What's new

G80 4.10 locating Rear Diff Parts 05 Silverado

Leadfoot21

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Let me start off by saying I’ve been reading on here daily since the beginning and never posted or joined . I am a mechanic for a living but am not a rear differential pro and don’t claim to be . My personal truck is an 05 crew cab Silverado 1500 . It has factory 4.10s and the factory G80 locker . I’m having a heck of a time finding parts or a used diff . Local go to salvage guy told me there was one available in Oklahoma and they wouldn’t budge from 1300 . New ones are available from the aftermarket for 15-1700. I’m interested in just rebuilding it myself but it damaged the carrier and pinion gear is fubared as is ring gear . I want to order parts but information seems pretty limited on this rear end . I’m still not sure which rear end this is ? 9.5 is what I was assuming . Parts are all discontinued from Chevrolet so I was thinking about going with an aftermarket locker . What rear diff do I have this being a 1/2 ton and what and where should I order ? I know there’s some very knowledgeable people here and I’m not afraid to admit I’m having a little trouble here .

To determine what axle you have, count the cover bolts. 10 is an 8.6” 10 bolt, 14 is the 9.5” semi floating 14 bolt.

Then if you want, order up a new center section and set of gears from an aftermarket vendor. Now would be the perfect time to upgrade to a limited slip or locker, depending on your uses. You could also talk to a driveline shop, as most I’ve used have some used center sections on the shelf or are willing to rebuild the axle in your truck with new components.

Its a fucking 8.6 10. If you find one used youll pay through the nose for it.

Any junk yard take out will more than likely be just that. Junk.

Throw that g80 in the fucking garbage and buy a trutrac, clutch posi or even just an open.

If it needs axle shaft just buy a 9.5" 14bsf 6lug and spend the money on it to get the right gear ratio.

I fucking hate 8.6 with a passion. Ive had to rebuild 500ish of them. They are fucking trash and belong on a boat to china and in a cauldron.

Yeah the g80 is destroyed as is the ring and pinion . I keep seeing conflicting information about 8.5 or 8.6 . I loved the 4:10 gears but I want an affordable locker even though it really doesn’t need it. I’d like to fix it as cheaply as possible without putting junk in it . I haven’t set up a rear end since auto tech classes in college .

In '05... its either an 8.6" or a 9.5".

I've put a Lockright in just about every vehicle I've owned in the last 20 years. Very affordable.
My gut says its a fragile proposition for an 8.6, but my buddy managed in a 2wd/V6/5spd S10 for a good long while... and didn't blow it despite his enjoyment for burnouts.

In '05... its either an 8.6" or a 9.5".

I've put a Lockright in just about every vehicle I've owned in the last 20 years. Very affordable.
My gut says its a fragile proposition for an 8.6, but my buddy managed in a 2wd/V6/5spd S10 for a good long while... and didn't blow it despite his enjoyment for burnouts.

The only ones ive seen truely broken was govloc carriers. The shafts ive all had were just worn the fuck out from bad brgs, overloaded and straight up neglected.

I ended up buying a Yukon dura-grip a bearing kit from USA standard gear and dropped it off at a well respected hot rod shop that does a LOT of ring and pinion swaps he supplied motive ring and pinion and had it ready for me to pick up the next day . It’s in and on the road and quiet as can be . Cost me less than 1000 and it’s all new and all upgraded I am happy.

I ended up buying a Yukon dura-grip a bearing kit from USA standard gear and dropped it off at a well respected hot rod shop that does a LOT of ring and pinion swaps he supplied motive ring and pinion and had it ready for me to pick up the next day . It’s in and on the road and quiet as can be . Cost me less than 1000 and it’s all new and all upgraded I am happy.

Any money spent getting rid of the gov-bomb is money well spent.

I’ve been using car-part.com for the last decade and it is usually very helpful . In this instance it was too scarce . I agree it was money well spent I didn’t realize what a turd the g80 was . It was fine one night . Went to ihop with my kids one evening and it might a strange noise . Put it on my lift and noticed it was sloppy but that was it . Took off for work the next day came around an on ramp and it popped made it about 10 more miles before it sounded like all hell had broke loose managed to limp in home slowly 50 miles back home .

Why does it gotta go to China to be melted down? Why can't we just do it here?
Its a fucking 8.6 10. If you find one used youll pay through the nose for it.

Any junk yard take out will more than likely be just that. Junk.

Throw that g80 in the fucking garbage and buy a trutrac, clutch posi or even just an open.

If it needs axle shaft just buy a 9.5" 14bsf 6lug and spend the money on it to get the right gear ratio.

I fucking hate 8.6 with a passion. Ive had to rebuild 500ish of them. They are fucking trash and belong on a boat to china and in a cauldron.

I’ve been using car-part.com for the last decade and it is usually very helpful . In this instance it was too scarce . I agree it was money well spent I didn’t realize what a turd the g80 was . It was fine one night . Went to ihop with my kids one evening and it might a strange noise . Put it on my lift and noticed it was sloppy but that was it . Took off for work the next day came around an on ramp and it popped made it about 10 more miles before it sounded like all hell had broke loose managed to limp in home slowly 50 miles back home .

Wait, what was "sloppy"

Sterlingfire the ring to pinion was sloppy there was several teeth completely busted off on both . When I was trying to replicate the “pop” without draining it knowing I had to drive it the next day I noticed an area of zero engagement for a moment which is what I’m describing as sloppy .

Top Back Refresh