What's new

Gooseneck axle questions

Wades_76_cj7

RZR guy, NO I am not gay..
Member Number
Loc
KC MO
Looking to replace my current 14k 28' lowboy with a heavier trailer. Looking at tandem dual axle trailers. Some are pierced frame but most are not in the used market. Found a used triple 7k lowboy 30' long for sale for slightly less than the tandem duals. I do like the lower deck height of the 82" lowboy trailer but wondered how much I will be replacing tires and wheel bearings on a triple 7k vs the oil bath 10k tandem duals.

Depends on the use.

I worked with a shorty dump triple axle. It ate tires and ever blew a spindle off it. But we were constantly backing into tight quarters in apartment complexes and such. Youre not going to be doing that with a 30'. If youre are constantly piroetting turns with a load, yeah, youre gona scrub the tires off it. Normal road use and wide turns youll be ok.

Depends on the use.

I worked with a shorty dump triple axle. It ate tires and ever blew a spindle off it. But we were constantly backing into tight quarters in apartment complexes and such. Youre not going to be doing that with a 30'. If youre are constantly piroetting turns with a load, yeah, youre gona scrub the tires off it. Normal road use and wide turns youll be ok.
After thinking about it some more I think I will stick with tandem duals. being 30'+ I have a feeling I will be scrubbing the tires a lot pulling it into driveways and turning around. The oil bath axles will probably hold up to that abuse better. the 102" wide deck will be nice as well. I will just look for a pierced frame 20k trailer to keep it as low as possible.

I've been researching for a new gooseneck for the last few months. I can't answer your questions specifically, but from what I've gathered, and whats guiding my shopping .....

1 - Triple axles are a PIA and do eat tires, I can't say how fast. I feel like this is why they are often sold as well.
2 - People dislike the low trailers because they often drag the minute you get off pavement.

The guy I was camping next to at KoH was damn near about to cut his dovetail off right there from dragging it.... his buddy behind him loved it though ... made the road smoother LOL. So unless you're planning to put a tall camper or monster truck on it I wouldn't bother.

For those reasons I'm shopping for the low deck over type. Like this Diamond C for example:

module-comparison-FMAX-straight-deck.jpg

The deck is over the tires, but every consideration has been taken to keep it as low as possible including plate over the tires vs a thicker wood deck and the top of wood deck is flush with the top of the rails vs a whole other layer over them. Also no dovetail.

Just my $.02

I've been researching for a new gooseneck for the last few months. I can't answer your questions specifically, but from what I've gathered, and whats guiding my shopping .....

1 - Triple axles are a PIA and do eat tires, I can't say how fast. I feel like this is why they are often sold as well.
2 - People dislike the low trailers because they often drag the minute you get off pavement.

The guy I was camping next to at KoH was damn near about to cut his dovetail off right there from dragging it.... his buddy behind him loved it though ... made the road smoother LOL. So unless you're planning to put a tall camper or monster truck on it I wouldn't bother.

For those reasons I'm shopping for the low deck over type. Like this Diamond C for example:

The deck is over the tires, but every consideration has been taken to keep it as low as possible including plate over the tires vs a thicker wood deck and the top of wood deck is flush with the top of the rails vs a whole other layer over them. Also no dovetail.

Just my $.02
Yea that deckover trailer is what I was referring to with the pierced frame. From my understanding the frame rails are cut so the crossmembers can be installed flush with the top of the frame rails. Which should lower the deck height about 3-4" depending on crossmember height. I want a dovetail just for ease of loading tractor and other equipment. :beer:

I don't have personal experience using both, but I say tandem dual > triples.

There are compromises and benefits of both, you can see a lot of opinions from hay guys if you Google it.

Yea that deckover trailer is what I was referring to with the pierced frame. From my understanding the frame rails are cut so the crossmembers can be installed flush with the top of the frame rails. Which should lower the deck height about 3-4" depending on crossmember height. I want a dovetail just for ease of loading tractor and other equipment. :beer:

How heavy is your tractor or intentions?

Just my $.02

The ass end of that trailer looks to be mid of the tire/wheel. No more or less than a dove.

How heavy is your tractor or intentions?
I need to weigh the tractor but I am guessing just tractor and FEL I am in the 7k pound range. add 13-1400# for my 3 point brush hog. I should be under 10k most of the time. But everyone knows trailers get overloaded. Current trailer weighs 3k on the axles. I have weighed truck and trailer at the Cat scale and that is what the weight ticket said. 12k gross weight empty. Truck is a 2015 Cummins CCSB 4wd. I would be ok with 28' or so trailer but that length gets so heavy empty with a 14k single wheel there isn't much usable weight capacity left.

Tandem dual for 10k max is pretty overkill. What about 8k oil bath axles and 14 ply tires?
This is IBB I am surprised everyone isn't telling me I need a MDT to pull my RZR trailer around. :flipoff2:

Looking at used and 8k axles are a more recent thing. none of the dealers have anything in stock unless it's $$$

It's one way or the other.

Either you should just get a 1st gen ranger to pull that load, or may as well just get a class 8 truck.

As far as the trailer. I believe the 7k and 8k axles are the same, and you can just upgrade the hubs to 8k. Then add good tires? Do you need a longer trailer?

It's one way or the other.

Either you should just get a 1st gen ranger to pull that load, or may as well just get a class 8 truck.

As far as the trailer. I believe the 7k and 8k axles are the same, and you can just upgrade the hubs to 8k. Then add good tires? Do you need a longer trailer?
I was under the impression that the 8k axles are oil bath?

I need at least 2' longer but 4' longer would be better for tractor plus 3pt mower. Am wanting to buy a pull behind brush hog in the future so a 30-32' trailer will be needed for that.. Trying to plan and cover future needs.

Tandem dual for 10k max is pretty overkill. What about 8k oil bath axles and 14 ply tires?

X2 that's what all the cool kids run.

This is IBB I am surprised everyone isn't telling me I need a MDT to pull my RZR trailer around. :flipoff2:

Looking at used and 8k axles are a more recent thing. none of the dealers have anything in stock unless it's $$$

Like anything else... it's a sellers not buyers market. Tons of dual tandems floating around.

When I ordered my GN 2 years ago, it was built in 6 weeks, even then 8ks were non-existent. I called a month or so back to confirm something and was told they're 12+ months out on custom orders.

X2 that's what all the cool kids run.

Like anything else... it's a sellers not buyers market. Tons of dual tandems floating around.

When I ordered my GN 2 years ago, it was built in 6 weeks, even then 8ks were non-existent. I called a month or so back to confirm something and was told they're 12+ months out on custom orders.

That is why I am looking at tandem duals. There are some used trailers out there. Can the duals be converted to 17.5" singles economically?

I was under the impression that the 8k axles are oil bath?

Yes, it's nothing crazy though, just different caps and different seals, maybe?

They're better on paper, but if you have a leak, you're kinda fucked. My buddy has converted a lot of them to grease.

I need at least 2' longer but 4' longer would be better for tractor plus 3pt mower. Am wanting to buy a pull behind brush hog in the future so a 30-32' trailer will be needed for that.. Trying to plan and cover future needs.

Gotcha, I thought you said that, but couldn't find it in this thread :homer:

That is why I am looking at tandem duals. There are some used trailers out there. Can the duals be converted to 17.5" singles economically?

I was curious about that as well. I'm sure you can figure out what 4 tires and wheels cost. Then it's just hom much you can sell the tandem dual stuff for.

One nice thing about tandem dual 20k's is that you can get away with pretty weak tires since they only need to hold ~2500 ea.

Wouldnt go out of my way to convert unless it needs new rubber.

Common for hot shots so they 'look' like a 14k trailer. Dual tandem is automatic 26k+. Shouldnt be a problem since you're acting farmer

another bonus to running the 16" E rated tires is finding a replacement on a road trip if necessary.. used truck tire can be used in a pinch. a 17.5 might require spending the night somewhere..

Wouldnt go out of my way to convert unless it needs new rubber.

Common for hot shots so they 'look' like a 14k trailer. Dual tandem is automatic 26k+. Shouldn't be a problem since you're acting farmer

This is kinda my thoughts too. I don't have a name or #'s on the door and hauling a tractor I doubt I will get messed with. I run 24k plates on my truck as well.

The ass end of that trailer looks to be mid of the tire/wheel. No more or less than a dove.
exactly what i was thinking, might as well buy a dovetail because the ass of that trailer hangs just as low :laughing:

going to look at a 2003 PJ deck over 20k tandem dually tonight. listed at $10k but talking with him I asked him what his cash price was and he said $8. Supposedly all new LED lights, front axle was replaced last year to the tune of $6k from the same dealer I bought my current trailer from. Story I got was he was hauling hay with it and cut a corner a little sharp and dropped the wheel in the ditch and bent an axle.. all new hangers, axle and 4 new tires/wheels on that axle. It also comes with the 4 old tires and wheels as well so I would have a total of 5 spares. I will definitely be looking it over closely for cracked welds or anything of that nature..

I think the trailer market is getting ready to correct. I see a lot of ads on FBMP for trailers that have been listed for a week or more and the prices are getting reduced.. Same with used compact tractors around here..

Yes, it's nothing crazy though, just different caps and different seals, maybe?

They're better on paper, but if you have a leak, you're kinda fucked. My buddy has converted a lot of them to grease.

Normally just a new sight glass cap. The rear seal is the same on both.

I recently converted one of my trailers from oil bath to grease as well at the recommendation of the manufacturer. Said that they do oil baths to appease OEM’s, but in reality grease hubs are better in almost every application because of what you said on leaks. You’re not normally going to catch an oil hub leak on the road and the bearings burn up the spindle in a big hurry once the oil leaks out. Grease always gives you a chance if you have a bad seal or neglect it.

Grease always gives you a chance if you have a bad seal or neglect it.

I think you are probably right. you can see a little grease getting slung out and think I better look at them when I get home/time..

Normally just a new sight glass cap. The rear seal is the same on both.

I recently converted one of my trailers from oil bath to grease as well at the recommendation of the manufacturer. Said that they do oil baths to appease OEM’s, but in reality grease hubs are better in almost every application because of what you said on leaks. You’re not normally going to catch an oil hub leak on the road and the bearings burn up the spindle in a big hurry once the oil leaks out. Grease always gives you a chance if you have a bad seal or neglect it.
Why do the OEMs want oil? For that .0001mpg?

I have a few different goosenecks. My main 2 are a 14k 24' tandem single, and a 32' tandem dual.
I HATE my tandem dual.
Adding valve stem extensions would help, because no gas station hose will reach either inners or outers.
And it never fails when I go to the tire shop, they never index the windows on the wheels to match the outers to inners.
They are also extremely heavy.
Plus, you're likely to get tagged overweight. I've had mine for 10 years and have never been busted. But it is possible.
I'm with the other guys. I'm converting my 24' to 8k oil bath axles.

Looking at 20+5 20k trailers right now.. only a foot longer than what I have so I won't have trouble getting into tight places with it. I would be ok with a 14k deckover 24-26' if i can find one for a reasonable price..

That is a valid point about running a 14k trailer and just upgrade the tires to G rated. Would keep the weight cops attention on someone else.

Last edited:
Are you able to run a farm tag on your trailer? Unless you just need/want the extra hauling capacity a tandem dual GN will draw DOT attention and four more tires to keep up with. Lamar and Texas Pride offer a 16k tandem/single that may be a better fit for you.

FWIW I would never have a trailer with oil bath axles again. They will leak all over your brakes when you turn with a heavy load. Oil baths are easy to just pull off and grease.

Are you able to run a farm tag on your trailer? Unless you just need/want the extra hauling capacity a tandem dual GN will draw DOT attention and four more tires to keep up with. Lamar and Texas Pride offer a 16k tandem/single that may be a better fit for you.

FWIW I would never have a trailer with oil bath axles again. They will leak all over your brakes when you turn with a heavy load. Oil baths are easy to just pull off and grease.
MO doesn't have different plates for trailers.. The farm tags are on the truck but then limited to 150 miles from home unless on business from the farm. ie. delivering/picking up grain, livestock, other ag products.

Top Back Refresh