What's new

Gardening thread 2024

Sluggy

Drives by braille
Member Number
Loc
Bay Area
I couldn't find a 2024 version yet so figured I'd start it up. What's everyone planting? I'm going to start cleaning out my raised beds this morning and get my seed starts going on the window sill. I already have volunteer Fava beans and sunflowers going right now. Some of my pepper plants made it through the winter and contemplating on letting them ride another year out. My apricot, plum and avocado are blooming and I need to trim my trees.

So how's your garden going?

Martino's Romas, a crap load of pepper varieties, several varieties of bells, Anaheim, Poblano, Tams Jalapeno, and Datil, and some yellow and green zucchini. Datil were free with my Baker Heirloom order, don't know anything about them other than hot pepper. Herbs too, basil, cilantro, rosemary, and chives.

All started from seed. Most in 8oz sour cream containers I've collected for 2+ years. Zucchini is in some medium plastic Bonnie pots from previous plants.

All veggies are still inside on heat pads with grow lights. Herbs I planted outside.

First year starting the zucchini inside, trying to stave off vine borers, I'm going to get them decent size and make a Bt/Carbamate paste to paint the stems with before they move outside.

Never successfully grown rosemary from seed but I don't seem to be able to keep the store bought plants alive. I think 3 Year is my current record.

I ran out of sour cream containers and wanted some small pots for starters that are beefier than the paper thin plastic that store bought plants come in. I'm pretty pleased with these so far.

GROWNEER 30Pcs 2.7 Inches Nursery Pots, Thickened Square Transplanting Pots Kit. Amazon.com

Last edited:
I've always used red keg cups with holes in the bottom for drainage. Cheap and plentiful in my house to plant my seed/ starters in.

Datil peppers not Dilek peppers, I edited it to correct it. Google says they're like a sweet habanero.

I think I was mixing them up with something else.

6952c12f-7589-4e2c-9080-807fc79c3f15_text.gif

Tomatoes are beginning to sprout. Beefsteaks, romas, cherry, esrly girls & better boys. First Habanero has sprouted trying 5 varieties. Bell peppers are seeded from ones we grew last year. Peas, spinach and lettuce will go in the ground by this weekend. Asparagus is coming up. Cabbage wintered over along with broccoli and celery. Kale plant is like 6 years old now.
IMG_3449.jpeg
IMG_3448.jpeg

We've got about 50 tomato plants (6-8 varieties of canners and slicers), 60 peppers (15 or so varieties), tomatillos, beans, spinach, lettuce, potatoes, carrots, beets, radishes, and a bunch of other shit to be direct sown.

Started seeds indoors about 2/1 and will be planting this week through the weekend. Did the starts in 50 and 75 cell trays, and have potted the tomatoes, tomatillos, and some peppers up to 4". We should have tomatoes and tomatillos by 6/1. The tomatillos are already flowering.

20240314_154516.jpg

I needed to expand the garden from last year and provide some better support for the tomatoes. They were 5' by mid-June last year, and it was a constant battle to keep the cages upright with the storms, and then extend them to support the plants that grew to >8' tall. This year, I'm trying cable support and clipping them off to twine hanging from above.

20240324_181045.jpg

Looking like I'll be busy this summer.

Wife is on a planting frenzy. All I know is my strawberries made it through the winter even down to 10 below. Just covered them in some hay till recently. :smokin:

Fruit trees are in full bloom so hopefully I get a good peach crop this year.

Guess I need to get mommas garden enclosure built right quick. :homer:

Still 2 months before the ground is thawed and warm enough.

Getting mine ready to plant. Okra, cucumbers, and jalapeños were my wife’s top sellers last year so I’m devoting majority of our small garden to that. Also planning bell peppers, zucchini, squash, beans, and maters. I planted a couple apple trees, peach trees, and pear trees a few weeks ago.
IMG_5413.jpeg

Building a new chicken coop and run outside of garden this year so I can devote entire area to garden.
IMG_5414.jpeg

I have another 5 acres that I’m not using that I dream of planting corn and potato’s in one day when I buy some more equipment (tractor tiller, planter, etc.)
IMG_1992.jpeg

Just put the greenhouse together yesterday to start seeds. OK, wife to start seeds, I’m just the landscaper / hole bitch. Have 3 above ground beds to work on, but that side of the house doesn’t have much sun yet (north facing.).

I'm in a long term airbnb and won't be back in my house till maybe October or November. I thought I would miss out this years gardening season, but the airbnb has some empty mulched over areas, so I went ahead and planted six peppers and three tomatoes, and threw a few cheap flowers in another empty planter on the porch. I couldn't help it. I'm also going to put some cheap annuals in my front yard so it looks more lived in.

Every year I sprout 25/30 sunflowers, keep half, give the rest away. I'll do that too, just for fun. I like it when my friends/ relatives tell me about how their sunflowers are doing.

Top Back Refresh