What's new

Going Solo - an X3 to race

I’d like to build a full tube chassis replacement. Not skilled enough to just knock one out, not enough free time to muddle through it figuring it out.

Bring your little bird out to run Oklahoma with us for finals instead of TexPlex. Let’s show eachother the difference between fat bastards and little birds. 🤣

Bring that fat bastard to Texplex instead. Once your at Crossbar it's only right down the road in Texas. Probably the closest you will ever be. :laughing:

I've got a points championship to win this year, maybe I'll try Crossbar next year. I dig the trees and rocks, reminds me of back home in New England.

First test runs are done. I will hit it almost daily until we race this Sat.

So far I am pretty happy with the changes. I really wont know until I push the car for an hour. I am not willing to do that in testing so close to race day.

the new suspension has the car riding higher than it was set up. Its a much stiffer ride but turns and brakes better.

I continue to go back and forth in my own head on if I should have gone 72" from the start.

Uh, well check the other thread

So I took my first podium in a car fully build and prepped by me while literally flying the irate flag.

on lap one we heard we were 3 seconds off the fastest car. Our coms only work for a half mile so we have a small window to talk to the wife and kids. While heading out of range a correction came in, 57 seconds off the lead. It was disheartening. We were in 6th at this point. We decided to keep the pace, let attrition do it’s thing and see where we fell. My laps were seconds apart, so I found consistency. The back up camera died.

lap 2 we lost the pumper, then our ability to radio out.

End of Lap 3 of 4 the co dog says we are 4th and refuses to tell me how many seconds back we were. Then the siren died.

begining of lap 4 our intercoms died. The only thing working was the radiator fan. So with his ability to slow me down neutralizes, I laid it to the floor. Our last lap was a full minute faster than laps 1-3 and put us on the podium. 28 seconds behind second place. I had found the winning pace and will not forget it.

the suspension was unreal. Hitting 14” holes at 55mph on one side with out upsetting the car. Taking 10” rocks and I never felt them. I had more traction than I’ve ever felt going those speeds. I ripped gashes in 2 tires you can stick 3 fingers in and I never knew because the tire balls.

the car appears fine after ridiculous abuse. I’m not sore like I used to get. I know what it takes to move up the podium, let’s see how it goes next race.

that’s was fun as hell and by 5pm I was surfing with the family behind “Still Off-Road” on the lake.

83322CF9-7D66-4BF3-BBC0-2C3976283B2D.jpeg

A2AD612D-B280-4F76-A738-105707BAF559.jpeg

ACA25036-5C72-4022-A929-F5BAE43619AE.jpeg

83322CF9-7D66-4BF3-BBC0-2C3976283B2D.jpeg

Congrats on your podium finish.

Did you figure out why your coms and other equipment stopped working ?

As far as tube chassis, CTRaceworks seems to have it figured out.

Congrats on your podium finish.

Did you figure out why your coms and other equipment stopped working ?

As far as tube chassis, CTRaceworks seems to have it figured out.
Thank you.

Water took everything out. 3 other teams I spoke with also lost many of their aftermarket electrical systems.

we hit these 12-16” deep water holes and waves of water dump into the cars. It’s blinding for a bit. You get totally drenched a few miles in and stay soaked all day.

Dang, these things aren't cheap either.

Maybe I need to take a tube of silicone and seal every connection

Second place with the irate4x4 sponsored ‘21 X3.. and I had no front brakes at all from the start line.

First place cut course big and took me by .002 seconds. The organizers did not see it but spectators reported it. So he kept the #1 trophy.

1.2 mile, one lap of muddy hell. 40 racers.

second with no breaks was a crazy ass ride. I ripped both front lines off in my first lap of testing.

AA6B4355-07B5-4A25-AC56-B7AD093CB1B6.jpeg

174CAACF-AA2F-43F3-ABA9-3A8340F4824C.jpeg
37C65658-B163-4141-8ADA-35C77183C6BD.jpeg

I don't know how the hell I missed this last page but those are some awesome posts! Congrats man!

:usa: :beer:

I don't know how the hell I missed this last page but those are some awesome posts! Congrats man!

:usa: :beer:
Thanks. I assumed you were seeing them. I have one scheduled race left this year but I heard rumors of a 100 mile race at AOAA in August that we might take a run at.

Full race prep. I’ve got 2 podiums out of 3 races on my solo built junk. If I can take the 1 spot this next race I have a chance, based on others, to win the series. Some big IF’s but I’ve never had the opportunity so… luck, balls, nerve, the right car, a heavy foot…we will see.

A5176BE4-ABBB-46FD-AB8B-46D45567DFF3.jpeg
018B9DB7-4ABB-42ED-93D6-31F7519BB798.jpeg

This car might be for sale. $55k. Less than 200 miles on it. Time for the next one

Already!? Whats wrong with this one?

What is the plan for the next one?

Yes, already. Nothing, I don’t keep anything long. this is faster and more reliable than any 4400 I’ve owned.

next? I’ll never tell because I don’t know until it happens. What ever it is, it will be. This was gonna be a 2017 120hp but it ended a 2021 205hp, so

Yes, already. Nothing, I don’t keep anything long. this is faster and more reliable than any 4400 I’ve owned.

next? I’ll never tell because I don’t know until it happens. What ever it is, it will be. This was gonna be a 2017 120hp but it ended a 2021 205hp, so

KOH car for the SxS class? :smokin:

KOH car for the SxS class? :smokin:
That’s possible. The $100k to build a proper desert/rocks car has me hedging slightly. I do have a desire to finish that race but I absolutely will not attempt unless I have a car that has potential to win.

Getting ready for the 8am green flag

Top Back Refresh