What's new

Grease Gun Tech in CC...

DRTDEVL

Mothfukle
Member Number
Loc
Austin... TX? Nope. Minnesota!
Not so much tech, but recommendations. Who TF makes a grease gun that actually works in the long-term? I finished my IFS rebuild today and went to lube everything up, only to find that not only did my pneumatic gun not want to do anything but make air noises, but my old manual pump gun shit the bed as well.

I go through way too many grease guns do to shitty manufacturing. Who actually makes one that I can lube everything I own, put it away, and then break it out again in 3-6 months and find it still working?

I have a cheap manual one I bought at Lowes a few years back. I use it maybe 3-4 times a year. No issues...

M18 fuel is what was recommended on the other forum when this came up.

I personally use and recommend the lockNlube gun and fittings. It’s a manual pump gun.

Last edited:
I can't answer the long term part, but I've had this dewalt for about 2yrs and love. The long hose is really nice, you can lay under your rig, lay it near you, and reach the hose up wherever you want under your rig. Probably been through 8-9 tubes mostly from other people borrowing it, everybody thats used it loves it. You can even refill it from 55gal drum

DCGG571M1_K1.jpg

Milwaukee Electric or Lincoln Manual.

I have two Lincolns, they have never given me problems. I don't grease enough to warrant an electric tool.

What I do, is I pull the back lever all the way out and lock it when I store them. I usually store them in a plastic bag, JUST in case they leak. But generally they don't.

Doesnt sound like you need an electric one.
For manual ones Ive been through probably 15 different ones that either stop working or get smashed somehow. The best one Ive owned is one I picked up at a Deere dealership that has never missed a beat. No idea who makes it, but its good quality.

Before the old pirate thread got axed someone recommended a caterpillar gun and a few others jumped in to back it up. Anyone have that info? If I remember correctly there were a couple of part numbers listed in the thread.

I'll second the Lock-N-Lube. My employees can fuck up an anvil, so I skipped the M18. They seem happy with the LnL, and we're going through more grease than with the pistol guns before. I'm assuming they're greasing more often since it's easier.

I have been let down by a Lincoln that I got from Napa a couple times in the last six or so years. I finally broke down and bought a Milwaukee and lube lock tip. Holy shit what a game changer. Stubborn fitting? gonna learn today

Before I throw money at a Milwaukee, do they ooze grease due to a hot garage? My pos manual drips so much I have to store it in a pan. I am trying to get away from that mess.

They make a cap for the back of the gun for just that reason
Like a condom for your grease gun

Leaking out of the gun, that is only part of it. It will usually loose prime from getting warm too, so everytime you grab the grease gun, it has to be re-primed. If it gets warm enough, the grease will leak past the piston into the lower section and resolidify later when it gets cold. What a fukkin mess to get sorted out.

I use mine a lot in the spring and early summer. Then it mostly sits the rest of the year, doing its damned best to irritate the hell outta me. Last thing I need is to spend coin on the Milwaukee one and have all the same problems.

if getting too hot causes the leaking issue when in storage, why not store them inside the house, in a bag or something?

if getting too hot causes the leaking issue when in storage, why not store them inside the house, in a bag or something?

I get it. The grease gun should go in the house so I can sleep in the garage. Dose not seem to be the battle I would choose.

I just got back from under the truck and broke mine when it it the wall at full speed.
Did get the rear driveline done though, sort of...
Subscribed...

The Milwaukee gun backs off pressure when you release the trigger. I have never noticed and grease leaking.

Before I throw money at a Milwaukee, do they ooze grease due to a hot garage? My pos manual drips so much I have to store it in a pan. I am trying to get away from that mess.

I have an unknown brand gun in the main tow rig toolbox. With 100+ heat and baking like an oven, it doesn't leak. Buy a good gun/hose.

The leakage from my grease gun that happens is not from the grease fitting but from the back where the T handle goes in. My garage is the same temp as my house and never gets above about 80 or below 50 and still some leaks out and drips on the garage floor. I just put them in a plastic bag. These are not cheap guns either, one lock N Lube and one Lincoln
gun_barrel_cap_blue_2000x.png

gun_barrel_cap_blue_2000x.png

You can switch to a higher temperature/better grease and your gun won't leak.

Or just store them in a 5 gallon bucket with a spill pad in the bottom. Which is what I do, since I often have one loaded with cheap thin grease.

Basically anything that takes a grease cartridge will leak if you're using thin low temperature grease that will separate.

Top Back Refresh