What's new

Generac 20kw generator tech help needed.

not2hye

Knucklehead
Member Number
Loc
Hellifornia
Friend brought me this Generac 20kw machine that needs to be brought back to good working order and converted to propane.

Model: 91A01762-S

It is currently running on gas (not great) with a VW carb and adapter plate. It did come with the originally equipped NG setup, which I believe we just need to use a propane converter and plumb it into the impco carb.
I also need to do a timing belt and water pump (might as well while we are in there, right?) along with a complete tune up and all fluid serviced. Probably should change all hoses and thermostat as well.
Any good parts sources for these machines that aren't outrageous CAT dealer prices?

I cannot find any info on this model with google.

20200525_131949.jpg
20200525_131946.jpg
20200525_132038.jpg
20200525_132046.jpg
20200525_132011.jpg

Try calling Generac directly?

I did. They cant look up parts for it anymore. :laughing:

They referred me to ES west and they quoted me $283 for a timing belt, $1,786 for the water pump, and $115 for the thermostat. :eek: :eek: :eek:

They did give me the info to use that nat gas unit for propane.

What motor is it? If you can figure that out you might be able to source parts cheaper.

The better question is, "does it make any electrical power?". You could get the motor running and still have a bad gen head and that can be a lot of $$$ to fix.

Kevin

What motor is it? If you can figure that out you might be able to source parts cheaper.

The better question is, "does it make any electrical power?". You could get the motor running and still have a bad gen head and that can be a lot of $$$ to fix.

Kevin

I've got to convert it back to nat gas or propane to do any testing first. But I get what you're saying. It doesnt run at the right speed on gasoline, and doesn't make correct 60hz.

Good news is I can use the existing ng doo dad I've got by removing a spring. It just needs to see 11 to 14 inches of water column. Eventually I want to set it up to run on forklift tanks and big propane tanks.

I'm told its the same engine as a nissan micra or march. But they didnt sell those in the states and none of the local parts stores can find parts by application.

I did figure out some quicksilver marine numbers on them. But worried about the water pump going the same direction due to how different marine cooling systems are versus automotive and industrial.

I've got to convert it back to nat gas or propane to do any testing first. But I get what you're saying. It doesnt run at the right speed on gasoline, and doesn't make correct 60hz.

So you've at least done some testing and it makes some voltage? That's at least a good sign.

Kevin

Top Back Refresh