What's new

Gooseneck axle questions

We are similar, the power unit sets the standard. Been awhile since I farm tagged a trailer (2010). Farm trailer tags may have gone away.

I had a triple axle 35’ bumper pull. 6k torsion axles. Manufacturer rated it to 14,500 GTWR, despite its combined GAWR is 18k. Unladen weight ~5k.
I put several thousands of miles on it over the 4 years I had it. Tires that came on it failed on my first trip with it. They got replaced with gladiator load F 235/75r16 If I remember correctly. Tires hardly show any wear when I sold it. I NEVER serviced it’s hubs or brakes. I won’t worry too much about tire wear or bearing problems. Just refrain from tight turns while loaded heavy.

It's one way or the other.

Either you should just get a 1st gen ranger to pull that load, or may as well just get a class 8 truck.

As far as the trailer. I believe the 7k and 8k axles are the same, and you can just upgrade the hubs to 8k. Then add good tires? Do you need a longer trai8K axles are heavyer and have biger bearings than 7K or at least my dexters do and with a 17.5 wheel i am good to like 5k per tire and out last 16' tires 5:1. By 17.5s for a low bed trailer and thank me later.

Quick Google says bigger tubes. 3" vs 3.5"

You may be able to put 8k hubs on a 7k axle, but I'm. Not how much difference you'll gain.

Edit: you'd gain bigger brakes and possibly bigger outter bearings.

you can replace the hubs with the etrailer.com Trailer Hub and Drum Assembly # AKHD-865-8-K. This 8,000 pound hub uses the same # 25580 inner bearing and the # 02475 outer bearing, which features the same 1.250 inch inner diameter as the # 14125A so it will work on your spindle. The hub has an 8 on 6-1/2 inch bolt pattern.

I had a triple axle single tire goose and never had any tire/hub problems. Turning tight you’d see the rims flex and chatter sometimes. I preferred not dealing with duals personally. Checking pressure and visually inspecting things was easy.

Not sure how big of a deal rocks getting wedged between the tires when driving on dirt/gravel roads might be.

TIL all the shit I've been building out of 3" Sch40 and old truck parts is ~8k :lmao:

can you not stick the bucket above the neck to get the brush hog on?
The length fits fine with the brush hog attached. it's a case of the mower is too wide to fit between the fenders to sit on the deck in transport. So it rides like shit.

I looked at a 07 Big Tex 20k 20+5 on Saturday. seller was asking $8k. Said he would take $7 on the phone. I get there and it's a bit rougher than I expected. he told me the deck had a couple boards that needed replaced. a couple needed replaced pronto but the rest of the decking was pretty soft. i would have replaced it this winter. 3 of the tires needed replaced pretty soon as well. the cross brace between the uprights on the neck was bent as well like someone had set a excavator bucket on it.Iin the end I offered $6500 and he declined. he said he had other people interested in it. I told him yeah but I'm here right now with cash not on the phone. I felt my offer was fair and wasn't willing to spend more than that with the work that it would need.
Honestly if I do upgrade to a deckover I will most likely find a 20+5 or 22+5 single wheel and just put 14 ply tires on it. like others have said I like the idea of only 4 tires to maintain, I am hauling <10k pounds max. From what I have seen I can get a brand new Starlite brand 14k 20+5 for about $8500 right now. I am going to wait 'til spring and see what the market does.. I have a feeling the economy is gonna correct and all the free money and cheap credit is gonna dry up.

I ordered a dual tandem PJ a few years ago and on of the covers to the oil bath broke after going over a bridge abutment this summer. Thinking about changing them to greaseable hubs. It is a 23' +5' with the monster ramps and the deck actually measures 28' with the ramps folded down.

So you really just need a 102? I'd be tempted to modify your trailer. Is it I-beam or channel?
Channel frame

This is with it loaded backwards and it rode like shit.

Attachments

• IMG_20210922_152538254_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210922_152538254_HDR.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 46
I'm guessing theres not enough room between the ramps and fender for the mower to fit? Even with the wheel hanging out the back between the ramps.
There is enough room length wise with the tail wheel between the ramps. The mower is too wide to sit on the deck between the fenders though. I'm going to see about fabbing up some racks for each side to drop into the stake pockets that I can lower the mower onto. Transporting with the mower lifted, it sways and bounces and I'm sure it's not good for the tractor.

I'm getting at is why pull that far forward?

Does it not fit like my beautiful rendering? M for mower and the C on the neck for buck

There isn't enough room on the deck behind the fenders for the mower to sit flat. With the ramps up that is.

Seems like you are the perfect canidate for single wheel 10k axles. You get the capacity with a lighter trailer and look way more inconspicuous. My next trailer is going to be a 28' single wheel with 10k axles and drive over fenders.

Loadtrail ego228 to be exact

Last edited:
Seems like you are the perfect canidate for single wheel 10k axles. You get the capacity with a lighter trailer and look way more inconspicuous. My next trailer is going to be a 28' single wheel with 10k axles and drive over fenders

Then you can haul D6's and 315 excavators! :flipoff2:

So I measured the distance from the stand up ramps to the rear of the fender and it's 5'8". My mower is a 7' cut so too long to drop down behind the fenders unless I take my ramps off.

I am gonna hold off on switching trailers 'til Spring and see what happens.. I'll build a rack that drops in the stake pockets to support the mower for now.

May want to look into the whole 10k drive over theory. I was told I couldnt go bigger than 8k due to the size of the brakes/hubs.

Deck over wouldnt matter, the rails/neck are narrower than a lowboy. Or you build it yourself.

Edit: looked for the Eg0228 but couldnt find pics.

Dexter makes the axles and they run 17.5 tires. Ive seen them in person. Of course i can gind a pic eather right now but they just look like any other drive over fender trailer untill you go under and see the 5" tubes.

Anyhow here is the discription and a link to the axles

Screenshot_20211004-173753_Samsung Internet.jpg

Which is why I wanted to see a pic.

Your axle link shows 74 hub face and 46/47 spring center. Those are for a deck over, 74 hub face wouldnt work with a 82" between the fenders on a lowboy.

It does say torsion axles, which has peaked my interest. My 102 lowboy has <.5" between backing plate and frame with 8ks. I'd love to see one set up with 10ks.
I might have deleted pics since then, so nothing close. But I came across a PJ H7 at a dealer back in January. Website says 10k Torsion. I remember the “frame rails” did run inboard several inches from the fenders. Also might be more like 80” between the fenders.

54B2453A-92E8-494C-ACA5-37127F4861A5.jpeg
A7A60568-989D-4F0B-907E-E050A204C68C.jpeg

The ass end of that trailer looks to be mid of the tire/wheel. No more or less than a dove.

Yea it kinda does in that pic, looks to be about 6" savings at most .... also their marketing says it's best for that .... marketing doesn't lie. :laughing:

There is enough room length wise with the tail wheel between the ramps. The mower is too wide to sit on the deck between the fenders though. I'm going to see about fabbing up some racks for each side to drop into the stake pockets that I can lower the mower onto. Transporting with the mower lifted, it sways and bounces and I'm sure it's not good for the tractor.
Pallets are cheap, stack enough to be above your fenders and set the mower down on them (perhaps with a couple 4x4s crossways on top of the pallets if needed). That will let you see if it ride well before you fab something up.

Aaron Z

Pallets are cheap, stack enough to be above your fenders and set the mower down on them (perhaps with a couple 4x4s crossways on top of the pallets if needed). That will let you see if it ride well before you fab something up.

Aaron Z
that is actually a really good idea.. :beer:

that is actually a really good idea.. :beer:
Always with the surprise:grinpimp:
Just make sure you aren't setting the blades or the stump jumper on the pallets if that's an older mower with a Spanish gearbox. IIRC they had a near 100% failure rate for the gearbox output shaft.

Aaron Z

Always with the surprise:grinpimp:
Just make sure you aren't setting the blades or the stump jumper on the pallets if that's an older mower with a Spanish gearbox. IIRC they had a near 100% failure rate for the gearbox output shaft.

Aaron Z
the mower is a Deere 709. no stump jumper on it. I will most likely grab a couple 4x4s to lay crossways on the pallets so the mower sides rest on the 4x4s instead of the output/blade crossbar resting on the pallet.

the mower is a Deere 709. no stump jumper on it. I will most likely grab a couple 4x4s to lay crossways on the pallets so the mower sides rest on the 4x4s instead of the output/blade crossbar resting on the pallet.
I think it was the MX series (MX5, MX6, MX7, etc) that had the problem, probably still best to avoid chaining the mower down on the blades.

Aaron Z

May want to look into the whole 10k drive over theory. I was told I couldnt go bigger than 8k due to the size of the brakes/hubs.

Deck over wouldnt matter, the rails/neck are narrower than a lowboy. Or you build it yourself.

Edit: looked for the Eg0228 but couldnt find pics.

Ok, just got real world in person pictures. Everything looks normal except the 17.5 wheels and massive studs
20211013_071440.jpg
20211013_071323.jpg
20211013_071315.jpg
20211013_071305.jpg

Top Back Refresh