What's new

Grinder work gloves

[memphis]

Web wheeler
Member Number
Killed my new Christmas present Milwaukee gloves already 😆. It’s cold up here burrrrr! I knew they wouldn’t last, some sort of cotton/rubber dipped but I’ll keep using them for now.

Looking for a glove that can take some sparks but isn’t as bulky as welding gloves?
What do you recommend

Killed my new Christmas present Milwaukee gloves already 😆. It’s cold up here burrrrr! I knew they wouldn’t last, some sort of cotton/rubber dipped but I’ll keep using them for now.

Looking for a glove that can take some sparks but isn’t as bulky as welding gloves?
What do you recommend

I just use normal leather gloves.

I use the silicone dipped cotton gloves that they sell in packs at the box stores. They hold up fine.

The finger tips are what pretty much kills my welding gloves, they are still fine for holding a grinder. If you want something to hold up I think you need leather, as a side note the stomach area of all my sweatshirts are full of holes from the grinder debris

Drivers gloves for everything for me. Are you looking for something with a little vibration dampening? Tillman, and maybe others, make lined drivers gloves. Might try those

I’m not really sure what exactly I want. The gloves I killed were these:
1640986372428.jpeg

They were warm and comfortable but I burned holes in the top of them lol

driver gloves, or similar to the milwaukees you just posted are what i use most. i use the driver gloves 5x as much as the type oyu posted.

if i comes down to a little bit extra warmth, dont spend extra on the gloves, where nilrile gloves or glove liners under tham

When you guys refer to driver gloves you mean like these?

Something a rancher would wear?

yes
plain ol leather gloves
I prefer the goatskins, but each to their own

yes
plain ol leather gloves
I prefer the goatskins, but each to their own
I have some gloves from the next section down but the stitching usually lets go and they aren’t comfortable. I’ll spend some cheddar on some good gloves

When buying gloves like that pay attention to the stitching on the index finger.

Pictured top: will last quite a while.
Bottom : you will be cussing yourself within a week from sparks running in the seam.
36ECD219-6F54-4218-9759-9B50F5373BF7.jpeg

Buy gloves with the stitching on the inside.

yes. a driver golve sold at a weld shop will usuallyt have better stiching.

i buy these type glove one size to big, and shrink to my hands, for a perfect fit anf longer lasting... with a propane torch. every pair you buy will fit different, make them right for you.
skin type will determine comfort and how long they last.

goat shin is what many tig gloves are made of. thin and good feeling

elk are what some of the better stick mig gloves are made of.

i use regular/ cheap cow hide. unless your in a shop that provides gloves for you everyone has a different favorite

I used to borrow these from work at my old company. Haven't worked there in a couple years and I'm about out and I like them so much I'll probably spend my own money on them. :laughing:

1641053829900.png

They also have some that the fabric is more cut resistant. A buddy works in a big company's fab/welding shop and that's why they provide.

I'm going to guess the ones you posted are nylon (or other "plastic"). Obviously, sparks are going to melt plastic.

I don't know how much warmth you need, but I wear TIG gloves a lot when I want something between me and the tools. They're not bulky like work gloves, offer some protection, and a bit of warmth.

You won’t catch me touching much of anything with out gloves on, and because of that I’m pretty picky about how they fit. I have fairly big hands. Mechanix brand and a few others always seem to have to long of a thumb or a pinky or both. The gloves that seem to fit me and work best for what I do are just cheap harbor freight ones. Since gloves are a consumable cheap is better anyway. I use the shit out of these, $2 bucks a pair, $10 for a pack of 5 XL from HF. They don’t hold up for welding but I love them for any tool work except welding. I pretty much go through a pack a month and only occasionally get a pair that are shitty, sewed wrong, to small or whatever.

6B0D939C-9DEE-48A7-B8AB-1CB947B225A8.jpeg

We started buying the Tillman 1414s at work and I like them. Stitching is way better thought out than the Fastenal gloves and they fit my wide palmed hands better. For $8/pair they seem to hold up pretty good to.

You won’t catch me touching much of anything with out gloves on, and because of that I’m pretty picky about how they fit. I have fairly big hands. Mechanix brand and a few others always seem to have to long of a thumb or a pinky or both. The gloves that seem to fit me and work best for what I do are just cheap harbor freight ones. Since gloves are a consumable cheap is better anyway. I use the shit out of these, $2 bucks a pair, $10 for a pack of 5 XL from HF. They don’t hold up for welding but I love them for any tool work except welding. I pretty much go through a pack a month and only occasionally get a pair that are shitty, sewed wrong, to small or whatever.

6B0D939C-9DEE-48A7-B8AB-1CB947B225A8.jpeg
If harbor freight gloves fit your hands, you don't have large hands :homer:

They are all at least 1 size smaller than they say.

I'm going to guess the ones you posted are nylon (or other "plastic"). Obviously, sparks are going to melt plastic.
They shred from hard use long before that happens.

If you're a dumbass and get the rubber ones the oil melts them.

If harbor freight gloves fit your hands, you don't have large hands :homer:

They are all at least 1 size smaller than they say.
not the one size fits all gloves, the xtra large ones fit just right. If those don’t fit you there Shane Carwin, sorry bout your luck. The one size fits all don’t fit me at all

No. XXL usually fit just fine. Well, as long as they stretch when making a fist.

Thick, stuff gloves don't work for me.

No. XXL usually fit just fine. Well, as long as they stretch when making a fist.

Thick, stuff gloves don't work for me.
Sorry about your anvils. Just because yours are bigger, doesn’t mean mine aren’t large. When you measure up you start at your asshole don’t you:flipoff2:

I can get away with mechanix fast fit for just grinding and handling of cold metal. I'm not doing it every day, but I get a season out of a pair for everything I do (not just metal work).

I absolutely love my Miller MIG gloves though, bloody expensive but incredibly comfortable and have held up well...they're going on several years of use for strictly welding and handling of hot metal. Next time I do a Miller order, I'm going to pick up a pair of their metal workers gloves too.

Tillman 1415. I usually wear through the leather in the finger tips before a seam splits.

Quality leather gloves are hard to come by. I can’t stand ones linked sold at Home Depot or Harbor freight. Just junk. I was able to find some a little better at Ace Hardware which are going on several years now.

The Lincoln leather gloves are probably my favorite for general purpose fab work. Takes a minute to break them in but once they are I'm not taking them off every 5 minutes to do other tasks.

A couple years back I went on a buying spree and bought just about every metal working type glove I could find and I liked these the best.

CM-000000DRDZ-Product-LINK2977-S-1200Wx1200H.jpeg

SKD FDT pig gloves are my go to. I wear gloves almost all the time. I have the opposite issue where i need a small or xsmall. They fit snug and last quite awhile. Finger tips of side seams are what fail on them all for me. SKD last the best so far.

Top Back Refresh