What's new

Good Knife set

Wildjon

Member Number
Tired of my cheap ass knife set...any recommendations on a good set/best bang for my $$$?

Wife has a set of Wusthof that I got her off Cutleryandmore.com several years ago. I believe hers are the Gran Prix line II. German made and a pretty good bang for the buck.

We have a bunch of Wusthof stuff, I didn't like the sets so I put my own together. I don't remember which series they are, they seem to do ok for what they are.

What is the budget? How many knives do you want? You can do a lot with a chef knife, utility, and a filet.
look for restaurant supply style knives for utility and value. I think wusthof are overpriced for what you get. If you can, get forged knives instead of stamped. Most quality knives will have the steel material and country of origin on the blade. Don’t get anything serrated, stainless, 440 surgical stainless, etc. High carbon steel knives are durable and won’t rust easily. Some of the really fancy Japanese style or Damascus will rust if not cared for well.

I like High carbon non stainless stuff.

I've been buying a few New West Knifeworks as it's USA made stuff and works well. I've whittled my knifes down to 3-4 for 95% of my needs.

For an entry level setup, the Gourmet is a good line of knives. They are laser cut / stamped steel, and hold a pretty good edge but aren't a strong as a forged blade.

For a mid to high end line, I'd go with the Wusthof Classics as they're a really made well forged knife.

If you want to spend more and get the fancier and arguably more comfortable handles, I'd go for the Wusthof Classic Ikons if cost isn't an issue, they'll last forever and are really nice knives to use.

There's also Japanese knives, but you're getting into a whole different animal with care and maintenance.

If you're looking for a cheap, super tough, and durable knife that's proven in restaurants and more than tough enough for home use, go with the Dexter-Russell knives or the Mercer knives. I like to go to restaurant supply houses as they typically have a large selection and offer really good pricing.

Even though I own a lot of really high end knives, I love the Dexter fillet knives. They're the knife of choice in commercial fisheries and on party boats where they get a lot of hard use.

My brother got me a Victorinox Fibrox 8" chef's knife for Christmas and that has become my favorite knife.
View attachment 377497
Still very sharp (haven't had to sharpen it yet) and it's nicely balanced.
I am sure that the fancy high carbon steel knives are nicer, but for what we do it works well and I like it better than the Calphalon ones that I have pieced together.

Aaron Z

I watch offer up for Wusthof. Lots of brides got them for their weddings and have no idea what they're worth. Picked up a forged German set for $30

My brother got me a Victorinox Fibrox 8" chef's knife for Christmas and that has become my favorite knife.
View attachment 377497
Still very sharp (haven't had to sharpen it yet) and it's nicely balanced.
I am sure that the fancy high carbon steel knives are nicer, but for what we do it works well and I like it better than the Calphalon ones that I have pieced together.

Aaron Z
I have one of their filet knives and this series gets good reviews. Definitely a good value.

What is the budget? How many knives do you want?

For an entry level setup, the Gourmet is a good line of knives. They are laser cut / stamped steel, and hold a pretty good edge but aren't a strong as a forged blade.

For a mid to high end line, I'd go with the Wusthof Classics as they're a really made well forged knife.

If you want to spend more and get the fancier and arguably more comfortable handles, I'd go for the Wusthof Classic Ikons if cost isn't an issue, they'll last forever and are really nice knives to use.

There's also Japanese knives, but you're getting into a whole different animal with care and maintenance.

If you're looking for a cheap, super tough, and durable knife that's proven in restaurants and more than tough enough for home use, go with the Dexter-Russell knives or the Mercer knives. I like to go to restaurant supply houses as they typically have a large selection and offer really good pricing.

Even though I own a lot of really high end knives, I love the Dexter fillet knives. They're the knife of choice in commercial fisheries and on party boats where they get a lot of hard use.
So the budget is flexible but I don't care to spend over $200 if I can help it. No idea what I want...I typically use the chef and the Santoku knife. Maybe I eventually want a filet knife. Steak knives I have are decent, just cheap. Tired of having to sharpen them every other use. They get washed immediately and put away dry. I don't need top of the line, just something that stays decently sharp and feels nice.

So the budget is flexible but I don't care to spend over $200 if I can help it. No idea what I want...I typically use the chef and the Santoku knife. Maybe I eventually want a filet knife. Steak knives I have are decent, just cheap. Tired of having to sharpen them every other use. They get washed immediately and put away dry. I don't need top of the line, just something that stays decently sharp and feels nice.
I think the set I bought the wife was $225ish and that included the knife block. 8" chef, 3" paring, 4" utility, 6" sandwich, bread, steel. Wife has since added a Santoku.

Wife uses the chef and Santoku more than anything else really.

I would like to get a big slicer for working up brisket but doesn't look like they make anything other than steak knives in the Gran Prix II line anymore.

Do you need the knife block and scissors?
and
would get you everything but the scissors and the block for $160.
We switched to putting knives in a block on the end of one of the cabinets and much prefer it, out of reach of the younger kids and doesn't take up counter space.

Aaron Z

Do you need the knife block and scissors?
and
would get you everything but the scissors and the block for $160.
We switched to putting knives in a block on the end of one of the cabinets and much prefer it, out of reach of the younger kids and doesn't take up counter space.

Aaron Z
I use a block for my “set” of wusthof classics, which I wish had less of a bolster so it was easier to sharpen. But I use the magnetic knife holder mounted to the side of a cabinet for all of my everyday miscellaneous knives.

Also, the zwilling Henkel knives (made in Europe not Asia) are a nice brand. Comparable to wusthof.

All you really need is a paring knife and a chef’s knife. It’s handy to have others but if you haven’t used them you won’t miss them. I like Japanese knives, they aren’t cheap but they are awesome. Like going from a ragged out Kia to a Mercedes if you actually cook. You also need a wood cutting board. Never cut on the counter, a plate, or glass. Never put them in the dishwasher. These won’t really rust unless you leave them in a sink full of water, and rarely need to be sharpened.

Steak knives shouldn’t ever need to be sharpened, they are serrated for a reason.

Last edited:
All you really need is a paring knife and a chef’s knife. It’s handy to have others but if you haven’t used them you won’t miss them. I like Japanese knives, they aren’t cheap but they are awesome. Like going from a ragged out Kito a Mercedes if you actually cook. You also need a wood cutting board. Never cut on the counter, a plate, or glass. Never put them in the dishwasher. These won’t really rust unless you leave them in a sink full of water, and rarely need to be sharpened.

Steak knives shouldn’t ever need to be sharpened, they are serrated for a reason.

My buddy introduced me to Shun and the next kitchen knives I get will be them.

The Shuns are great knives, but you need to shop around to get a good price. A lot of guys hate on them because they're heavily marketed and one of the more popular knives, so they get a lot of abuse from regular users. I picked up 8 Shun Premiers half off and they're fantastic. Paired with my Henkels and Wusthof Ikons, I have a knife to cover everything.

They also require a lot of care and you can't leave them laying around wet overnight or they'll develop rust and weaken the blades. Wipe them down as you use them, clean them, dry them, and hand towel them before putting them away. Never put them in a dishwasher either as they will bang around and get damaged.

Since they're very hard steel, you need to avoid using stone, glass, and plastic cutting boards. Wood is the best as it will give a little if the blades go into the board. I use very soft wood made specifically for Japanese knives. The extremely hard steel also makes them somewhat brittle and you can chip the edges if you try to cut though bone or frozen materials, so you have to be careful about what you're cutting and use the right knife for the job.

You can't beat Japanese knives for sharpness and they have perfected specific knife designs for every task imaginable.

A decent chef’s knife with a filet knife with a paring knife will get 99% of what you need done. Then fill in if you have a hole. More importantly learn to sharpen and maintain your knifes. I have seen to many kitchens with “Name brand knives that you cant cut a tomato with. I sharpened someone’s knives once because I was bored and they got pissed off because now they may cut themselves 😂 Seriously cant make that shit up.

semi hijack: What are you guys using to sharpen your kitchen knives? I use a bench stone to sharpen my packet knives but maintaining the correct angle on a 8-10" long chef knife is a bit harder. We do use the knife steel that came with the set but they do need sharpened more than that eventually.

An e-friend from GA has the wicked edge sharpening system and really likes it. Wicked Edge Precision Knife Sharpeners

A local buddy has the Work Sharp belt sander style but I am not crazy about the rounded profile it puts on the knife edge.

semi hijack: What are you guys using to sharpen your kitchen knives? I use a bench stone to sharpen my packet knives but maintaining the correct angle on a 8-10" long chef knife is a bit harder. We do use the knife steel that came with the set but they do need sharpened more than that eventually.

An e-friend from GA has the wicked edge sharpening system and really likes it. Wicked Edge Precision Knife Sharpeners

A local buddy has the Work Sharp belt sander style but I am not crazy about the rounded profile it puts on the knife edge.
I use a small 3” course stone for deep work and a fine 3” “natural” stone for normal sharpening. Longer knives take practice. I have a work sharp as well but reserve that for tool mainly, machete axe etc. a friend uses a lanski smd swears by it since he cant free hand sharpen his way out of a paper bag.

I use the edge pro apex sharpening system for most stuff. I have some diamond stones that I play around with hand sharpening some stuff.

A steel is not a sharpener. It is used to straighten and/or restore the cutting edge of a knife as it "curls" during use. I run my carbon steel blades through a ceramic "v'" sharpener before each use and dress the stainless knives with a Chef Choice 110 diamond sharpener. If I am bored, I break out an 1000/6000 grit whetsone and do it by hand. But, that is a labor of love. Plenty of youtube videos on technique.

A sharp knife is also a much safer tool to use as the effort to cut/slice/chop is less and that reduces the chance of mis-direction or an errant cut. When butchering, we constantly sharpen during the process or use the replaceable razor blade type (Havalon brand)

ETA: Carbon steel knives can hold a sharper edge better because it is a tougher material; but it requires more care. Stainless is great, but the alloys that make it corrosion resistant are also softer. All knives get washed after use, immediately dried, and put back in the knife block*. Carbon knives get a light coat of veggie oil before being returned to their cardboard sleeve (single drop spread by finger)

Our Henckel Pro S set that we got as a wedding present twenty years ago is still running strong. They replaced a serrated veggie knife that snapped at the heel, no questions asked (it was dropped on the floor I believe).

It might hurt a little upfront, but consider your kitchen knives to be a lifetime purchase - I seem to be in search of my next favorite knife all the time, but that is just sport!

*knife blocks - if used, make sure you have one with horizontal slots - better for the edge when inserting and removing (it doesn't rest on the edge when "home" but it's just better practice)

Last edited:
Japanese water stones. 600, 1000, 3000, 5000, 8000 grit. Gets it done and puts a razor sharp edge on anything worth investing time in. Hone on a leather strop. Steel as needed to keep the rolled edges straight.

Bought a new set of Old Hickory made in the USA high carbon steel. I will see how they stand up to some of the old ones I have collected over the years. Opened them up and out of the package they seem to be very sharp, will know more tomorrow when we start processing our Buckboard Bacon.

We currently have a Zwlling JA Henckel Twin Signature 11 piece set that the wife is very happy with after ~ 2 yrs of use. Looks like it retailed for ~ $270, but I got it for a 30 yr service anniversary gift. The Christmas before that I had wanted to get the wife a nice set of knives and I got her one of the Wustoff sets that was ~ $300-400. Unfortunately, she really didn't like the handles as they seemed kind of small and she just didn't like the feel of them, so I had returned them. My point being that if you can handle them before you buy it can avoid spending a bunch of $ on something that just doesn't fit right. We since added a 4 piece JA Henkel steak knife set which fit in the extra slots in the block. Obviously this isn't a real top-end knife set, but it is a pretty nice German made set of good knives at a reasonable price for home use.

We currently have a Zwlling JA Henckel Twin Signature 11 piece set that the wife is very happy with after ~ 2 yrs of use. Looks like it retailed for ~ $270, but I got it for a 30 yr service anniversary gift. The Christmas before that I had wanted to get the wife a nice set of knives and I got her one of the Wustoff sets that was ~ $300-400. Unfortunately, she really didn't like the handles as they seemed kind of small and she just didn't like the feel of them, so I had returned them. My point being that if you can handle them before you buy it can avoid spending a bunch of $ on something that just doesn't fit right. We since added a 4 piece JA Henkel steak knife set which fit in the extra slots in the block. Obviously this isn't a real top-end knife set, but it is a pretty nice German made set of good knives at a reasonable price for home use.
It's more important to have a set that you're happy with and that you can use with confidence, than to have a set you won't use and just sits on the counter. Nice choice.

My point being that if you can handle them before you buy it can avoid spending a bunch of $ on something that just doesn't fit right.

The above cannot be said enough.

Don't buy the same knives for you and your wife. Odds are you won't like the same thing. I have big hands so if I'm chopping veggies I like a tall heel to keep my fingers from banging into the cutting board.

Buying knives since the late 60's I have bought one set of knives, once. A Costco 8 piece set for the camper, no panic if a knife goes missing. though I have bought hundreds of knives

In current usage is my 8" ish Sabatier Professional high carbon steel circa 1970. This is 80% of my kitchen time. It gets touched up once a month. It stains instantly, rusts in milliseconds and is a pain to care for, it will cut like on tv, you could shave with it, cut grapes horizontally, tomatoes, etc. tomatoes turn it black instantly so I don't use it for that.
Henckels santoku 7" circa 1990 It has a taller heel better for hard veggies but the Sabatier rocks better and is much faster. It has a stress crack... time to test the lifetime warranty. cheap.
A Wiltshire paring knife, :barf::laughing: don't remember where it came from, the sharpener/guard is long gone, but it fits my hand for peeling potatoes.
Henckels 10" serrated bread knife, cheap will soon be replaced with a cheap 12" for cutting big loaves of bread.
A serrated tomato knife from the 50's never been sharpened, stainless, far sharper than any serrated knife has the right to be, we call it the miracle knife.
A Zhang Xiao Quan Refined Kitchen Knife:laughing: AKA Chinese Cleaver, good for very large fruits and veggies. Will skin a big watermelon in 30 seconds. Under 20 bucks,
A Kikuichi custom made Damascus gyuto. A gift from my Chef daughter. A show piece I've had for a couple of years, that I am reluctant to use despite being sharper than my Sabatier. Apparently they have a custom shop with the old guy pumping the bellows and apprentices with sledgehammers pounding out the shapes. Cost? I guess more than all my other knives put together.
Meat cleaver, I use a Vaughn broad hatchet...

I'd like a better paring knife, but these are the ones I use and have used most often over the last ten years. I have cutcos globals shun mercer victorinox dexter and more but they don't get used much.

Cutting boards, I like HDPE, my wife likes bamboo, my daughter likes some reddish brown thing with a thumbhole... but we all use a the maple end grain board for meat. antibacterial, won't kill your blade and heavy enough if you get to whackin.

I’ve been a Global guy for almost 15 years and my knives were the very first thing that after the fire. I like the one-piece design and balance. I’ve previously had other nice knives with wooden handles that always got sloppy with time.Global Knives

Top Back Refresh