What's new

Glass tig cup

WaterH

Member Number
Loc
North Florida
I just got a new fangled TIG cup made of Pyrex glass. It's pretty cool. Did some welding and I actually looked through it because of the cramped quarters. Got to wondering how that glass can take the heat. Pyrex is good, but it must be rediculas hot there. I figure the constant supply of argon must keep it cool. Then I thought, what if I run out of argon in the middle of a weld. I've done this before and the tungsten gets burnt some. With the glass, I wonder if it will explode. Anybody have experince with the glass cups?

I bought a few back when they first came out, or when I first heard of them anyway. It's been close to 10 years, but I do distinctly remember that you can't walk the cup and too much heat will make them crack in a million places. They seemed to get dirty/stained after a bit too.

I use ck gassavers with the Pyrex cups for a while. They are great and I haven't broken one yet. I've broken numerous alumina ones in the same time frame

I got some Pyrex cups from Edge Welding. So nice to be able to see more. I accidentally walked the cup once while making DOM control arms for my Subaru. Lifted the torch and super fine strings of molten glass stretched then cooled in placed. Pretty interesting to see.

Haven't cracked mine, but it does burn up if you run out of gas. Or, in my case, the wind blows the gas away. They're impossible to clean because the char is imbedded in the glass.

I broke one yesterday. It just fell off the o-ring. I put another on alittle differnt way and it's tight. I actually did some welding where I looked through the glass. Cool!

i can see using them when needed but for the most part they are a novelty item instagram welders use, because 'its cool'. i own a set, but have never used them.

also, i do have a slanted opinion as my weld and fab hobby turned into my full time gig. if i used and bought all the special color tungsten's, weld fingers, dips, sprays, gases etc... i would never make money. i spent allot of money on stupid shit, and i normally at least try before doubting, like using a shorty gas lens (all i ever use now) and a flex head or flex loc (i'm still on the fence about which i should run). i dont use a peddle anyt more buying 4 ck slide controls for all the machines was expensive but well spent. now i'm just rambling... post pics of why you need a pyrex cup please

i can see using them when needed but for the most part they are a novelty item instagram welders use, because 'its cool'. i own a set, but have never used them.

also, i do have a slanted opinion as my weld and fab hobby turned into my full time gig. if i used and bought all the special color tungsten's, weld fingers, dips, sprays, gases etc... i would never make money. i spent allot of money on stupid shit, and i normally at least try before doubting, like using a shorty gas lens (all i ever use now) and a flex head or flex loc (i'm still on the fence about which i should run). i dont use a peddle anyt more buying 4 ck slide controls for all the machines was expensive but well spent. now i'm just rambling... post pics of why you need a pyrex cup please

I don't need one, I just bought a set to try. The reason I got to look through the glass was because I was welding in a wheel well of a truck and couldn't get my helmet where it needed to be to see around a normal cup. I probably could have gotten it welded with a normal cup if it was tapered at the end. Because I bought a new torch and it's bigger than my old one, the glass cups is all I have. I need to buy some ceramic ones incase I break these. (I only had four)

The torch I bought has the flex head, but I haven't flexed it yet. Not sure where I would use it.

You said one thing that amused me. You like the slide control. I learned with the slide control. Later I tried the foot pedal and I find its a pain to position sometimes. I don't even see a need for a pedal. It's just one more thing to drag around and one more cable to get tangled. But when I tell other welders this, I get scorned. They say they can't weld with the slide. I am so happy that I learned with one. Right now I have a "thumb wheel" because my slide broke and I couldn't find another. The thumb wheel is not as good as a slide, but still better than a pedal.

It would appear you and me are the only welders that like a slide control.

i've converted a few people to the slide controls.

the guy who taught me to tig aluminum converted me on a job we were upside down and using mirrors to get into places on a fishing boat. if we ran a peddle on that job it would have taken allot longer. so i had to get them for all my torches. i've got both the handle mounted and the velcro on types and found i like the velcro was better because i can move its position quicker.

i think hand controls are a must for anything other than bench welding. slide is what i prefer, i've also only ever used a roll and a slide. theres so many other types.

flex heads are a must for me, but you always need a back up on hand, because you never know when they will go out. so that i dont have to carry a back up, im trying a flex loc on my mobile machine, dynasty 210. with the flex loc and the built in slide handle it puts the arc closer to my hand than i'd like, but great for detail work.

the other machine i use most is a syncro 250, it has a flex head and the velcro on slide. the flex head is longer and i can move the slide back to really push some heat.

The glass cups with the wire mesh are really nice for gas stability and flow, but as other have mentioned, if you touch the glass to a hot weld you end up with melted glass.

I still have a coupe in my TIG box, but they are rarely used.

Speaking of hand controls, the tig button is one of the things that has been on my list of things to buy with my first pay check for a while now...

http://www.6061.com/tigbutton.htm

I think that would be hard to control. The slide or thumb wheel is nice because you start the arc, give it lots of heat to get a puddle and than back it off alittle to weld. Once you get to welding, you hardly move it. I think the button would be hard to hold steady.

I learned to Tig with the thumb slide wheel thing (looks like a tiny excavator track) Velcro'd to the torch. I'm more comfortable with that than the pedal, I have both, but the pedal is only usable at a bench. Most of my Tig work is in a goofy position.

I think that would be hard to control. The slide or thumb wheel is nice because you start the arc, give it lots of heat to get a puddle and than back it off alittle to weld. Once you get to welding, you hardly move it. I think the button would be hard to hold steady.

I learned to Tig with the thumb slide wheel thing (looks like a tiny excavator track) Velcro'd to the torch. I'm more comfortable with that than the pedal, I have both, but the pedal is only usable at a bench. Most of my Tig work is in a goofy position.

Have a linkage to an adjustable thumb slider like yall are suggesting? I might want to check one out and practice with one.

Hadn't thought about the slider. I have a lift start ESAB and it's been wonderful not having to deal with a foot pedal. Always in awkward positions. There are occasions where I would like some control over the heat without having to stop, turn it up or down a little at the machine then start again.

Went and looked, mine is CK as well. Track travel is about 3/4" total.

When i said 1 1/2" , I was going by memory of 15 years ago. The one I used back then was probably 3/4" also. My thumb wheel requires two "slides" with my thumb to go from 0 to full power. (Or vice-versa) That's a pain when you want to shut it off quick.

i just went out and measured mine, same as the one i linked above. slide length is 1-1/8"

CK is a great company based out of WA. they say they dont sell to end users, and i get all my stuff from my lws, but i'm told that if you call them they will hook you up.

Last edited:
I have a couple #12Furick cups that have a titanium ring around the end of it. I've banged it around pretty good and so far haven't broken one. If/when I do destroy them, I'll replace them with the ceramic version, just because they're cheaper. I like being able to run a longer stickout with the bigger cup.

Top Back Refresh