What's new

Going back to work after being on disability?

not2hye

Knucklehead
Member Number
Loc
Hellifornia
Some of you guys may or may not know about my battle with cancer that consumed the last few years of my life. While doing all of those fun things, I was put on disability by our HR manager and decided to work on my education.

Time is here that I need to start working again.
I would like to return to a familiar place and return to work, and meeting with the owner and HR lady next week sometime.
Its an equipment shop where I did alot of work on a rental fleet and forklifts. I was a shop tech at the time I went out.
I want to go to this meeting with guns loaded and not be surprised by anything.

So what do I need to do or know before this meeting, do I need to bring an updated resume and beg for my old job back?

Someone had mentioned that they are required by law to reemploy me or hold my position, not so sure about that, but this is California.

I was hoping to throw on a nice shirt and go have a friendly chat with the bossman and hopefully nothing more than a handshake would be needed to seal a deal, but you never know.

Last I heard (been years now) they'd only hold the position for a period of time, I think the state disability worker could shed some light.

Gunz loaded is a GOOD idea, as is updating the resume as you are likely to have to reapply...

I “think” you would be on FMLA while on disability. That allows for a certain amount of time every 12 months you can be off and your job is required to be saved. It’s mainly used for taking care of a sick/injured family member from what I gather. I was on PFL and FMLA when my kids were born.
look on EDD’s site for the requirements.
Good luck!

Last I heard (been years now) they'd only hold the position for a period of time, I think the state disability worker could shed some light.

Gunz loaded is a GOOD idea, as is updating the resume as you are likely to have to reapply...

Did a bit of googling and looks like 12 months is the max. But I did have a decent relationship with my employer and I think I was a good employee. Should be able to come back on, whether or not as a tech is up in the air.

Hr lady did ask me if I was asking to come back into sales or a tech when I asked if there was still a place for me.

I “think” you would be on FMLA while on disability. That allows for a certain amount of time every 12 months you can be off and your job is required to be saved. It’s mainly used for taking care of a sick/injured family member from what I gather. I was on PFL and FMLA when my kids were born.
look on EDD’s site for the requirements.
Good luck!

FMLA is more for when you have a family member sick and need to take time off for caring for them. My folks were actually able to take some FMLA time when I had my transplant and was stuck in the hospital for about 2 months.

I don't have anything to help you but I congratulate you! Go get 'em!
Thanks bud!

Hold yer head high.
you have skills they cannot pay half price for!
Best of luck.

Hold yer head high.
you have skills they cannot pay half price for!
Best of luck.

Theres another question, cost of living and min wage have gone up substantially here. CA is required to pay techs double minimum wage, how do I come back and let them know that I need to be paid more as well? :laughing:

Print this! ^^^
Bring it to interview!
Make a solid representation of your value!

Print this! ^^^
Bring it to interview!
Make a solid representation of your value!

Well. Meeting was this morning.

Was told right now is bad time and they can’t be hiring anybody. But I’d be the first one they’d call when they needed to hire someone.

and then right after the meeting I find out they hired a new guy yesterday. Kinda bummed.

So now that I have asked for my job back and got told no, do I apply for employment since my disability is ran out and everyone is getting those fat stacks weekly? :rolleyes:

Well, I think the upside to this is, he can’t be pissed if I go to the competitor or do something else.

Yes, definitely get some unemployment going for yourself. You might as well, we're all going to be paying it back, no matter what anyone tells you.

File asap.
go see the other guy if it works for you, (let old guy know this perhaps?!)

At least try, since you are "out looking for a job" which is rule #1-

Yes, definitely get some unemployment going for yourself. You might as well, we're all going to be paying it back, no matter what anyone tells you.
The hr lady said I was never actually terminated. I’ve been on medical leave. Would that mess anything up? Do I need to have them terminate me?
File asap.
go see the other guy if it works for you, (let old guy know this perhaps?!)
Only problem about the competition. One shop let 91 go, 24 at another and 21 at another and unsure of number from the smaller guys. That’s not a good sign. The market is flooded with people who can Do the same job as me....

The hr lady said I was never actually terminated. I’ve been on medical leave. Would that mess anything up? Do I need to have them terminate me?

Only problem about the competition. One shop let 91 go, 24 at another and 21 at another and unsure of number from the smaller guys. That’s not a good sign. The market is flooded with people who can Do the same job as me....

You kinda picked a shit time to reenter the market. With no one having an idea when corona/riots/murder hornets/2020 will be over and how the economy is going to react once it is. Could come back roaring from all the pent up demand, could be another recession.

May want to have a candid conversation with your boss. Getting "terminated" is probably needed to get unemployement, but you dont want it to affect your rehire status. Given the current state of the economy I would be looking for anything you can get and not hold on to this past job in case the company doesnt bounce back

As far as the guy they just hired, don't take that as a hit. Chances are they extended an offer even before you came in, which can land them in crap if they recinded it.

You kinda picked a shit time to reenter the market. With no one having an idea when corona/riots/murder hornets/2020 will be over and how the economy is going to react once it is. Could come back roaring from all the pent up demand, could be another recession.

May want to have a candid conversation with your boss. Getting "terminated" is probably needed to get unemployement, but you dont want it to affect your rehire status. Given the current state of the economy I would be looking for anything you can get and not hold on to this past job in case the company doesnt bounce back

As far as the guy they just hired, don't take that as a hit. Chances are they extended an offer even before you came in, which can land them in crap if they recinded it.

Wasn’t really my choice when this all happened, but it did. So I’m trying to make the best of it.

Other guy interviewed and got the offer after we made the appointment date.
I found out from one of the managers. Not who I had my meeting with.

Might be time for me to go out on my own and turn my side jobs into a full time gig.

If you are not terminated why can they not give you a start date to return to "your" position? Is there a full time employee of the company currently doing that job. When were they placed in it?

I work for the State which can be totally different but we had a guy out on Med leave that we had to officially keep the position open for him to return to. We were able to fill the position with a temp with his lapsed salary but once he returned the temp was out. The Medical Leave was pulled from a different pot.

HR, if they are not trying to screw you should be able to answer these questions. Just remember that HR is there to look after the company to make sure they do not get sued. They are not there for the individual employee no matter what they might claim.

If you are not terminated why can they not give you a start date to return to "your" position? Is there a full time employee of the company currently doing that job. When were they placed in it?

I work for the State which can be totally different but we had a guy out on Med leave that we had to officially keep the position open for him to return to. We were able to fill the position with a temp with his lapsed salary but once he returned the temp was out. The Medical Leave was pulled from a different pot.

HR, if they are not trying to screw you should be able to answer these questions. Just remember that HR is there to look after the company to make sure they do not get sued. They are not there for the individual employee no matter what they might claim.

I’m technically on medical leave in the company books.
They legally don’t have to hold the position after a year (my understanding) and we’re way past that time limit.

They had to hire 3 guys to take over my position. :laughing:
I don’t know if that says something good about me or something bad about them.

The first thing everyone would ask when I saw my coworkers was “when are you coming back” and “shits a mess around here”

I’m technically on medical leave in the company books.
They legally don’t have to hold the position after a year (my understanding) and we’re way past that time limit.

They had to hire 3 guys to take over my position. :laughing:
I don’t know if that says something good about me or something bad about them.

The first thing everyone would ask when I saw my coworkers was “when are you coming back” and “shits a mess around here”

Yeah, that is a long span to be away.

Hiring three says a lot for your productivity and not a lot about their training program!

It's always nice to see how a company does without you. I was let go in a mass layoff once and visited to say hi and some that were still there said the same thing. Fortunately I had another job.

Try to get the folks that want to back to nudge the mgmt. to rehire you. Word of mouth is the best recommendation.

Yeah, that is a long span to be away.

Hiring three says a lot for your productivity and not a lot about their training program!

It's always nice to see how a company does without you. I was let go in a mass layoff once and visited to say hi and some that were still there said the same thing. Fortunately I had another job.

Try to get the folks that want to back to nudge the mgmt. to rehire you. Word of mouth is the best recommendation.

3.5 years almost.

At this point. I think it’s time I start making myself rich instead of padding someone else’s ledger.

Ive always wanted to be self employed. I know there all kinds of struggles that go with that.
But at the end of the day is the fight worth it for my old job back?

Wasn’t really my choice when this all happened, but it did. So I’m trying to make the best of it.

Other guy interviewed and got the offer after we made the appointment date.
I found out from one of the managers. Not who I had my meeting with.

Might be time for me to go out on my own and turn my side jobs into a full time gig.

Now may be a good time to strike out on your own, especially if you can offer things to meet current demand. I'm also thinking there could be a big boom in american manufacturing.

Only problem is if you need financing there may be some headaches right now. Heard from several people that while they are doing loans for established businesses new stuff is pretty limited, and it hasnt been great for a while now anyway

Now may be a good time to strike out on your own, especially if you can offer things to meet current demand. I'm also thinking there could be a big boom in american manufacturing.

Only problem is if you need financing there may be some headaches right now. Heard from several people that while they are doing loans for established businesses new stuff is pretty limited, and it hasnt been great for a while now anyway

This week we're building fences, next week, hopefully something more profitable. :laughing:
All of my trucks are paid for, I have a toolbox full of shiny shit, and a bunch of welding equipment. I dont think I would have to finance much of anything. I need a plasma cutter, an engine driven welder, and a bigger spot to work (that is the most expensive part). Most of what I dont have, I can pay cash for.
I didnt sleep much last night thinking about my first step into going out on my own.

Top Back Refresh