What's new

Fucking suzuki and their dumb ass Phillips shit!

YotaAtieToo

Thick skull
Member Number
Loc
Bonners Ferry, ID
I've dealt with these things on various rigs almost 20 fucking years now and I still hate them :mad3:

5 min coil swap turns into a pain because of stupid Phillips :homer:

20221027_165413.jpg

This thread is virtually useless, but I thought others might enjoy venting about their Phillips related issues :flipoff2:

Or share tricks to avoid this....

VW has them in weird places too. Most of it is torx, and then in random places it'll be Phillips. It's like working on a 90s Dodge where it's randomly metric and standard.
I loved my square body Chevs... could take probably half the truck apart with just a 1/2" and 9/16" wrench.

Serious. The only thing that worked taking my door hinges off, and a drill is the next step.

Wait, really? Is every cross-head screw from a Japanese manufacturer actually JIS? I can barely see a little JIS dot on the lower screw, but not on the big one that's all torn up.

JIS is actually kind of rad once you have the special drivers; it's like Phillips that actually works. But it sucks if you don't know they're different. It's extra fucked up if they don't mark them with the dot, because if you try to use a Phillips driver in a JIS, it just strips instantly.

Yup, got a set of fancy ass jizz bits for the impact and started ripping the heads of screws on the Samurai. :lmao:

Serious. The only thing that worked taking my door hinges off, and a drill is the next step.

You must be the only one, I remember trying that in hs school shop and just denting the tub in :laughing: then reading about lots of other people doing it.

Welding a bolt or nut to them always worked for me, the heat would break it free, then you had something you actually grab.

I've had good luck drilling them with a larger size that the threads also. One the head pops off, you can just thread it out.

Technically it’s JIS :flipoff2:

Mother fucker, :homer:

I always thought they fit like shit :laughing:

I'm sure a properly fitting bit would make a huge difference. Can't believe I never knew that all these years.

I had no idea these weren’t Phillips…

Useless thread is no longer useless. :flipoff2:

I usually use an old reliable Phillips I have with a pair of vise grips on the handle. It works 90% of the time.

Need the Japanese screw driver..
I have the $80 amazon set of 3, They work
Also yes to the impact driver and you can also get the 5/16 jis driver bit on amazon.

Last edited:
Impact driver will work in certain areas like the door hinges, other areas you'll dent the samurai in one hammer tap.

I take bare 3/4" nuts and weld them to the screw then replace with Allen head equivalents. The heat from welding also breaks the 30 year old paint and crud and they come out like butter.

If I was home I take and share a pic of my box of 100+ screws with nuts welded to them. :laughing:

I've dealt with these things on various rigs almost 20 fucking years now and I still hate them :mad3:

5 min coil swap turns into a pain because of stupid Phillips :homer:

When I messed with suzukis they were only 10yo rusty and they cracked loose nice. That greenish dichromate plating was still intact.

I guess at 30yo rusty it's a different ballgame. :laughing:

Last edited:
Door hinge screws are easy. Hammer and a chisel, set the chisel up against the screwed at an angle and start tapping it with the hammer counter-clockwise until it digs in and then start hitting it a little harder. Even the most stubborn hinge screws tend to come out.

If they are rusted in place, some heat and PB Blaster and then let 'er sit for a bit to soak it before the hammer and chisel routine.

Buy the JIS bits. Get them off Amazon. Order me a set. I work with normal Phillips at work. And run into #2,#3 and #4 Phillips hardware all day. Nothing worse than using the wrong tool for the hardware.

Yeah, they fucking suck. Shit took forever to take apart when I was pulling the front clip. I started hitting them with the cut off wheel so I could use the flat head bit in my impact driver. Even then, some took torch persuasion for removal.

Needless to say, they aren't Phillips screws anymore.

Top Back Refresh