What's new

Game Camera?

ihpartsjeff

IH Expert Guy
Member Number
Loc
Grass Valley, CA
I've got homeless/tweakers/theives trying to siphon gas from our old trucks and generally starting to see some parts disappear in the back lot that our security cameras do not reach. I was thinking of getting a couple game cameras but there seems to be a million choices for them. I'm looking for one that will text me pictures when the camera gets triggered. And a good picture too, not just some grainy image. Any recommendations? Cel signal is extremely strong on the property as a cell tower sits on it.

What I have out back:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/202657362070

s-l1600.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	s-l1600.jpg Views:	0 Size:	150.0 KB ID:	17047

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF0001.JPG Views:	0 Size:	701.8 KB ID:	17048

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF0022.JPG Views:	0 Size:	732.5 KB ID:	17049

As for the texting photos, I don't think this one can do it. Someone smarter than I can answer this, but won't it need its own SIM card? Perhaps not if its in range of the wi-fi. That's the reason why I got this one. Where its located, its not anywhere near wi-fi. Hell, there's barely any service as it is.

edit: well, I can't seem to get the gifs to load. But just click on the link.

Last edited:
SpyPoint. Its the only one I know of that gives you a 100 pictures a month free. Check to see what service has a stronger reception as that will hep conserve battery life. Poor signal and the batteries will cook in a week. Good signal and its all summer unless it takes 1000’s of pictures a month.

or do what I was about to before we got our methhead neighbors evicted. Get a cheap harbor freight camera set up and place it aiming at the area and make it visible. Then put up a lit up sign that says Cop Cam. This video stream is live streaming to the _____ PD. Then put a good camera or 2 watching their reactions. When I just let the methheads know I was sending date and time stamped photos of everyone coming and going they damn near fully shut down. But you will be starting a war of sorts with them so stay cool and remember its a long game.
Another option is leave something they want in sight and cover it with something foul and very hard to remove. Like skunk sent impregnated neverseize.

Here is a picture of a thief when he broke into our trailer. This is off a Spypoint Link-S. It sends me updates when the camera triggers. The app is pretty useful. It will only send pictures but the cameras can do video, you just have to go get the card to view. These have built in solar panel and in 8 months have yet to need batteries. Also they have GPS tracking so if the camera is stolen you can see where it goes. These things are pretty worthless if you are having night invasions. I mean they work great and do what they say. Just no game camera is going to be able to provide great night pictures from what I have seen.

photo4308.jpg

I've got one like woods watching my back yard, I got it from Amazon but it looks like the same camera. Got mine for like $50. I think it's limited to a 32G card when you stick a 64G in it won't power on.

I got a Cabela's brand camera for Christmas and it sucks, takes a picture every 30 seconds until it dies.

link to camera I got from Amazon --> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I run spypoint evo's with a Verizon plan. Texted pics are ok but the HD pics you'd have to pull off the card. Below is a link for the Micro.

https://www.spypoint.com/en/products...ink-micro.html

This one looks close to if not exactly what i'm looking for. Looks simple to use and not priced real high. I couldn't find it in the description, but I assume it texts you when it takes a picture?

I got a browning strike force hd. it takes pretty good pics and video. no idea if it will send things to yer phone though.

RUGER

This one looks close to if not exactly what i'm looking for. Looks simple to use and not priced real high. I couldn't find it in the description, but I assume it texts you when it takes a picture?

The Spypoint app allows you to set it up to transmit after each detection, once, twice, 6, or 12 times a day. Originally I had it set for each detection but that got old getting a message every couple minutes. Their app is pretty handy but it annoys me that you cant ping the camera like I can on my Ring cameras.

You can set it up however you want with the phone app. Pay for the yearly deal because it will take pics of everything that moves and you will out run the 100 pics a month

I ordered the Link-Dark as it had a few more options and the price was better when I shopped it on Amazon. Now to locate a place out of reach where I can mount this thing when it comes in. Thanks for all the info everyone! I wouldn't have thought to order this one without your recommendation.

I haven't hung it up yet, but I did get it and have it set up to text/email me photos. Took a few days to set up as I had to download a software update to it. Needed a card reader to do that. Once I got that in and the software updated it connected to my phone, and bam pictures were being texted. Pretty cool camera. Now to set it up and see what odd things it catches at night.

Top Back Refresh