What's new

GET YOUR CDL NOW! - What You Need to Know About New Entry-Level Driver Training Rules for Truckers

PAToyota

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
South Central Pennsylvania, USA
Beginning February 7, 2022, all entry-level operators of commercial motor vehicles (CMVs) in both interstate and intrastate commerce who are applying for a commercial driver’s license (CDL) must first satisfactorily complete minimum training requirements before taking their state-administered CDL examination.

The training must be given by a “training provider” registered with FMCSA’s newly-established Training Provider Registry (TPR). Training providers can be either “for-hire” (commercial) or “not-for-hire,” such as government or non-profit entities, including training schools, educational institutions, state/local governments, labor programs, motor carriers, owner-operators and individuals.

TLDR: If you want your CDL, you're going to need to take classes after February 2022. If you have a learner's permit before that date, you are grandfathered but will have to take a class if you don't pass the exams in the allotted time / attempts.

More information here: http://www.prepassalliance.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/PP_WhitePaper_DriverTraining_20200204.pdf

If you look at the link, this goes back to 1991:
The Motor Carrier Act of 1991 required the U.S. Department of Transportation (USDOT) to begin a rulemaking to require training by all entry-level CMV drivers.

In typical governmental fashion, it took them thirty years to actually push it out... Then it got delayed a year due to COVID...

There is a truck and trailer repair shop on the same campus where I work. Seeing the "drivers" that come in and out of there makes you think they're handing out CDLs in Cracker Jack boxes. On a fairly regular basis they've hit the fences, gates, buildings, doors, other vehicles, dumpsters, and just about everything else that doesn't get out of the way - not to mention the half hour and eleventy-odd attempts they make to back, turn, or otherwise maneuver.

Honestly, I'm not sure how the changes to require "training" is going to change this if the same exam process will pass the same people. It's basically just going to increase the training costs because now they are "accredited" and have to certify all of that.

It basically boils down to "if you're thinking about getting your CDL, get your learner's permit now and pass the behind the wheel exams before the LP expires so you don't have to deal with a bunch of new crap..."

How will this affect montrose818 business? Art are you accredited?

From what I read you dont need to be accredited, just provide ELDT which basically can be done via online.

But again, Ive been hearing about this for two years, and every year it gets postponed. (even before covid). Iirc this started in 2016.

p.s. i hate paperwork, which is why i havent done anything with accreditation :homer:

Are you looking to do training, montrose818 ? Or just hiring drivers?

A couple bits from the above linked whitepaper:
Beginning February 7, 2022, all entry-level operators of commercial motor vehicles (CMVs) in both interstate and intrastate commerce who are applying for a commercial driver’s license (CDL) must first satisfactorily complete minimum training requirements before taking their state-administered CDL examination.
The minimum training requirements consist of 31 mandatory theory (knowledge) topics in five general areas and behind-the-wheel (BTW) sessions on an off-road driving range and on the road.
Truck driving simulators may be used for theory courses but not as a substitute for BTW sessions.
The training must be given by a “training provider” registered with FMCSA’s newly-established Training Provider Registry (TPR). Training providers can be either “for-hire” (commercial) or “not-for-hire,” such as government or non-profit entities, including training schools, educational institutions, state/local governments, labor programs, motor carriers, owner-operators and individuals.
Third-party accreditation of a training provider is not required. Instead, each must self-certify that it meets the FMCSA curriculum requirements and that the instructors it uses are qualified under FMCSA and any state instructor criteria. Instructors themselves need not register with the TPR. FMCSA may audit training providers, but because of self-certification, FMCSA does not endorse any registered training provider and recommends students do their due diligence before enrollment.
So if you're providing training, you must be registered with FMCSA but you self-certify.

As I had said, I really don't see how this is going to accomplish much if the testing still passes the same sort of people. Studying on your own vs. taking a "registered" class isn't going to change much in the end results.

As I previously mentioned, this goes back thirty years and keeps getting pushed back. However, talking with a number of people it really looks like this time it's going through.

Are you looking to do training, montrose818 ? Or just hiring drivers?

A couple bits from the above linked whitepaper:

So if you're providing training, you must be registered with FMCSA but you self-certify.

As I had said, I really don't see how this is going to accomplish much if the testing still passes the same sort of people. Studying on your own vs. taking a "registered" class isn't going to change much in the end results.

As I previously mentioned, this goes back thirty years and keeps getting pushed back. However, talking with a number of people it really looks like this time it's going through.

the delay comes from 2 things

1. implementing this country wide with the Department of Motor Vehicles system
2. increasing cost of tuition which some people wont afford

How has that been going? Are you offering classes, one-on-one, or what?
used to do one on one, now we do two people for parking, one on one for driving. It helps people look at maneuver from outside.

its going. takes a lot of time to teach people to park using skill, eye, and feel vs tricks, but thats my goal from the start.

you want a cdl, or to train?

I didn't read the whole thing

I've held a class B w/ air brake 15 years ago, future employment might benefit from that again

If I got that now, would I be grandfathered if I sought a class A in the future?

I've held a class B w/ air brake 15 years ago, future employment might benefit from that again

If I got that now, would I be grandfathered if I sought a class A in the future?

probably not. but again, theyve been pushing it back for a while.

From what I read you dont need to be accredited, just provide ELDT which basically can be done via online.

But again, Ive been hearing about this for two years, and every year it gets postponed. (even before covid). Iirc this started in 2016.

p.s. i hate paperwork, which is why i havent done anything with accreditation :homer:
When I had to get my last business ISO accreditation I hired some consultants to come and do that shit.

I bet there is someone doing that for your industry.

while taking a turn or what?

Yep, the third turn from the end of the test - literally within half a mile from the end. Tight right-hand turn into a residential neighborhood with traffic coming past me on the main street and traffic backed up on the side street I was turning into. It was also at the end of the full pre-trip inspection (underhood, front to back of the entire rig, interior, and brake check); straight backing, offset backing, and alley dock; and 45 minute / 20 mile on-road exam through afternoon rush-hour traffic - all in 50℉ steady rain and fog... I had somewhat hoped the examiner would cut things short due to the weather - until he came out looking like he was dressed for a stint on Deadliest Catch. Clearly a little cold rain wasn't going to be an issue for him...

I'm actually pretty pleased that was all I didn't pass considering the conditions. I was cold, wet, and tired at that point and made a mistake. I have to reschedule just the on-road exam and that will all I have to take, so I'll be fresh - not to mention dry and warm no matter the weather that day.

From the link:
This includes those seeking: a Class A or Class B CDL; an upgrade to their CDL (such as a Class B CDL holder seeking a Class A CDL), or a hazardous materials (H), passenger (P), or school bus (S) endorsement for their license. Also included are those taking a CDL or P and S endorsement skills test or the H endorsement knowledge examination.

So, yes. You'd have to take "classes" with a "registered training provider" before taking the exams to upgrade from the class B to the class A.

As such, I somewhat doubt I'll ever use it, but I'm considering at least the H and P endorsements. No need for S, kids would drive me nuts.

Last edited:
This includes those seeking: a Class A or Class B CDL; an upgrade to their CDL (such as a Class B CDL holder seeking a Class A CDL), or a hazardous materials (H), passenger (P), or school bus (S) endorsement for their license. Also included are those taking a CDL or P and S endorsement skills test or the H endorsement knowledge examination. I can't follow the legalese, can anybody offer an informed opinion on if I got my class a with a pickup could I later upgrade that to airbrakes without going to school?

The whitepaper only mentions the H, P, and S endorsements and doesn't mention removing restrictions. You'd have to dig deeper to what actually needs schooling.

You're going to need a GCWR of 26,001 or more for your pickup and trailer combination to get a Class A with it and then you'd need an air brake equipped vehicle for the skills test to remove the air brake restriction.

Removing the air brake restriction requires both a written and skills test.

For reference, here are the endorsements and what tests you need:
Endorsements.png

Last edited:
Got my class A this morning. The place it took my test at says they are slammed with people getting their licenses now.

Around here everyone is advertising for needing drivers - including the school districts for school buses and the DOT for plow drivers. Between the demand and the change in rules, a lot of people are taking the exams.

Would this change anything for a CDL holder getting a motorcycle endorsement? I thought about getting a bike next year.

Finally got my Class A, no restrictions (interstate, full combination, air brakes, and manual transmission), and (currently) no endorsements yesterday. With that out of the way, I'm going for my twins/triples, tank, and hazardous endorsements. These are knowledge (written) tests only without having to take a skills test.

2021 1217 CDL.png

Last edited:
This thread, along with local high demand for my previous profession, heavy equipment field mechanic, has spurned me to get this going.

Im after class B with air brakes

Should I just go for the class A as well?

I got the book, downloaded some testing apps, I got skunked at the mvd today, I need my health card first, getting that done tomorrow

This thread, along with local high demand for my previous profession, heavy equipment field mechanic, has spurned me to get this going.

I got the book, downloaded some testing apps, I got skunked at the mvd today, I need my health card first, getting that done tomorrow
So in wi if you get your temps before the feb date you are grandfathered in. You can take the behind the wheel until your temps expire even after the feb cutoff.

Got like 4 guys getting temps in the next few weeks. This is pretty stupid.

If you get the Class B and then decide you need Class A later, you'll have to get the training... I went for Class A to cover my bases.

So in wi if you get your temps before the feb date you are grandfathered in.

Same in PA - get your learner's permit before Feb. 7th and you have until it expires to pass the behind the wheel stuff.

There is no reason to not get an A. Having a B sucks because you won’t be able to tow anything. Get an A with tanker and double/triples endorsements, thank me later:flipoff2:

Top Back Refresh