Member Number
Loc
Hoosier State
Long time aircooled guy.

Too long since I had a VW project.

Patina build.

Pan off planned in October.
Local VW guys are helping me.
Hopefully I turn this around and drive it in the snow this Winter.
I had a ‘73 back in the college daze and bumper skiing was so great to get around a bunch of drunks

IMG_0365.jpeg

Found it locally and $1500 dollars later it was delivered to me by an older farmer and his wife.
Great people

Numbers matching, so original and the trunk/ foot box is flawless :smokin:

IMG_9462.jpeg

First order of business was to get in rolling
14” tires are difficult to find these days.
Lucky 🍀 for me I had a source for matched sets
70767592578__968534FC-FC1D-4417-9F86-78A1B13B01D2.jpeg

Scored a few engines this week.
1776 dualport that is seized ATM and a neat little single port ready to rip.

One exhaust stud is fubarred but other than that she’s going to go in Guac so we can have some Winter fun
72038880757__B8F32E14-ECE1-46C1-9141-78DC68CC9F72.jpeg

Had a few hours to myself today and started sanding the hood to get out the natural aged paint and see if it looks worthwhile.
I am more than happy with it
IMG_2130.jpeg

Heck ya, I currently have 3 Things. I had an Avacado Green one a few years back, supposedly the rarest color.
That’s what I am talking about 🔥.
There is a guy in Cincinnati that advertises on The Samba that is buying and selling VW, aircooled Porsche parts and has a bunch of Thing parts as well.
image000000.jpeg

Yeah, that's Lil Dave. He has quite the hoard of stuff, and honestly there are a shitload of VWs running around Ohio. The only one of my Things I have pics of on my computer is my current bagged car, I have one that getting lifted as well.

Attachments

• slammed thing.jpg
    slammed thing.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 30
72221013525__9CDA0742-585B-4859-BB3A-12D58386DA82.jpeg
Current plan is to swap the locked OE engine for the single port and just get it running.

Between a few parts here and there , I think we could have it doing donuts in a few days work.

Long term plan is pan-off and sand the patina smooth.

Basically a Class 11 Thing resto-mod.

Nothing fancy, just the basics.
Less is more

They made bugs in Mexico a lot longer than anywhere else.
Yup, followed closely by Brazil, I actually got to tour the Pueblu factory in 1999 thanks to a friend who wrote for a magazine helping me get and invitation. They were building New Beetles and aircooled cars in the same factory, was pretty rad to see both of them rolling around, that was when the New Beetle was the hottest thing going, everyone wanted them. They built the Thing there as well.

Top Back Refresh