What's new

Glorious mistakes

Rttoys

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
Waller, TX
What are your big “mistakes” that turned out the noms? It can even be a “I did this for no reason“ but it was awesome.

One of my best “mistakes” was using the flat iron to cook fajitas. I had the meat on one side and veggies on the other. I usually pull the meat, take it in and cut it up, but my buddy was there and said, “hell let‘s just cut it on the flat iron”, so I did. Once it was all cut, I swooshed it all around it’s juices then and mixed the veggies with it. Ho Lee fook, it was the noms. :smokin: I do it every time now. All the juices mix together. There‘s flavor everywhere.

Wife makes a dish that she dreamed up 20 years ago when we were broke dick poor and not much in the cupboards. it's just hamburger with salt, pepper, garlic powder, chopped onion, cooked potatoes cut up in smallish cubes with a little V8 juice. simple and cheap

She also makes "smothered burritos" which is just hamburger with taco seasoning, refried beans mixed in, rolled up in a tortilla with some sour cream and covered in melted Velveeta and Rotel. cheap and quick to make

Honestly, air fryer hush puppies. Be ready for perfectly cooked hush puppies not soaked in grease.

I could fill more on stuff to not do again. :lmao:

Years ago we were setting out on a day fishing trip in Oregon my uncle was going to make bisquits and sausage gravy and eggs for breakfast, but there were only 2 eggs and 4 of us so he broke the eggs into the gravy and cooked them till the gravy was the consistency of scrambled eggs. Turned out to really good, I still make them today, of course I cheat and use gravy mix, canned bisquits and more eggs :flipoff2:

A few years ago I made a batch of chili with ground chicken, artichoke hearts, northern white beans, and hominy. The part I don't remember is which liquids and seasonings I used, because I just emptied the fridge and didn't write anything down. It turned out awesome and was one of the few meals that both kids wiped the bowls clean. I tried recreating it but haven't come close to the original.

Ror. Yep. That’s what happens.

”that was awesome”………..what did I do……..:homer:

Wife makes a dish that she dreamed up 20 years ago when we were broke dick poor and not much in the cupboards. it's just hamburger with salt, pepper, garlic powder, chopped onion, cooked potatoes cut up in smallish cubes with a little V8 juice. simple and cheap

She also makes "smothered burritos" which is just hamburger with taco seasoning, refried beans mixed in, rolled up in a tortilla with some sour cream and covered in melted Velveeta and Rotel. cheap and quick to make
Take that burger mix minus the potatoes and V8 and mix it with a box or two of kraft mac and cheese. It's awesome on a hangover sunday

Brought some Cod home to make breaded fish but I didn't have enough bread crumbs. I did have a bag of salt/pepper potato chips though.

Smashed those up and mixed them with the little bit of bread crumbs and wow that was good. Been making it that way ever since.

Using buttermilk and not regular milk when making Kraft mac and cheese.

That was 35 or so years ago so.

An acquired taste ¿?

don't know where I got it from, but any time I make lasagna, I also have corn cut off the cob. (sometimes on top of the lasagna, sometimes on the side)
As far back as I can remember, I've always had corn with lasagna.

Years ago at hunting camp I wanted a BLT but there wasn't any bread, there were waffles though. Still do it now even if there is bread.

Years ago at hunting camp I wanted a BLT but there wasn't any bread, there were waffles though. Still do it now even if there is bread.
Place we stay at in Deming NM used to have a decent continental breakfast, I used to use the waffles to make bacon and eggs sandwiches. Since covid they shut it down

Had the most awesome ribs ever………and I don’t know how I did it. :homer:

thawed ribs this morning. Did this, did that, invite the boy over, but they can’t make it. , no biggie, need to start a fire. Shit forgot. oh crap, need to start a fire. Crap need to season meat. Start fire. Toss seasoning on, toss them on the pit add some “slop”, I have plenty of hours to make this happen, if it don’t happen I’ll toss a sausage on and eat the ribs (and chicken) tomorrow.

ring ring (or text) hey we are coming over. :eek: Fuck. Wrap the ribs, fire up the gas grill and run with it. “Cook” everything and ho Lee fook the shit was awesome. :laughing: Smoke flavor, tender, peal off the bone. What did I do???

thawed ribs this morning. Did this, did that, invite the boy over, but they can’t make it. , no biggie, need to start a fire. Shit forgot. oh crap, need to start a fire. Crap need to season meat. Start fire. Toss seasoning on, toss them on the pit add some “slop”, I have plenty of hours to make this happen, if it don’t happen I’ll toss a sausage on and eat the ribs (and chicken) tomorrow.

ring ring (or text) hey we are coming over. :eek: Fuck. Wrap the ribs, fire up the gas grill and run with it. “Cook” everything and ho Lee fook the shit was awesome. :laughing: Smoke flavor, tender, peal off the bone. What did I do???

What were you cooking on? Pellet smoker?

One of hose cheap small smokers. Kind of a good stand by, but hard to control heat due to being small. It fills the void, where I don’t have to break out the big bastard on the trailer. :homer: I don’t think I have a pic of it. 12” cylinder by 12” firebox, attached to a 12”by 30”? smoke box

my gas grill is a brand new Napoleon. It replaced my 20 year old Captain Cook.

69DC245B-D5BD-4142-8543-B50C9D97B10F.png

9E767E24-231F-40FF-967A-B7D052538045.jpeg

Last edited:

Sounds real close to the 3-2-1 method for ribs. After 140 degrees meat is done taking on smoke flavor. wrapping in foil braises it while finishing. Yep come out awesome every time.

Might sound strange but it was damn good. I was digging through the freezer and came up with a pretty big piece of pot roast already cooked. I also had on hand 5 or 6 pork chops that either needed to be eaten or frozen. About this time I spot the meat grinder I needed to put away and an idea formed.

I thawed the beef and cubed it up, same with the chops. I ran it all through the grinder twice on a medium grind, second pass got sone chopped celery that needed to be used up too. I ended up mixing it all together in a bowl with just enough mayo and mustard to make it stick together. I put it into a 1/2 gallon pickle jar and into the fridge it went, I figured a weeks worth of sammiches / crackers etc. Well I was wrong, we went through it all in a couple of days. It was a damn fine tasting use it or lose it accidental meal.

Sounds real close to the 3-2-1 method for ribs. After 140 degrees meat is done taking on smoke flavor. wrapping in foil braises it while finishing. Yep come out awesome every time.
that’s kind of what it sounds like. I started using pink butcher paper instead of foil though. The butcher paper lets some fluids out, so it’s not a total boil or roast. The butcher paper also continues to char the ends too. :smokin:

Might sound strange but it was damn good. I was digging through the freezer and came up with a pretty big piece of pot roast already cooked. I also had on hand 5 or 6 pork chops that either needed to be eaten or frozen. About this time I spot the meat grinder I needed to put away and an idea formed.

I thawed the beef and cubed it up, same with the chops. I ran it all through the grinder twice on a medium grind, second pass got sone chopped celery that needed to be used up too. I ended up mixing it all together in a bowl with just enough mayo and mustard to make it stick together. I put it into a 1/2 gallon pickle jar and into the fridge it went, I figured a weeks worth of sammiches / crackers etc. Well I was wrong, we went through it all in a couple of days. It was a damn fine tasting use it or lose it accidental meal.
It’s like a chop beef sandwich in a jar. :laughing:

Stacked some nice Potato chips on a ham sandwich with pickles in grade school.

Still loving this sandwich to this day.

The people of Colombia have a garnish for their hot dogs of crushed potato chips and /or Dorito chips.

We do that as well.

The people of Colombia have a garnish for their hot dogs of crushed potato chips and /or Dorito chips.

We do that as well.
When I was a kid we would always lay down a bunch of bbq chips on a grilled cheese sandwich, I'm gonna have to do that again now that I am thinking about it.

We do that as well.
I do that on a ham or turkey sub with Doritos (or similar) chips.

Aaron Z

Newest glorious mistake.

It’s not 100* anymore, so we decided to make chili. Usually we do 3 different meats consisting of deer stew meat, ground beef and a deer/pork sausage. Looking through the freezer, we had some left over pulled pork from a bbq we froze a while back, so we substituted that for the sausage. Ho Lee fook smoked pulled pork taste that also added major hardiness to the chili. It was the noms. :smokin: Looks like next time we will try the smoked chicken we have in the freezer and compare.

Top Back Refresh