What's new

GMC7000 Crew Cab Dt466

skzuk

Member Member
Member Number
Loc
Saskatoon
So..

I got the steel in for the new flat deck and started cutting that out. New one will be 13x8. Able to keep it flat (not wheel arches needed) but quite low. Might have to put steel plates over the tires instead of wood. 3 inch taller inner structure and 2x5 outer rails. 2x4 for the rear bumper and hitch. Also 2x4 for the headache rack, I think.

Dash is going to get wrapped in upholstery vinyl. Looked into wrapping it with saddle tan upholstery leather to match the seats but the ronas got me thinking twice about leather dash in an ugly old 3 ton.

Sold this deck thats pictured. Got nice king ranch seats. Installed headliner. SEM coated door panels and trim.
GRnKvyq.jpg

In my opinion you cant do better then the DT-466 in a med size truck ,does yours have a 2 speed axle ?

In my opinion you cant do better then the DT-466 in a med size truck ,does yours have a 2 speed axle ?

How dare you not have all the details from my PBB thread committed to memory. :confused:

I bought the GMC7000 running and driving in 2015.
I bought a 91 IH 4700 in Alberta for a frame donor - was originally a dt360 truck with 7 speed direct and low gears, I think 5.60..
It had a ~88 Dt466 swapped in. The 88 trucks used a belt drive power steering pump and 91 used gear drive. The owned never got that figured out before I bought the truck.
I did the frame swap but the GMC7000 nose was so short, the big 4 rib pulley on the front of the DT466 was too long. I bought a 95 dt466 with a P pump and serpentine accessory belt drive. Also found a 97 4700 with a blown dt466e and air ride. So I put the compressor from 97 on the 95 engine and put it in the 91 truck along with the air ride rear. Had room for mechanical fan this way. A tag on the rear said 3.9 but actually I think the rear is around 4.33 (from memory, this is all in my other thread). Now that I have the 4.3 rear, the OD trans (eso66-7) would actually be too high in OD which is 0.74. So I think I will price out higher rear gears and keep the trans direct.

I have lots of plans, long to-do list on this and other projects. The immediate plan is build this deck so I can haul my gooseneck with my big truck instead of continuing to punish my 99 k2500 with an 8500lb tare tandem dual gooseneck. Also need to pull apart my front axle and see if I can swap in the hub pilot knuckles at the kingpin or if its gotta be the whole axle. Interior, stereo, AC, etc etc.

Glad to see this over here and excited for progress.

In, thanks :smokin:

Some progress

The outer rails are 2x5 but I had some 2x8 around and like to make things difficult so I did this for the rear.
WdiQi0T.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	WdiQi0T.jpg Views:	0 Size:	161.8 KB ID:	28022

First I made the taper, then bent in the 30-60 degree tapers in the back of the deck. Its full length to 80 inches width which is about the track width of a supersduty. So the outside 8 inches on each side tapers. 30-60 in the rear and 45 45 in the front of the deck. The 2x4x.250 hitch is at 30-60 as well.
U6JRum0

The angles kind of misshapen because I hadn't welded up the taper yet. I welded in a nut on the backside in a couple different spots to get it to push out and look somewhat normal.
fqiOhtA.jpg

TZ7MXoJ.jpg

With the 6" drop hitch in there, the hitch height is the same as my 3/4 ton with a flat receiver (where there base of the ball is level with the base of the 2" hitch).
oy9Quc8

VfbGjZi.jpg

oy9Quc8.jpg

I've got the template for the wheel arch. Drawn up. The deck is going to be flat (no wheel tubs sticking up) and low as possible. The wheel arches will be 3.5" tall into the 5" outer rail to clear for the air suspension dumped. I'll do some extra structure there over the wheels and use plate instead of wood over the tires.

After the wheel arches I'll get it set down on the frame and probably do the receiver for the slide in gooseneck ball.

Last edited:
What is the inner structure made with? 2X3? How are you planning on mounting it to the frame?

Yeah 2x3 inner 2x5 outer so that I can sink decking into the outer rails. I'll do plates down the outside of frame and bolted. The bumper hitch will be tied in to the rear frame with a couple good members.

I cut the wheel arches same on either side. Deck is square and square to frame. Wheelbase is 1.25" longer on the driver's side. Wtf.:confused:

Thanks. I loosened the ubolts and got what movement I could there and then put a .200 spacer on the link which got it sitting better in the arches.

Top Back Refresh