What's new

Fucked up my winch cable

Scott Cee aka 2drx4

Taste the butwhole
Member Number
Loc
The middle of BC, Canada
Somehow the thimble/eye/sleeve on my winch cable got fucked up last weekend.

20220802_205608.jpg

Can I just buck it off and buy a new thimble/clamps and clamp it? Are they equivalent strenght?

I don't know if I'll have time to unspool it all and take it to a shop that can swage it properly.

I’ve heard and followed that, but what is the logic or science in the saddle position? I can’t understand why the position would affect the clamping force , and it doesn’t look like it serves as any sort of safety backstop?

inside the saddle is little groves the line up and bite on the cable, as load is applied the live end slips some and bites in and stops from moving, if its the other way round the smooth part of the clamp will just slip

i am sure i can find a better explanation on the google BRB...

just remember never saddle a dead horse, and if you get super crazy with these wire rope clamps there is a spacing you should follow also, but for us i never worry about it.
I don't remember if the saddle is the block thingy or the u-bolt thingy. That's why I have to look. I mean I get it, but it's like the "right hand rule", it's great if you I get that the dead horse is the tail end.
this is better than my made up in my head explanation hahahahahah
1659629953411.png
:beer:
That makes sense. The u-bolt crushes the strands, but the "saddle" side is wider and flatter so it doesn't.

I like wire rope because it never turns into a block of ice that you can't pull line out of. And doesn't cut on rocks. And doesn't get full of dirt and silt and crap that degrades it. I've never experienced a wire rope failure either, perhaps my opinions would change then.

I've had both synthetic and steel cables. I do like the synthetic because its light and easy to handle but I also have never had a steel cable fail under load. I have damaged them by being irresponsible but always just replaced them before they broke. with anything, the winch cable should be ispected and maintained like any other critical part of the vehicle.

I'm running the ebay line with the full sheathed cover on my smity 9.5. No issues and is been over 2 years on the drum.

Have had a similar Amzn dbl braided 100' line on an 8274 since Feb 21. Cover is getting messed up but the line is still intact.

In an effort to get rid of as many projectiles as possible, thinking of removing metal eye. Plan to use a McDonald Brimmel splice mentioned in another thread.

So just to play devils advocate here... yall mentioning as little metal as possible in the winch setup...

Is it not mainly the energy stored in the cable itself that creates the rebound when something goes?

I can't see how still having a metal thimble would really still allow a rope to become a deadly slingshot. Even still with a metal hook, maybe it would rebound after a break a few feet but would a metal hook being the only metal piece still in the system still shoot back 50ft and go through a window?

Any known videos or reports of testing this theory?

Hmm... idk how real world scenario those tests were. The rope did have recoil but it was way overloaded. None of us are going to put that kind of load on a line.

I would like to see the same test but with a rope and a standard metal hook with the known weak point.

Honestly that video doesn't even compare apples to apples between the two since they removed the weak point, so there was way more tension on the rope than the cables.

But it does show some decent info. I'd like to see a remotely rigged up 1/2 ton with a 10-12k winch pulling on a known weak point. That'd be a good comparison vid.

I like wire rope because it never turns into a block of ice that you can't pull line out of. And doesn't cut on rocks. And doesn't get full of dirt and silt and crap that degrades it. I've never experienced a wire rope failure either, perhaps my opinions would change then.

Haven't had an issue with winch rope, even in -30c temps. Maybe more an issue in closer to 0c temps :confused:

So just to play devils advocate here... yall mentioning as little metal as possible in the winch setup...

Is it not mainly the energy stored in the cable itself that creates the rebound when something goes?

I can't see how still having a metal thimble would really still allow a rope to become a deadly slingshot. Even still with a metal hook, maybe it would rebound after a break a few feet but would a metal hook being the only metal piece still in the system still shoot back 50ft and go through a window?

Any known videos or reports of testing this theory?

Yes if the rope breaks then then metal ends wouldn't matter, along the lines above.

If the metal end breaks or comes loose then yes it does matter. Thimble, probably not. F=MA A is going to be pretty much the same given the same set of rope material.

Have had a similar Amzn dbl braided 100' line on an 8274 since Feb 21. Cover is getting messed up but the line is still intact.
This is fucking CHEAP for 100 ft of 3/8 synthetic line. The first question says the person snapped it on an 8k pull though so I'm left wondering about the quality.

This is fucking CHEAP for 100 ft of 3/8 synthetic line. The first question says the person snapped it on an 8k pull though so I'm left wondering about the quality.
Screenshot below is from the invoice.
1660751773422.png

1660752203409.png

I don't know the condition/s that caused the break, the person could have pulled the line across some sharp edge.

The 2nd amzn question/answer relates to rope material and they claim dyneema SK75.

Just got some of this. Looks the same, few different sizes, multiple colors...

Astra Depot Green 95ft x 3/8 inch 22000LBS Synthetic Winch Line Cable Rope with Heat Guard Protective Sleeves All Rock Guard for ATV UTV 4X4 Off-Road Vehicle https://a.co/d/9sRXLIL

Top Back Refresh