What's new

Generator house batts inverters?

Projectjunkie

Whatever
Member Number
Loc
Tucson Az
I'll get specs and loads and all to size components, but mainly I need to know where to start

neighbor bought a dog grooming van with a 4k generator, a 120v rooftop AC, a handful of 120v water pumps etc, she mentioned upsizing the generator because she's popping breakers, she's added a vacuum, she's juggling what she can run.

I'm sure we could add a couple house batteries that charged off the generator and could carry the load during the spikes, right?

Is there a single component that will handle charging and converting back to a.c.?

there isn't a capacitor solution that could handle that, right?

Hybrid inverter chargers do this, like the victron multiplus. It can draw power from a generator (or shore power) as well as a 12/24/48v battery bank to feed 120v loads. Meaning, if your 120v source is not enough to power a circuit on its own, then it can draw from both sources to meet the draw.

https://invertersrus.com/product/vic...-pmp123021102/

That being said, wires are sized for the load, and breakers are there to protect the wires. If she's tripping breakers, then the problem is that she's putting too much load on the circuit. Upsizing the generator would give you more supply, but wouldn't prevent the breakers from tripping, depending of course which breakers they're talking about.

Last edited:
Reactions: Clb
Top Back Refresh