What's new

Front loader washer PSA: Clean your lint filter

aczlan

Good Morning!
Member Number
Loc
Fingerlakes region of NY
A door and pump relocation in a front loading washer counts as an "other build" right?

Wife texted me this afternoon to go take a look at her Mom's washer after work as it wasn't draining.
Got there and it (a Maytag MHW5630HC2) was pumping out a very thin trickle of water, then timing out on "draining too slow" (codes F9 and E1).
Dug around, found that it was most likely the filter/screen before the drain/circulation pumps ( credit to Jake at: FIXED - Maytag MHWE301YW00 Error Codes F9 & E1 who posted that section of the manual).
image.png

Most of these have the drawer for the soap low in the front and when you pull it out, you have instant access to the screen.

Sadly, this model has a blank front and the soap goes in at the top :mad3:

Didn't think that removing the front would work as the door was locked, the door has to come off for the front to come off and I didn't want to mess with getting the door unlocked.
Found someone talking about taking it out through the bottom ( Cleaning a Maytag MHW5630HW2 Drain Pump Filter ) but it's on a pedestal and I didn't want to be unscrewing it, tilting it, etc.
Thought about making a access hatch in the top of the pedestal, but if it ever were to flood, that would be a mess.
Took the back off, pulled the 4 plastic pins that hold the "pump skid" on (#19):
image(1).png

Disconnected the pump from the drum, made a mess, cleaned out 1-2 cups of 1/16" "sand" from the nonskid bottom of the floor mats she had been washing and started looking at the layout, found they had 4 holes in the back that the pump could mount to, but the recirculating pump output was too short to reach.
Found a leftover dishwasher drain hose in the shop and used that to extend the recirc pump output.
Rearranged the wire loom to make the plugs reach the new location.
Cut a "hatch" in the back, put 10-24 nutserts in the corners of the hatch, taped the edges to I don't shred my hand down the road (and to keep things from clattering), made a "door" out of the side of a computer case and bolted it on:
IMG_20230111_185544732.jpg

IMG_20230111_190124915~2.jpg

IMG_20230111_194640396.jpg

Used some adhesive zip tie mounts and zip ties to keep the renovated harness out of harms way and keep the hoses where they belong.

Last (but not least), I put a reminder on my calendar to empty it every 6 months.

Aaron Z

Attachments

• W10385295 Tech Sheet.pdf
    771.9 KB · Views: 10
Top Back Refresh