What's new

Goulash recipes

TSEJEEPERS

Member Number
American
Give me some recipes. Please!
I have tried some but they are all pretty bland.
This was a favorite when I was a kid.

There is a world of variables of what people call “Goulash”, this should be interesting
not to be confused with welfare or bachelor's slop....or I'm pretty high and this is whats fer eatn?
Ground or sausage meat can o baked beans, diced and sautayd unyuns garlic n some kinda colored pepper, maybe some cubes of potato, or if yer a heathen add some KD?
You mean that kinda shit?
Fangers!

I was not aware there was American goulash.:confused:
I’ve only had German goulash made by my grandmother or aunt that was fucking delicious.
It had no potatoes or beans. Lots of cubed meat, onions, peppers, and paprika.
I wish I had the recipe.

Hamburger Helper is, basically, American goulash. Ground meat, macaroni, and whatever seasonings and bs you desire.

Here's grandma's recipe for Hungarian gulyas (she's from the old country), transcribed from a cookbook she submitted the recipe to in 1968.

1lb beef flank
2 tbsp lard
1 large onion
1 green pepper
2 large carrots
2 parsley roots & greens
2 stalks celery
1 fresh tomato
4 medium size potatoes
1/4 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp salt
not more than 2 quarts water

Cut meat into squares, wash. Saute onion in lard, add paprika, stir well, add meat, salt, tomato, and 1/4 cup of water. Cook slowly for 1 hour. Add all of washed and diced vegetables but potatoes. Add another cup of water and cook slowly for 1/2 hour. Add potatoes, continue cooking for 15 minutes. Add 1 quart of cold water, let it come to a boil and cook for 10 minutes. Serve as a main dish.

Hahaha what my wife's family considered goolash wash exactly that. Goo.

Lb or two of ground meet.

Elbow macaroni.

2 cans of Tomato soup

Spices to flavour!

She grew up eating this plenty lol. Poor man's version.

I used 1lb hamburger, 1 chopped green pepper, 1 sweet onion, garlic, tomato sauce and paste with a pinch of sugar. I like smoked paprika but if not available some cajun seasoning will do. Once everything starts coming together add a can of beef broth.

Then add the macaroni. Do not add too much macaroni as it will soak up all the liquid.

Eman Resu's Grandmother's recipe is pretty close to the one we use. We don't put the potatoes and carrots in ours and we add a lot more paprika. We also serve ours over a bed of bow tie noodles. Pretty good eats in the winter with some homemade yeast rolls. Try to do it once a month or so.​

Growing up my dad made what he calle goulash. It was typically leftover beef roast or some type or round steak. He would put it in a pot to reheat with a little water and cut up onions. Basically cook it until the meat was heated up and onions softened. Then he would add a little flour and vinegar to make a gravy.

This was my newest attempt
Ingredients
I used 3 10 oz cans of Rotel instead of the tomato sauce and diced tomatoes.
The wife also put in some sriracha ketchup

2 tbsp.
olive oil
onion, chopped
garlic cloves, chopped
1 1/2 lb.
ground beef
(15 oz.) can beef broth
(15 oz). can tomato sauce
(15 oz.) can diced tomatoes
1 tbsp.
Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp.
seasoned salt
2 tsp.
dried Italian seasoning
1 tbsp.
ground paprika
1/2 tsp.
ground black pepper
2 c.
elbow macaroni
1 c.
sharp cheddar cheese, grated
Chopped fresh herbs, like parsley, chives, or dill, for garnish

Directions

1. Place the oil in a large dutch oven or pot and place over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the onion and cook until slightly softened, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 1 more minute. Add the ground beef, breaking it up into little pieces with a wooden spoon, and cook until no pink remains, about 5 minutes. If a lot of liquid or fat remain in the skillet, drain most and discard.
  2. Add the beef broth, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, 1/2 cup water, Worcestershire sauce, seasoned salt, Italian seasoning, paprika and ground black pepper. Stir to combine and return to a simmer.
  3. Add the macaroni and return the pot to a simmer once again. Reduce heat to medium low and cook for about 12 minutes, until the macaroni is tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and fold in the cheese. Stir until it is completely melted into the sauce. Serve topped with chopped herbs, if desired.

Top Back Refresh