What's new

Glowing headers on my kid's 225 Oddfire

Kurtuleas

CAL4
Member Number
Loc
Disco Bay, CA
So my 17 year old boy bought himself a 53 Willys Flatfender with a 225 offdfire that he has now had for about a year. He has done all the work on it himself, and I only step in when he gets stuck. But I can not figure out this issue for him for the life of me.

He decided that he needed new valve springs since it seemed his valves were floating a little and the springs were worn out.

Putting in the springs, one of the exhaust valves dropped down, so he ended up taking the heads off on both sides to put all the springs on.

He put it all back together, fired it right up, and within less than a minute, the header on the odd side of the engine, (driver's side) started glowing red. On all three pipes. The passenger side did not even get warm.

He figured maybe it was running really lean on one side from a vacuum leak on the intake, so he took off the intake manifold and re-did everything to seal it up as well as he could. The header STILL glowed red. It gets hot QUICKLY, so I do not think its a coolant issue... more like he is getting after burn. ??? I dunno. It runs/sounds good.

We doubled checked the firing order and plugs like 10 times.

He checked the compression and all three cylinders on that side are around 140 ish

He didnt have to pull the distributer, so the timing was not changed at all.

We did advance the timing some, but it still heated up quick. (although IMO not as quickly as before)

Pulled off the muffler so see if that was clogged somehow, (does not seem to be) but the Jeep started backfiring when we tried to crank it over...maybe it didn't have enough back pressure???

Pulled the valve cover and all the valves seem to be moving up and down...

Anyone have any ideas? We are leaving Friday for a wheeling trip, so he needs to get this thing going ASAP.

Valves adjustable? Adjusted ever so slight too tight, either intake valve hang slightly open allowing more fuel & air to enter or exhaust valve allowing unburned fuel to escape, but seal off in the power stroke?

Did he do something stupid like put a rag down the exhast pipe or in the exh manifolds and forget to take it out?

If its
not fueled wrong
Timmings correct
And not plugged up id say you have a vac leak at the intake.

Fouled plug(s) on that side, causing incomplete burn, OR messed up the plug wire end termination when pulling plugs so not getting full voltage to the plug.

Nope. The valves are not adjustable.
The valves are adjustable. Hydraulic lifters? There is still a setting for the rocker and it could be too tight on that side if he just tighted the nuts all the way down. You could have valves hanging open after the lifters pump up.

Top Back Refresh