What's new

Front loader washer : LG or GE or Electrolux ?

Alright ladies, I'm bumping this.

Our ten year old Whirlpool Cabrio dryer is starting to squeak loudly. I'm sure it's a simple fix, but the matching washer shit the bed a couple years ago, so we got a cheap Whirlpool washer to replace it. Something I never thought to look at when buying, and didn't realize it until we hooked it up and went to use it, the damn thing doesn't take liquid fabric softener. I HATE dryer sheets. So, I guess now is a good time to replace both units.

I wasn't sure if I wanted front or top load, but after looking at them in person, the front loads sure seem flimsy. I don't give two shits about efficiency, water, electricity or propane. I want quality (Speed Queen flat out isn't in our current budget), I want clean clothes, and I don't want jeans that come out completely twisted to hell (can't remember what machine I had that was doing that?).

Right now I am leaning toward these Maytag units:

Thoughts on the impeller vs the agitator? I am leaning toward the impeller so we can wash larger blankets. It's just my wife and I now, so we probably don't really need the largest capacity, but I'd rather have it than not. My wife may need a stool to reach the bottom of the washer though...

It's between this and the Whirlpool equivalent, which has the removable agitator. I will NEVER buy another LG appliance again.

Well, just got a set of speed queen stuff myself cause this place. Love them so far.

Attachments

• IMG_4321.jpeg
    IMG_4321.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 13
Most all the agitators are easy to remove so that you can do big blankets

Edit: so I vote a removable agitator one

Alright ladies, I'm bumping this.

Our ten year old Whirlpool Cabrio dryer is starting to squeak loudly. I'm sure it's a simple fix, but the matching washer shit the bed a couple years ago, so we got a cheap Whirlpool washer to replace it. Something I never thought to look at when buying, and didn't realize it until we hooked it up and went to use it, the damn thing doesn't take liquid fabric softener. I HATE dryer sheets. So, I guess now is a good time to replace both units.

I wasn't sure if I wanted front or top load, but after looking at them in person, the front loads sure seem flimsy. I don't give two shits about efficiency, water, electricity or propane. I want quality (Speed Queen flat out isn't in our current budget), I want clean clothes, and I don't want jeans that come out completely twisted to hell (can't remember what machine I had that was doing that?).

Right now I am leaning toward these Maytag units:

Thoughts on the impeller vs the agitator? I am leaning toward the impeller so we can wash larger blankets. It's just my wife and I now, so we probably don't really need the largest capacity, but I'd rather have it than not. My wife may need a stool to reach the bottom of the washer though...

It's between this and the Whirlpool equivalent, which has the removable agitator. I will NEVER buy another LG appliance again.

Always good deals on speedqueen stuff on fbmp. Just suck it up and buy those.

I've had my LG for almost 17 years now. It's had about $180 in parts, and moved from AK to NV to OK :laughing:

I keep saying I'm going to replace it, but it hasn't died yet:laughing:

that's how I feel about my 15 year old LG frontload. Maybe they are made worse now :confused:

don't think i'm up to $180 in parts, but we've had it variously apart 4 or so times and 4 moves

I just got LG washer and dryer, both front load. I looked at Speed Queen, seemed like the Speed Queen washers are small. I mentioned speed Queen to our delivery guy, he said when ever he has them on the truck for delivery, he knows he is going to an old folks home.:lmao::lmao: I would have gotten the speed Queen, but the wife said no to the small drum on the washer.

Just got the Large capacity Electrolux Front loader and Dryer a few weeks ago. I am thoroughly impressed so far.

The washer is whisper quiet, probably because it weighs a ton, and the dryer hasn't needed a repeat run on any of the oversized laundry loads ran through it.

Going on 2 weeks with new LG front loaders and are happy so far.

We bought our LG front loaders based on what was said here. Had them a few months and so far so good. I washed my jeans on the heavy duty cycle and they came out cleaner than ever. We did get them at a Lowes outlet in Greensboro

I got a Speed Queen set 3 years ago. I've already replaced the heating element and timer in the dryer. I've replaced the discharge pump 3 times in the washer. They're easy to work on, but they are not flawless. To be fair, there are 5 of us, and we average a load of laundry daily. The discharge pump may have been our fault too, overfilled tub, inhaled a kids sock.
I like how the whole front of the washer comes off with only two bolts. I am 1.5 years into my SpeedQueen; doing a couple of loads a week. No problems. :smokin:

BTW: I can throw some heavy rugs or quilts into the bitch... NO PROBLEMO! :smokin:

Last edited:
Anyone have experience with the stackable speed queens? I'm going to need to replace the shitty Amana stack in my rental very soon. I'm limited to the footprint of the stackables so it's either another big box set or I found the SQ makes a set, but they're far less commong.

If the comercial one would fit, I'd be incined to spring for it.

These are rated for 21lbs.
1701785519517.png

And these are rated for 50lbs :eek:
1701785477735.png

And this is the more homeowner version
1701785661316.png

Attachments

• 1701785500119.png
    1701785500119.png
    102.5 KB · Views: 2
I've had the Speed Queen FF7 front loader washer for 2 years.

Works great, I'm on septic too. Clothes cleaner than the Kenmore set it replaced. Clothes come out dryer so it takes less time in the dryer. Overall happy.

I use Persil liquid and never fabric softener, it messes up the humidity sensor in the dryer and I just don't like it.

Never use powdered soaps, they build up and don't dissolve. Also, the dissolving plastic from the pod soaps will help clog the septic field.

I've had this stacked LG set for 2 years and it does very well and no issues so far.

I've had this unit about the same amount of time. It replaced a set of top loader speed queens so I can compare the two directly. I bought the speed queens new but put them in a house I renovated to sell.

The benefit of the LG is they are stacked. This really helps with cabinetry and functionality of a mudroom.

The drawback of the LG is if one unit dies, you allegedly have to replace the full tower.

The speed queens cleaned better and dried over twice as fast. The LG cleans fine though and eventually get the towels and blankets dry.

I'll be buying another set of the LG so we have two washings and dryings at the same time.

Top Back Refresh