What's new

GMT 800 A/C compressor clutch chatter

4Eyedturd

Member Number
Loc
Waco, TX
Truck has developed a fancy noise anything over an idle and the ac compressor chatters. Grabbed cheap gauges and low side was 55psi and I couldn’t get the high side fitting to give me anything. I’m gonna exchange the gauges. Low side reading didn’t change when I rev’d the engine. It cools great at idle, I’m leaning towards a weak clutch unless the high side is spiking. Is it possible to change the clutch without fucking with refrigerant?

If the clutch is your chatter source it should and you can hear it in the cab it be pretty obvious where the noise is coming from once you open the hood.

Oh it’s obvious from inside the cab and definitely from the compressor. I’ve searched but can’t find anyone having a similar situation.

Raises hand I do I do.... it's so bad that it throws the belt under acceleration.
I haven't confirmed it yet but there was a service bulletin on some compressors for this issue, and I think that is my problem.

Guessing that it could also be a overcharge or mis adjusted clutch

I’m a freakin idiot. Pulled the plastic “skid plate” and found the tensioner bouncing around, when you blipped the gas it would hit its travel stop. Warrantied it and threw a new belt on but it still dances around, not sure if this amount is normal.

Attachments

• IMG_7949.MOV
    19 MB
Mine did the same, changed tensioner with the same results.
I'm almost positive that you're issue isn't fixed.

Underhood Rattle Noise Heard on Acceleration (Check A/C System Performance andCompressor Operation) #03-01-38-019A - (Sep 3, 2004) Underhood Rattle Noise Heard On Acceleration (Check A/C System Performance and Compressor Operation) 2003-2004 Cadillac CTS 2002-2004 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT 2003-2004 Cadillac Escalade ESV 2002-2004 Chevrolet Avalanche, Express, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe 2002-2004 GMC Denali, Denali XL, Savana, Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL 2002-2004 Commercial Upfitter Chassis Vehicles 2003-2004 HUMMER H2 with Air Conditioning (A/C) This bulletin is being revised to update the service procedure and parts information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 03-01-38-019 (Section 01 -- HVAC). Condition Some customers may comment about an underhood rattle noise heard on acceleration or a sudden loss of A/C system performance. Cause Service Information

This condition may be caused by liquid slugging of the A/C compressor. This condition may cause an internal failure in the A/C compressor. The serpentine belt tensioner and serpentine belt may also be damaged. Correction Technicians are to check the A/C system performance and compressor operation using the following repair procedure: 1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7. 8. Open the hood and inspect the A/C compressor for damage and to see if the compressor is seized. Verify that the serpentine belt is not damaged or missing. If the A/C compressor is seized, proceed to step 5. Perform the A/C System Performance test. Refer to the Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) section of SI. Correct any performance concerns or refrigerant leaks that are found. Inspect the vehicle for other possible sources of A/C compressor noise or performance concerns. Refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 01-0138-013 for more information. After all other possible sources of A/C compressor noise or performance concerns have been eliminated, only then should the A/C compressor be replaced. Remove the A/C compressor. Refer to the A/C Compressor Replacement procedure in the HVAC section of SI. Inspect the transmission cooler lines for damage due to contact from the serpentine belt. Replace the transmission cooler lines if necessary. Install an inline A/C system filter. Refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 01-01-38-006C for more information about A/C system flushing and filter installation procedures. An A/C system flush is not to be done unless prior authorization is given by the GM Area Service Manager (in Canada, the District Service Manager). Install an A/C Suction Screen. Refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 01-01-39-003A for more information about A/C suction screen repair recommendations and procedures.

9. 10. 11. 12. 13. Install a new A/C compressor. Refer to the Compressor Replacement procedure in the HVAC section of SI. Install a new orifice tube for the front A/C system. Refer to the Expansion (Orifice) Tube Replacement procedure in SI. If the vehicle is a 2003 model year Chevrolet Express or GMC Savana van, the vehicle may require a new accumulator. Refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 03-01-38-016 for more information. This bulletin refers to an updated design accumulator that may improve the performance of the A/C system. Install a new serpentine belt tensioner and serpentine belt if they have been damaged due to A/C system slugging or an A/C compressor seizure. The serpentine belt tensioner may have broken stop tabs and/or a missing front cap. Verify proper operation of the A/C system. Service Information Parts Information Refer to the GMSPO parts catalog for the latest service replacement compressor part numbers. Part Number 89016656 (*A/C Delco Part# 15-10413) Description Universal In-Line A/C Filter Parts are currently available from GMSPO. Qty 1 *This filter may also be purchased through your local A/C Delco distributor. Warranty Information For vehicles repaired under warranty, use: Labor Operation Description D4440 Compressor Assembly - Replace Labor Time Use published labor operation time

FML. I’ll run it till it shits the bed I guess. What’s the worst that’ll happen, compressor explodes and takes out the main drive belt and radiator leaving me stranded miles from home. Or compressor locks up, and burns the belt off then I sweat my ass off till I replace it. I’ve had pretty good luck with this truck so I might be due for some bad.

FML. I’ll run it till it shits the bed I guess. What’s the worst that’ll happen, compressor explodes and takes out the main drive belt and radiator leaving me stranded miles from home. Or compressor locks up, and burns the belt off then I sweat my ass off till I replace it. I’ve had pretty good luck with this truck so I might be due for some bad.
Mine just continously throws the ac belt.

Ok, I dicked with mine. The clutch bearing was rough so I probably wasted $53... I also changed clutch adjustment shim from a .040 to a .025, shudder has stopped... for now anyways :rasta:.

Oh, and it was a brilliant idea for gm to install those skid plates since mine are beat to shit and difficult to reinstall.

Top Back Refresh