What's new

Full Hydro

simmons3067

Member Number
I have a PSC double ended ram collecting dust. I am currently running hydro assist with a surplus center 1.5” ram and a trail gear pump. My steering is still slower than I would like. I am thinking the tapped IFS steering box is my bottleneck leading me to entertain full hydro. Does anyone have experience running the trail gear pump on a double ended 2.5” ram?

i am running trailgear pump and 2.5 8 inch single ended ram and its slow as hell also. wish i would have went 2.25 or 2 inch

some things i need to check is - are my lines actually 3/8 or did i run 1/4, i may try going to 1/2 lines for the feed and see if that helps. who knows. if that does not then a steering quickened will be in order.

Last edited:
i am running trailgear pump and 2.5 8 inch single ended ram and its slow as hell also. wish i would have went 2.25 or 2 inch
No you don't. Absolutely lacking force to move anything.

If you want a fast full hydro you'll need to step your pump up. PSC CBR is a good entry level pump that will bolt in place of your trail gear unit.

Also make sure your plumbing is up to the task.

Hydro and hydro assist steering I did not give enough credit during my first stage of the build. I am learning there is so many variables that go into hydro steering. Definitely a live and learn part of our sport.

I have a PSC double ended ram collecting dust. I am currently running hydro assist with a surplus center 1.5” ram and a trail gear pump. My steering is still slower than I would like. I am thinking the tapped IFS steering box is my bottleneck leading me to entertain full hydro. Does anyone have experience running the trail gear pump on a double ended 2.5” ram?

Have you looked into any of the high flow boxes? Scooterloo or Scooterloo2 :laughing: went to a trail gear high flow box, I haven't heard back if he noticed a difference or not.

I ran a 2.5" SE ram on 2 rigs and loved it. Drove my buddies 2.0" SE and it sucked in comparison.

some things i need to check is - are my lines actually 3/8 or did i run 1/4, i may try going to 1/2 lines for the feed and see if that helps. who knows. if that does not then a steering quickened will be in order.

Doubt line size is the issue. Have you figured out your orbital size?

How many turns is it from lock to lock?

OP: What is slow steering? Are you racing? Or just rock crawling? I run a TG steering box, PSC pump and reservoir, 1 3/4 PSC assist ram, and a tube style trans cooler. It suits me fine for street driving and plenty of power slow crawling/trail riding. If you want Eric Miller or Loren Healy steering you're going to need to spend more money.
Edit: Make sure supply feed to pump is properly sized, not kinked, and as close to the pump as possible.

OP: What is slow steering? Are you racing? Or just rock crawling? I run a TG steering box, PSC pump and reservoir, 1 3/4 PSC assist ram, and a tube style trans cooler. It suits me fine for street driving and plenty of power slow crawling/trail riding. If you want Eric Miller or Loren Healy steering you're going to need to spend more money.
Edit: Make sure supply feed to pump is properly sized, not kinked, and as close to the pump as possible.

What I didn't like about the typical Toyota assist setups that I have driven was just as simple as trying to correct a slide in the ice or snow. You just couldn't ever turn it very quickly.

Did you notice an improvement with the high flow box?

Have you looked into any of the high flow boxes? Scooterloo or Scooterloo2 :laughing: went to a trail gear high flow box, I haven't heard back if he noticed a difference or not.

I ran a 2.5" SE ram on 2 rigs and loved it. Drove my buddies 2.0" SE and it sucked in comparison.

Doubt line size is the issue. Have you figured out your orbital size?

How many turns is it from lock to lock?
i cant recal lock to lock but thought it was 3, or just shy. when i have the the rpms up. but the orbital is a 9.76 CI - 160 cc

it goes entirely too slow, number of turns is good. just too slow and at low rpm super slow. and sometimes it does not keep up with the terrain i am on.

What I didn't like about the typical Toyota assist setups that I have driven was just as simple as trying to correct a slide in the ice or snow. You just couldn't ever turn it very quickly.

This is my problem. Crawling around my steering is ok. In mud or gravel roads if it fish tails you cant correct fast enough.

Yes, worked great with just the box, no assist. Added assist ram for a Rubicon trip earlier this summer and didn't notice any lag. (I was just crawling though.) I lack the power to slide corners in dry dirt properly, I'll let you know when the snow falls, lol. And I may be wrong, it might be an 1 1/2" assist ram.

Yes, worked great with just the box, no assist. Added assist ram for a Rubicon trip earlier this summer and didn't notice any lag. (I was just crawling though.) I lack the power to slide corners in dry dirt properly, I'll let you know when the snow falls, lol. And I may be wrong, it might be an 1 1/2" assist ram.

Good to know. Thanks.

I need to figure out what I'm doing with my current project. Has a tapped ifs, but the pump whines on flat ground aired up.

Good to know. Thanks.

I need to figure out what I'm doing with my current project. Has a tapped ifs, but the pump whines on flat ground aired up.
Bleeding was an issue for me. Turning lock to lock, engine off 50 to 100 times. Then idling lock to lock off the ground. Multiple cycles, wait for foamy fluid to settle. Took a bit of doing, over the course of a couple days. Make sure your feed line to the pump is adequate, not kinked, sized right. The bigger the reservoir the better.

Bleeding was an issue for me. Turning lock to lock, engine off 50 to 100 times. Then idling lock to lock off the ground. Multiple cycles, wait for foamy fluid to settle. Took a bit of doing, over the course of a couple days. Make sure your feed line to the pump is adequate, not kinked, sized right. The bigger the reservoir the better.

Well don't jinx me! :flipoff2:

I've set up a dozen or more hydro or assist setups and never had a major issue bleeding. So maybe I'm due? :laughing:

Top Back Refresh