What's new

Goodbye.

61scout80

Anchored. Finally.
Member Number
Loc
Crestwood, KY
I had to say goodbye last Sunday. After 13 years and 5 months her body failed, although her mind was still so sharp.

I've worked from home, with her by my side, for the last 7 years. This week was the first time I felt alone. I'll miss her forever.

Goodbye Alexia.

IMG_20200628_112805-01.jpeg

IMG_20200422_175241-01.jpeg

IMG_20200228_164055-01-01.jpeg

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

God speed Alexia... She'll be waiting for you

So sorry for your loss. Losing your best friend and family member, especially when their mind is still there, is devastating. I hope you keep the fond memories in front.

I lost one as well this past March. It's the hardest thing I've ever had to endure. Her sister is still with us, which is great, but you can see it's not just humans that take loss badly.

Aww, fuck. So sorry to hear it.

Be well.

So sorry for your loss. Losing your best friend and family member, especially when their mind is still there, is devastating. I hope you keep the fond memories in front.

I lost one as well this past March. It's the hardest thing I've ever had to endure. Her sister is still with us, which is great, but you can see it's not just humans that take loss badly.

Thanks, and sorry to hear about your pup as well. There needs to be a stronger word than devistating for this but I just don't know it. I've lost 16 pounds and have barely been able to function, but I get the feeling you understand all too well.

You are completely correct about our animals also feeling the loss with us. Even the cat is a wreck. He keeps running to the various places Alexia would lay and meowing. He screams like he's in pain where her food dish was and he keeps looking out the windows. I had to move some things out immediatly, I couldn't take the empty bed next to me in my office. But her basket of toys is still where it was. If my wife or I aren't available the cat will pull out some of Alexia's favorite toys and curl up with them.

In 2013 Alexia got sick and spent a week in NC State's veternary ICU. I thought I was going to lose her then, but that place saved her. It helped me realize that I'm lucky to have her. From that day forward I made sure there were no days that I didn't do something special for her. I'm thankful I was able to reach that conclusion. It limits the "I should have..." thoughts to know that we had so many good days between then and now. But I sure wish I could have just one more.

I posted that and then found the cat laying in Alexia's favorite spot and he pulled a bunch of her stuff out again. He's struggling with this as much as I am....

IMG_20200727_065155-01.jpeg

Ugh, this sucks. Sorry for your loss. :frown:

The one thing that is worthy to note is that shepherd made it 13 long years. She must have been happy and well cared for!

Sorry to hear man. Hardest thing I've gone through for sure.

Sorry man.

No solace, but she's playing with my pups and waiting for us. Gibson, Moe and May will show her the ropes.

fucking allergies...

She was a good dog, you are so lucky to have had the time with her.

I am blessed with a wonderful dog, I sometimes get so sad thinking that one day he won't be here anymore.

"If when I die and go to heaven, if there are no dogs then I want to go where they went."

- Will Rogers

Sorry for your loss.

Ugh, this sucks. Sorry for your loss. :frown:

The one thing that is worthy to note is that shepherd made it 13 long years. She must have been happy and well cared for!

Thank you. I'm just now getting to the point where I can appreciate that.

There's a lot to be said about diet and excercise. There were plenty of times I wondered if her food was more money monthly than mine. Worth every penny.
I'd walk her daily too. I think that had more effect on her longevity than anything else. If there was something going on where she didn't get to go for 2 or more days she was significantly worse off. Slow, steady walks at her pace once or twice a day are far more important than anyone gives credit for. You need to keep those joints moving, even if it seems like the compasionate thing would be to let them rest.

fucking allergies...

She was a good dog, you are so lucky to have had the time with her.

I am blessed with a wonderful dog, I sometimes get so sad thinking that one day he won't be here anymore.

I struggled with that. It's as bad as you think it will be. Do something to make your pup happy everyday. Even through the worst of this I haven't had one "I wish I did this differently." I'm at peace without regret because we had our time every single day.

One unexpected thing that I've expereinced is the desire to have another dog someday. I always thought that going through this would be so hard that I'd never want to do it again. A day or two afterwards I came to the realization that I can't go through the rest of my life without a love that powerful again. I need a lot of time, but I think I'll have a new friend way earlier than I thought. I just need enough time to pass. I need to be ready to love a dog for who they are. For now I just want Alexia back.

Sorry man.

No solace, but she's playing with my pups and waiting for us. Gibson, Moe and May will show her the ropes.

I'm sorry to hear about Alexia, it's a tough, tough thing to lose a best friend. I had to put my 10 year old Lab Max down the end of last year and I miss him every day.

But as Grendel said she's playing with his dogs Gibson, Moe and May. My boys Max, Lew, Whammer, Brown, Chocks are welcoming her and playing with her too.

Sorry for your loss man,

RIP Alexia.

She's in good company, with my Aussie Blue. And many other here.

I am very very sorry. I wish I knew a way to take the pain away from people that have lost their best friend. One of the strongest guys I know, called me balling because he lost his best friend. I felt so helpless. The last time I cried it was over losing a dog....

That hurts... like any other family loss.

Alexia looked like an amazing pal and family member.

That hurts... like any other family loss.

Alexia looked like an amazing pal and family member.

She was the best. She didn't care what we did as long as she was with me. She's seen more of this country than most people I know.

She didn't like water. Her first time at the beach she was her curious self as the waves receded. She tried sniffing the waves as the water moved out, walking along to keep up. When the waves came back in she ran like the zombies were coming. Water went back out, she ran to the edge of the water and took a shit in the surf.

She loved everyone and everthing. If there was a barefoot baby around she'd lick their feet to make them giggle and spin around in delight. She'd lay down until the baby settled and do it all again.

When we lived in Arizona we were helping a local rescue by fostering dogs. She was like some sort of halfway house counseler for the dogs we pulled from the E list. She made sure they knew it was her place, but still showed patience and helped them get up to speed on how to act. Here's a short video of her playing with one of those dogs. She was really special. I'm happy I realized it while she was around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTSYcrmbOCM

Top Back Refresh