What's new

Getting gravel out of a pickup bed idea

KarlVP

Not Sure
Member Number
Loc
Crusty's Brewing, Wa
So I'm in the process of sprucing up the property in the next few weeks.

My friend is loaning me a tractor and I want to spread some gravel around. I was thinking of taking a 3/4 inch sheet of plywood I have and tying some rope to it in the bed of the truck. Have the materials place load the gravel, and then tug it out slowly with the tractor attached to the rope that is attached to the plywood.

Anyone done something similar?

We built a box out of scrap wood, loaded it with gravel, chained it to a tree and drove out from under it. Single use only, but worked fine for that single time.

So I'm in the process of sprucing up the property in the next few weeks.

My friend is loaning me a tractor and I want to spread some gravel around. I was thinking of taking a 3/4 inch sheet of plywood I have and tying some rope to it in the bed of the truck. Have the materials place load the gravel, and then tug it out slowly with the tractor attached to the rope that is attached to the plywood.

Anyone done something similar?

Probably won't work. I did the same kinda thing using an old heavy canvass tarp. Backed up to a tree and drove forward. It ended up like the guy who can whip a table cloth out from under a table full of dishes, tarp came out and not one stone came out with it.:mad3::laughing:

Old heavy conveyor belt or cut in half tractor tire should work for removing a good bit of it. Put it up front against forward bedside before loading with chains running out the back, not laying flat.

Plywood and STRONG rope or chain attached to bolted plates will do it. Although I'd probably load more gravel on than you're talking so you may get away with rope. :laughing:

2 truck loads of gravel should be pretty darn quick to just shovel out. Probably faster then dreaming up and building some contraption. But the large tractor tire is a good one. Throw it flat in the front of the bed with a strap around it and then tie it off to a tree. After you lull away from it take the tree strap and hook it back to your truck to drag it out of the gravel pile.......

Or operate the shovel shov20 minutes throwing it right where you want

Do you have a side dumper you could bring over?

Just flag down one of them friendly scarcella drivers that are all over the place around you. I'm sure they'd be happy to help you out

No. I do have vehicles with winches on the property.

Back in the day we would dump gravel down wells by backing up a single axle military trailer to the rig hooked the winch to the tongue blocked the tires and lifted it to dump it.

I was jokingly saying pick up the front of the truck with the winch.

Do you have sons? My brother and I started filling that trailer with shovels when we where 10 and 13.

Do you have sons? My brother and I started filling that trailer with shovels when we where 10 and 13.

I have two girls. The older one would spend more time procrastinating about unloading it and the younger one would just cry the whole time until I did it myself.

Unless of course there were some sort of reward at the end of the task. They unloaded 2 yards of mulch at the end of the summer but we went rafting on the river after they completed the task.

4 to 6 yards.

1 ton dually. I did the math. Getting it delivered vs getting it myself I will be money ahead.

If you figure you need that much just get 10cy delivered. You always end up needing more than you thought.

Yard of gravel weighs 2400 to 2900 pounds. Typical truck can hold 2 yards max.
I used my car trailer, and just built some temporary sides using the stake pockets and some scrap plywood cut to two foot by eight foot. Then backed trailer where I wanted and used shovels for the final spread. I carried three yards at a time on the trailer, and that pretty well maxed out my 10k rating.

If you figure you need that much just get 10cy delivered. You always end up needing more than you thought.

added angle that might come into play, a lot of roads around here are weight restricted until the ground's fully thawed
meaning, you might not be getting any gravel delivered for a few weeks

[486 said:
;n336748]

added angle that might come into play, a lot of roads around here are weight restricted until the ground's fully thawed
meaning, you might not be getting any gravel delivered for a few weeks

That's weird, but not really an issue here in Wet California:flipoff2:

2 truck loads of gravel should be pretty darn quick to just shovel out. Probably faster then dreaming up and building some contraption. But the large tractor tire is a good one. Throw it flat in the front of the bed with a strap around it and then tie it off to a tree. After you lull away from it take the tree strap and hook it back to your truck to drag it out of the gravel pile.......

Or operate the shovel shov20 minutes throwing it right where you want

No shit. I’ve shoveled a lot of gravel out of the bed of my truck and never once said, “Boy I’m so fucking lazy I should think of an easier way.” :flipoff2:

Use one of those heavy duty construction bags. There's one on Amazon for $30. It's 4x8 with sides and holds 3 cuyd.

Bagster.

This is what I was going suggest. Then you can move it around to where you need it without leaving a mess everywhere.

Top Back Refresh