What's new

Front spring perch angle

AK_F250

Red Rocket
Member Number
Loc
Alaska
Anyone know the spring perch angle in relation to the 3rd mounting face on a mini truck front axle? I have to chop a good amount out of my ruffstuff housing for the pass side leaf so there’s no test fitting, once it’s cut that’s where it’s at. I sold the old axle and didn’t think to measure it.

Housing.jpg

I’d mount leafs and get weight on them and get the angle there. If it’s an 79-85 front hanger or a drop down hanger for an ifs swap this will affect perch angle.

I’d mount leafs and get weight on them and get the angle there. If it’s an 79-85 front hanger or a drop down hanger for an ifs swap this will affect perch angle.

Just going to a new axle, everything else is staying the same up front. I need to cut the section shown above out, and the plate that closes the housing back up will double as the spring perch, so I want to make the horizontal cut at the correct angle. The factory angle was perfect with a HP 3rd, no need to reinvent the wheel.

Can you mock it up kicked over to the side to get your angle? You sure you don't want any more caster?

I could, but the front driveshaft yoke was pretty tight on the bellhousing with the old setup if I managed to bottom the air bumps, so the main clearance I'm worried about wouldn't be able to be checked.

Added a couple degrees when the 80 balls went on.

Mine shows about 6*

Im currently on jackstands and I changed my perches awhile ago but that should be pretty close

And it drives and turns good on the road

Well not anymore now that the housing is bent :laughing:

Edit: that's the face of the 3rd member vs plumb

Mine shows about 6*

Im currently on jackstands and I changed my perches awhile ago but that should be pretty close

And it drives and turns good on the road

Well not anymore now that the housing is bent :laughing:

Edit: that's the face of the 3rd member vs plumb

I'm not sure what to take from this post :laughing:

Just remembered I actually have 2 Toyotas here with stock axles..... Back in 5

Edit: its not very easy to measure with axle in a truck. Even with my handy AF magnet digital angle finder. Spring pad to pinion flange is 15* holding it as flat as I can to the diff flange, it's 11*

Sorry :flipoff2:

Last edited:
And off to start a new thread titled Does anyone have a bare stock front housing and rudimentary angle finder skills? :lmao:

I thought this was effort :homer:

Buddies got a couple bare housings at his house, he's going to go put an angle finder on one when he has a chance.

Top Back Refresh