegged out for a few days, but I did manage to get in a little bit of work one day. While I've been deployed I have been ordering parts (shocks, XRC-10 winch, ARB for the 14BFF, Wild Horse EB flares and some other odds and ends, gauges, etc) so I'll have a bunch to do when I get home. I have been brainstorming on what I wanted to do to fix my rockers. I had some rust and I wanted to build some rocker protection. I decided to do a mini-boatside. I get to cut out some rust and will gain 2-3" under the rocker panels.
Rocker boatside sketch.jpg

Rocker boatside sketch 2.jpg

P7121301.JPG

P7121302.JPG

P7121304.JPG

I made it home from Iraq at the beginning of October 2010 and after some relaxation I got to work on the Scout. Once again, I'll be getting transferred again soon and I have to get the Scout street-worthy, registered and insured so the Army will ship it to Hawaii.

First, I redid both sides of the floor with .125" diamond tread floorplate and built some seat brackets with some 1.25"x.083" square tube:

PA081458.JPG

PA141463.JPG

PA141466.JPG

PA141468.JPG

PA141471.JPG

Once I had my floors fixed up, I could get to work on my mini boatsides. The mini boatsides are 2x2x.188 angle, 1x2x.080 rect tube, and 3"x.188" strap/flat stock. There are 20 bolts in each one (eight 3/8" bolts countersunk along the bottom, and twelve 3/8" bolts along the top edge with nut plates inside) the mini boatsides took care of my rusty rocker panels, protect the stock side gas tanks, give me some protection and a little more clearance under the doors/rocker panel.

PA181476.JPG

PA181477.JPG

PA151472.JPG
PA201481.JPG

PA211491.JPG

PA211490.JPG

Kustom Tripple stick shifters.....from Tractor Supply Co :dustin:

PA251496.JPG

PA251499.JPG

PA251499.JPG

Also reworked my front spring hangers to fix my shitty +14* caster angle, also added a piece of 3" C-channel between the spring mounts.

PA261504.JPG

PA261503.JPG

Pulled the top off and shot 2 gallons of Al's DIY Liner on the tub. Al's is a 3 part polyurethane made by the same company that makes Scorpion Liner. Despite my best efforts to screw it up, it came out pretty good. It's a little thin in a few places and a little thick in others, but not bad for a first time bedliner sprayer-on-er. [10 years later still in pretty good shape]

Click image for larger version Name:	PB151510.JPG Views:	0 Size:	381.0 KB ID:	366319

Click image for larger version Name:	PB151511.JPG Views:	0 Size:	459.7 KB ID:	366323

Super quick winch mount

Click image for larger version Name:	PB151512.JPG Views:	0 Size:	401.4 KB ID:	366320

Stuffed the ARB in the 14Bff

Click image for larger version Name:	PB161520.JPG Views:	0 Size:	403.1 KB ID:	366321
Ruff Stuff Specialties 3/8" Diff cover

Click image for larger version Name:	PB171521.JPG Views:	0 Size:	390.3 KB ID:	366322

Absolutely awesome to see all of these pictures and ideas. So many things can be learned by seeing someone else's ideas and builds! Looks great!

Put the dash together and put it on the boat to Hawaii.

when were you in hawaii? i ask, because i was there in 05/06 or maybe 04/05 and there was a scout like this there we'd wheel with

So I was going back through my pics and found a few that I hadn't downloaded yet. I finally got around to fixing my caster angle on the front. When I first swapped in the 10 bolt, I had mounted the front of the springs just under the bumper, as I didn't want big fangs sticking down and killing my approach angle. Unfortunately, that gave me about 14* positive caster (top of knuckle tilted back) which wasn't a big deal when it was sitting on jack stands.

DSC01999.JPG

I ordered 7* STEEL caster shims from DIY4X but when I finally got around to putting the shims in... springs hit the tie rod :censored: I tried taking out the overload, nope. :censored: Still hit.

So I ended up cutting off the spring hangers and making new ones. I used some extra 3/8" shackles from Ruff Stuff, 3"x.250 square tubing, and some 3/16" flat stock. Added a piece of 3" C-Channel as well between the hangers. I dropped the front mounting holes down about 3.5" which gave me a MUCH better caster angle and leveled out my springs.

PA261500.JPG

Turned out damn near perfect and won't have to do a cut and turn. Which is good becasue I don't plan on keeping the 10 bolt anyway...
PA261504.JPG

I have a lead on a D60 :D

The Good News: Well, the Scout arrived in Hawaii and I got it over to the new Casa de Lyons. I guess I did pretty well on my front end aligmment and caster, as it's maiden voyage I drove it ~30 miles from the port to my house. :eek:

While not a white knuckle ride, it was pretty nerve wracking, not knowing if it was going to make it. After all, I had only driven it around the block once before it was loaded up to ship.
It did fine up to 55mph, then I started to get some body sway. I think I'll adjust the shocks (Rancho RS9000XL have 9 positions of adjustment) and see if that helps. If that doesn't work, I'll hit the junkyard for some sway bars.

The airsoft BB's worked great to balance the tires, and it didn't overheat or burst into flames, so that was a big plus :lol:

I'll be picking up my D60F after the New Year.

The Bad News: Boy, have I got a bone to pick with the trucking company that picked up the Scout. As I was going through the inspection with the guys at the dock, I noticed a HUGE problem with my hood. At first I thought something had been dropped on it or someone stood on the hood, but after a closer look, it was obvious that the hood came unlatched and smashed into the top of the windshield :mad3: :mad3:The only time the Scout had EVER been going fast enough for that to happen had to be in I-35N going to Dallas.

The shipping documents show that there was a large dent in the hood when it was delivered to Dallas for shipment. So obviously, it was damaged between Corpus Christi and Dallas, not between Dallas and Honolulu.

The latch at the top of the windshield is bent, and there is a larger crease across the center of the hood, and the hinge on the passenger side is broken.

PIC-0089.jpg
PIC-0102.jpg
PIC-0099.jpg
PC291607.JPG

As happy as I was that the Scout made it here....I am madder than a wet chicken right now.
I'm going to contact the trucking company and see what they plan on doing to compensate me...but I have a bad feeling about getting any $$$ out of them. [they did nothing, denied evrything even though the shipping docs showed it was dented when it arrived in Dallas]

I'm sure I'll be able to get it straightened out, but it pisses me off that the guy didn't even tell me about it. I mean I know the Scout is rough around the edges and will never get 1st place at the "Show and Shine" but I guess I'll add that to the body work I need to do before I can paint it.

MarkB SR2 sent me a hinge to replace the broken one :beer: thanks MarkB. The hood doesn't seems as crooked now... it does have a dent in it, but it's probably not worth fighting with the trucking company.

I've got other issues to get fixed so I can meet Hawaii's rather stringent motorvehicle code. I have to pass a reconstructed vehicle inspection in addition to the usual inspection.

I'm working on getting my new D60 front axle swapped in, too.

The laws on Oahu for modified vehicles is ridiculous, in addition to the usual safety inspection, I also have to pass a reconstruction inspection "RECON". I have to get bigger fender flares to cover my tires, mount mud flaps, show proof of alignment, and a bunch of other things.

I swapped out the DRW hubs out on the D60, installed new bearings and seal while I had it apart.

PIC-0132.jpg
PIC-0138.jpg
PIC-0133.jpg

I mocked up the Wild Horses Bronco Fender Flares, I wanted to see how they looked before I started cutting sheetmetal.

Now... everybody will really think it's a Bronco :lol:
I think they will look pretty good.
I bought these before I found out about Hawaii's $h!tty recon inspection, these won't cover anything. I ordered the larger set (~4" wide)
PIC-0134.jpg
PIC-0135.jpg
PIC-0136.jpg

[April 2011] All right, well... I have made some progress, but I've been delayed getting the D60 swap done since I'm waiting on some hi-steer parts from Ballistic Fab :mad3: but I did make some progress in the fender flare department. The original Wild Horses Gorilla flares I got only add about 2.5" of tire coverage, and in order to pass the reconstruction inspection in Oahu :censored::censored: I need to cover the tires and add mud flaps. So I ordered up the Wild Horses Silverback Flares which cover about 4"-4.5" which covers the rear great, and I'll probably have to get creative to pass on the front, but it's a lot better.

Scout purists, turn your eyes away. Aw who am I kidding, those guys fainted and quit reading a long time ago. :lmao: The smaller Gorilla flares fit a little better than the larger Silverback flares. They are super tough and flexible, I tried to follow the Scout fender lines, and I think they look pretty damn good. [In hindsight, I wish I had been able to keep the original Scout fender arches, cut/sectioned/raised,widened but the reality was that would be a shit ton of time and body work, and still wouldn't be wide enough to pass the Hawaii RECON, so I did what was the best option at the time.]
P5010052.JPG
P5010053.JPG
P5010054.JPG

The mud flaps look stupid...but it's better than getting a ticket.
I hate them, too, but I figured I'd make them bigger rather than smaller, I can always cut them down a bit smaller if I need to, it's kinda hard to stretch them if they are too small to pass inspection. I'm not taking any chances with the recon inspection. I hear the inspectors can be real tough. I want them to see that I am doing everything to comply.

Unlike most other safety inspections (walk in), the initial reconstruction inspection is appointment only, and there's only one place in Honolulu that does them, so I don't want to fail and have to wait even longer to get another appointment. Hopefully it won't be as painful as some of the horror stories I've read online.
P5010049.JPG

Attachments

• P5010055.JPG
    P5010055.JPG
    337.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I upgraded the rear tail lights with some 4" LED lights, but the grommet wouldn't fit with out enlarging the hole, so I used a few wraps of electrical tape (without the grommet) to snug of the fit and shoved it in the hole to get it shipped over. I didn't like the unfinished look and I didn't want to enlarge the hole to fit the grommet.
Test fit with the grommet, it looks like it fits, but the light is not seated in the hole.
P7121305.JPG

I was looking at my old cracked lenses and realized that there was a lip on the lens that was the same size as the LED tail light. After a few measurements, I used a flush trim router bit to cut the center out of the lens and a few drops of super glue around the circumference and now I have stock looking LED tail light.

It took about 5 minutes to do.

P5010060.JPG
P5010061.JPG

My first wheeler was a Scout 80. 152 I4. I use to break the stock rear axles so often, I carried spares. (32” tires) Once I broke both rear axles at the same time.

Sub’d.

Top Back Refresh