What's new

Fuel Pump help (I'm an idiot)

korda

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
San Diego, CA
So I've got a '62 Scout 80, stock 152 with a a Weber 32/36 carb. I know I replaced the fuel pump when I got it 5 or 6 years ago. Went to drive it last week and the fuel pump that's on it is spitting fuel out of the weep holes. I go to Oreilly's and get a new pump. Replace it and can't get it to pump fuel. I notice the new pump arm seems to have more throw than the old one it's replacing. I order a carter pump and replace it again. I for the life of me can't get either of them to pump fuel. I swear I've put it in correctly, I can suck fuel through the pump up to the carb. Scout runs fine if put fuel in the carb bowls.

What am I doing wrong? I turned the engine over with my finger in the hole ( :flipoff2:) and can feel the eccentric turning when cranking. Its getting close to be burned to the ground but I know I've done something stupid. I did this once before with no issues.

Does this have the fuel pump with the integrate vacuum pump? Assuming as you are going to O'reillys to get one, I'm assuming not. Here's a link to the pump my '65 has, all the pumps that I've seen from the auto parts stores have a differently shaped arm. As long as it contacts the cam properly, that shouldn't matter.

*Scout 80, Scout 800 Fuel Pump - 4 Cylinder - Rebuilt - No Glass Bowl - International Scout Parts - Scout II Parts - Your Authorized IH Lightline Dealer

I've seen many high-mileage early Scouts that were just converted to a low-pressure electric pump. Don't know if it was a lack of availability of the proper part, or what. When you say that the new pump has more 'throw', does that mean that you have to stroke it further? If you short-stroke some of those mechanical pumps, they don't suck or push fuel worth a damn.

Does this have the fuel pump with the integrate vacuum pump? Assuming as you are going to O'reillys to get one, I'm assuming not. Here's a link to the pump my '65 has, all the pumps that I've seen from the auto parts stores have a differently shaped arm. As long as it contacts the cam properly, that shouldn't matter.

*Scout 80, Scout 800 Fuel Pump - 4 Cylinder - Rebuilt - No Glass Bowl - International Scout Parts - Scout II Parts - Your Authorized IH Lightline Dealer

I've seen many high-mileage early Scouts that were just converted to a low-pressure electric pump. Don't know if it was a lack of availability of the proper part, or what. When you say that the new pump has more 'throw', does that mean that you have to stroke it further? If you short-stroke s ome of those mechanical pumps, they don't suck or push fuel worth a damn.
No vacuum pump on it, I did electric wipers. The arm is the same shape but seems like maybe it's short stroking the fuel pump. It must be taking more travel before working the diaphragm. I'm temped to weld something on top of the arm and see if it started pumping. If I can't figure it out I'll just get one of those electric pumps.

I think the pump with the rotted diaphragm was from napa, maybe I get one from them and try it since it worked last time.:confused: I guess I could check the scouts parts places too.

No vacuum pump on it, I did electric wipers. The arm is the same shape but seems like maybe it's short stroking the fuel pump. It must be taking more travel before working the diaphragm. I'm temped to weld something on top of the arm and see if it started pumping. If I can't figure it out I'll just get one of those electric pumps.

I think the pump with the rotted diaphragm was from napa, maybe I get one from them and try it since it worked last time.:confused: I guess I could check the scouts parts places too.
Most of the scout parts places are selling aftermarket pumps, but as they are catering to a niche, you are paying extra to get either a verified correct part number for oddball vehicles or a verified good supplier.

Personally, if it's original, I like to keep it that way. But if its causing you to not want to drive it, make it drivable. I love driving my '65, and it's one of the most reliable vehicles I own to jump in after setting for months. I actually keep it where I work right now as a backup:laughing:. I work odd hours and have a 30mile drive home so I want to get there when its time to leave.

Can you take apart the original pump and rebuild it? Probably just needs one of the few rubber components replaced since it's weeping.

I'd also verify you are receiving the correct part. I've had many times where the parts store has the incorrect part number in their system, so it's worthwhile to verify.

just for fun, go pick up a universal 12v solenoid fuel pump. They're under $20, install it ahead of your diaphram pump or bypass it entirely.

So I took my old pump and the new one apart. The shaft that the lever arm connects to and runs down to the big diagphram was about 1/8" longer in this new one. I shortened it, welded it back together and then welded a chunk of steel on top of the lever/arm for good measure. Works like it should. It was definitely and issue where the pump wanted more throw than the cam could give it.

I did run a parallel electric pump so I have that now when this pump rots out.

Top Back Refresh