What's new

Ground Venison

woods

I probably did it wrong.
Member Number
Store had 12oz packages of ground venison for $5. Figured what the hell. Yea, I know its probably all lips and assholes, but whatever. Bought two packages.

Wife won't eat it. Suggestions for a decent one man's meal? Kind of hot out for chili, so something else would be neat.

It’s going to be very lean if it doesn’t have something mixed in with it, keep that in mind while cooking it.

Venison makes great meatloaf. Otherwise whatever you’d make wirh regular burger. Tacos, burgers, etc. or hamburger helper as mentioned above.

Hamburger Helper? Really? THat doesn't take away from it?

Venison tacos sounds good.

Venison is always lean because deer aren't fat like beef steers. Mix it 50-50 or so (just fuckin eyball it) with like 75/25 or whatever the fattiest cheapo ground beef you can get is and the result is a real nice "best of both worlds" product.

If you mix it up and make patties and don't tell her she'll probably eat one eventually. :laughing:

Venison is always lean because deer aren't fat like beef steers. Mix it 50-50 or so (just fuckin eyball it) with like 75/25 or whatever the fattiest cheapo ground beef you can get is and the result is a real nice "best of both worlds" product.

If you mix it up and make patties and don't tell her she'll probably eat one eventually. :laughing:
^ That is accurate.

There‘s many wives in the Midwest that have eaten venison even though they swear they never will, and have no clue that they did. :laughing:

Woods- When we used to process our own deer we’d mix in ground pork to a 60/40 ratio. (60% venison, 40% pork). Otherwise that shit was so lean you’d burn it before it cooked. Plus some of the old deer taste pretty gamey, especially old bucks that had been running for days during rut. Cutting it with pork or beef really helps.

Over the years we’ve processed or had a local locker process around 40-50 deer. I’ll be honest, we are burned out on it. Some years we’d have 4-6 deer in the freezer and end up tossing some before the next season.

Anything that allows you to add some fat or a sauce is good with venison, just because it’s so lean. Our main go to was chili, then meatloaf, then anything else like tacos, spaghetti, etc.

I'll do up tacos tonight. I just didn't want to take away from the taste of venison with all the spices and flavorings though.

And here I am thinking this was going to be a thread about you finding a dead dear in your yard and wanting to eat it..... :laughing:

And here I am thinking this was going to be a thread about you finding a dead dear in your yard and wanting to eat it..... :laughing:
That day is fast approaching.

I'm actually doing a food plot some time this week. :dustin:

deer trap.jpg

I am anxious to get back out there. Then by the first week I'll be bored out of my mind. I'll be doing the bear barrel again too.

I really don't want to have to travel anywhere. I know they're out there, but not en masse like other places across the state.

Am I the only one questioning how the fuck a store was legally selling venison? Maybe your state is different, but everywhere I've been its illegal. Whats the loophole?

Definitely cut it with pork or beef, but straight venison isn't that bad if you don't burn it.

Am I the only one questioning how the fuck a store was legally selling venison? Maybe your state is different, but everywhere I've been its illegal. Whats the loophole?

Definitely cut it with pork or beef, but straight venison isn't that bad if you don't burn it.
I think it was farm raised or something. I know its not legit "venison", but the price was right. It was the same price as 85% beef patties. :eek:

Had the burritos last night. Tasted no different that any other burrito. Kind of a let down. Without the seasoning you could taste it though. The seasoning took away all the flavor of the deer. Kind of didn't want that to happen.

Positive thing though, when we cook burritos we do a portion without the seasoning; kiddo finds it a bit too spicy. So I cooked up a bit of the venison plain for him. Cleared his plate. he loved it.

As others have said, I cut it with ground beef. Sometimes 50/50, sometimes 70 beef, 30 ground venison. I use those ratios in anything from spaghetti, to burgers, hamburger helper, lasagna, tacos, chili, meatloaf, tater tot casserole, etc...anything that you would normally use straight ground beef in. We usually have 1 or 2 deer completely ground every year and usually by next deer season we are using up the last of the previous years.

Also as others have said, my SIL would never eat venison, but she thinks our "hamburgers" are great.

fry in pan with taco seasoning and some salsa.

Mix in bowl with white rice

profit

If you can find it in the form of round, rump, shoulder and can grind your own, we add bacon grease to help lube the grinder and fatten up the meat. Pork fat from butchering is also kept for similar purposes and does't give the bacon flavor (but the bacon works awesome for breakfast sausage or burgers!).

Best thing to do is find someone like Tin Roof and barter/trade for some. Offer to help process it if they do their own or offer to pick up the tab if using a butcher. My wife is the same and won't eat it - I think it's Disney's fault. My 9 year old daughter loves it...

I add 20 percent pork fat and you can’t tell the difference between it and beef cooked into anything .

Chunk up the deer, throw it in a black pot or crock pot with carrots, potatoes, onions and gravy. Let that shit simmer for a few hours and dump it on rice. Good stuff.

Awesome in spaghetti, dirty rice, stuffed bell peppers, casseroles, tacos, hell anything you use hamburger meat in. It’s good as a hamberger too, but you’ll have to add something as a binder (egg or ground crackers) to keep it together.

Had the burritos last night. Tasted no different that any other burrito. Kind of a let down. Without the seasoning you could taste it though. The seasoning took away all the flavor of the deer. Kind of didn't want that to happen.

Positive thing though, when we cook burritos we do a portion without the seasoning; kiddo finds it a bit too spicy. So I cooked up a bit of the venison plain for him. Cleared his plate. he loved it.
that’s what is funny, people don’t like venison simply because eating Bambi is bad. If you don’t tell anyone, they will wolf it down. It’s very lean so you have to cook it a bit different. Once you get that figured out, it’s the noms.

When I cook venison, I usually treat it like chicken fried steak, which you could make pattys out of it ground with egg and panko. Put it over mashed potato’s, and make gravy out of the grease it’s cooked in, and if not enough, use those packets from the store and add plenty of oil.

Top Back Refresh