What's new

G3

animator

Member Number
Loc
DFW
Picked up an incomplete G3 kit a while back. Had to get a bcg and misc parts from HKParts. Got the receiver from them as well.

Best I can tell it’s either a Saudi contract with an unmarked grip frame, or is an Iranian kit. The tan furniture is apparently not that common, and doesn’t seem to match the paki tan furniture Apex has been selling recently.
DE2547C1-FB78-4797-BCF9-13E926AFE087.jpeg

Last edited:
Flat and weldments from Hkparts.
0D52391C-220D-44D2-800C-8165D3828161.jpeg
381CAC31-270E-4941-B207-B131559E97AD.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Jes
I bought myself a tig welder and learned how to sort of use it maybe good enough to make a decent rifle. These little jigs are great for odd parts.
1268C884-8405-4CAE-A27A-F1559C0B9AF8.jpeg

Last edited:
Love it. I have been really thinking about doing a G3 or FAL. Need to act on it.

Number two. Done except for a few minor things like the barrel pin, endcap, and the elusive rear sight that’s in a box somewhere.

This wasn’t a parts kit, but all parts came from HKparts except for the barrel which is from PTR that I’ve had sitting around since maybe 2010.
7800D84F-1061-4999-9DBF-6B0FD25628B3.jpeg

Last edited:
Ah, indeed. A gaggle of buttstock faces.

the cetme kits also do the really short 5" barrels nicely, because of how the cocking handle goes over the bolt carrier rather than just sitting in front of it like the HK one does.
you need a 65 degree wedge for that mess to cycle though

hmmmm
I bought a PRT32 last month and just got it working right. I hadn't thought about building a .308 one....
image0.jpeg

Shot the two G3 clones over the weekend. They’ll need some break-in to get fully functional. Seems they always take a hundred rounds to get loosened up enough to run.

Finished up the CETME tonight. Will put some rounds through it next chance I get.
16BC3714-AAAB-433E-A78E-04C756F22E10.jpeg

Last edited:
This thread really makes me want to build one. Hell, the parts kits from Apex are $160 sans barrel and pin :emb:
Receiver: $75
Barrel: $160
So like $400 for a 80% cetme... :stirthepot:

Can you get a non.fluted barrel and run standard brass without breakage or stickage?

Can you get a non.fluted barrel and run standard brass without breakage or stickage?
I've heard you need to oil the ammo to get it to run without tearing case heads off with a non-fluted chamber.
there's also a guy that set one up with a parallel angled locking wedge and a gas system, so it is locked instead of delayed

Also I don't get the "standard brass" bit of your question.

Shot the two G3 clones over the weekend. They’ll need some break-in to get fully functional. Seems they always take a hundred rounds to get loosened up enough to run.

Finished up the CETME tonight. Will put some rounds through it next chance I get.
just realized one of them is g3k length sights/tube on a 16" barrel
neat, thought about doing one but... I dunno.

I've heard you need to oil the ammo to get it to run without tearing case heads off with a non-fluted chamber.
there's also a guy that set one up with a parallel angled locking wedge and a gas system, so it is locked instead of delayed

Also I don't get the "standard brass" bit of your question.

NATO brass is thicker than 308 store brass.

Yep, it’s a 16” PTR barrel I’ve had for over a decade. I ordered the 16” by mistake when I built my first one years ago, so I got to order a correct-length one and just kept the short one for a future project. Figured I’d finally put it to use.

On the chamber flutes, I have an old SW5 (mp5 clone) that does not have a fluted chamber. It fails to extract fairly regularly, and I’ve replaced the extractor and spring, which helped, but it’s not 100%. I’m not saying the lack of flutes is causing the failures, but I can’t rule it out either.

Just figured out that one of my cetme parts kits came with a ground bolt head, straight from either centerfire or apex or sarco, I forget who I bought it from

it isn't like it is bench grindered either, the machining marks on the back face of the bolt head actually look like they're from a metal shaper, they're too uniform to have been from a surface grinder...

Were "ground bolts" an actual spanish thing?
It is indeed .015" shorter in length than the other 2 bolt heads I've held it against.

I bought myself a tig welder and learned how to sort of use it maybe good enough to make a decent rifle. These little jigs are great for odd parts.

Always like those. How much does a build like that run?

Top Back Refresh