What's new

Guidance - Axle width advice

Not in my opinion. I've ran a bunch of 12.5s on 8" wide wheels. Can always add weld on beadlocks for ~9" wheel.

I have 42x14.5s on 8.5" wide wheels in my garage. And they're fine.

Wouldn't the beadlock just add the thickness of the rim lip (or at most another 1/4 for a thickness of a surface welded beadlock ring)?

I considered taking the F250 wheel and turning it into a beadlock, but wasn't sure if a 7-1/2 (or even 8") rim would be wide enough to run safely. When I look up 12.5" wide tire specs, they all seem to say 9" wide rim minimum.

Wouldn't the beadlock just add the thickness of the rim lip (or at most another 1/4 for a thickness of a surface welded beadlock ring)?

I considered taking the F250 wheel and turning it into a beadlock, but wasn't sure if a 7-1/2 (or even 8") rim would be wide enough to run safely. When I look up 12.5" wide tire specs, they all seem to say 9" wide rim minimum.

No it adds roughly the thickness of the tire bead, plus a bit.

If you are running near max capacity sure. But you won't be, I know people who have ran 12.5s on 6" wide wheels with no issues :laughing:

No it adds roughly the thickness of the tire bead, plus a bit.

If you are running near max capacity sure. But you won't be, I know people who have ran 12.5s on 6" wide wheels with no issues :laughing:

Ohhhhh yeah.... because a "typical" rim is measured inside lip to inside lip, when the bead moves OUT it adds that thickness. Got it. Thanks.

Guess I'll be grabbing a set of beadlock rings and welding them to the F250 wheels that came with my axle.

Good point about clearance for the steer tires, but a wider track width doesn't "lower" your CG despite improving lateral stability. Now assuming that his ride height doesn't change, his CG may become lower because the one ton axles will add a bunch of weight down low.

You are correct, I fucked that up. A wider tract width will lower your lateral load transfer, not the CG.

7.5" is plenty for a 12.5" tire, especially with the amount of sidewall a 37"+ tire will have. I have always run 12.50 tires on 8" wheels without the slightest issue including when I used to daily drive the brown Bronco II. 1/2" isn't going to make a noticeable difference, and narrow wheels are better offroad. They hold the bead better since the tire is "pinched" and they are tucked in more which protects them from damage. My beater Bronco II has 325s (~13" wide) mounted on 7" wide wheels. They are a little crowned for road use, but are just fine offroad.

most all manufacturer specs I have seen list that an 8" or 8.5" wheel is "approved" for a 315 or 12.50 width tire. Most 13.50s specify an 8.5" wheel as acceptable as well.

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh