What's new

Front loader washer : LG or GE or Electrolux ?

might be old enough to be proper tanks, the dryer is certainly "the good electric one" but the washer I haven't been inside that particular one

I have nothing to add other than I'm not a fan of the fact that our LG top loader has started to rust out around the hole you load clothes in after a few years.

It still washes clothes just fine, but I have a feeling it's not going to last a long time. I refuse to grind off the rust and re-paint. It's a damn indoor appliance, it shouldn't need that type of love.

I got a Speed Queen set 3 years ago. I've already replaced the heating element and timer in the dryer. I've replaced the discharge pump 3 times in the washer. They're easy to work on, but they are not flawless. To be fair, there are 5 of us, and we average a load of laundry daily. The discharge pump may have been our fault too, overfilled tub, inhaled a kids sock.
Are you filling the washer with water, then loading clothes? Because that will overfill it every time. It's meant to fill with the clothes already in it.

No, clothes already in it. But we are also training a 6 and 8 year old to do their own laundry. I don't put that one on Speed queen, but the dryer issues are disappointing.

Samsung was the was the worst washer I have owned. Top loader probably 6-7 years old now. Left it at our old house. top loader, Stainless tub but the agitator bearings got washed out and got real loud, and the agitator itself filled with mildew and mold. I took it apart and cleaned it all out, drilled the holes out larger in the bottom. The step kids, teenagers at the time would often leave wet laundry in the washer forever. Which may of caused the mold issue. But seems to be a common issue.

Mine was full of mold in between the plastic and stainless I drilled the holes in the bottom bigger so it could be flushed out. I then started making sure a load of sheets or towels with bleach went through, and I started tub cleanign cycles with bleach monthly.

POS. My first washer and dryer was 10-15 years old when I got the house, and lasted another 10.

We've got an Elctrolux with matching dryer. Had never heard of the brand before we bought it. Can't say anything bad about it, get my clothes clean. Blankets and towels are no issue either. Most stuff comes out fairly dry when it's done.
Same here except I actually had to get an electric dryer against my will because I got them at the height of the corona appliance apocalypse.

Zero problems, no funky front loader smell (I keep the washer door cracked) and I noticed the washer worked 100% better than the top loader it replaced.

Our new-to-us house came with a crappy LG washer & an ancient gas dryer, and we ran them until the dryer shit the bed. Wanted a Speed Queen for post-apocalyptic reliability, but needed to be able to wash a King size comforter (nogo for the SQ) so we got big-ass GE front loader washer & gas dryer about 2 years ago. Great cleaning, low water use (we're on septic), they just do their jobs well w/ no drama.

Until they break, I'm a fan. Once they break, fuck GE :laughing:

Our new-to-us house came with a crappy LG washer & an ancient gas dryer, and we ran them until the dryer shit the bed. Wanted a Speed Queen for post-apocalyptic reliability, but needed to be able to wash a King size comforter (nogo for the SQ) so we got big-ass GE front loader washer & gas dryer about 2 years ago. Great cleaning, low water use (we're on septic), they just do their jobs well w/ no drama.

Until they break, I'm a fan. Once they break, fuck GE :laughing:
was that the fancy one with the microban gaskets and the air blower to keep the mildew out?

There we go:
that's what you want, forget all the other ones I posted.
it doesn't have suds saver, but that washer will go another 40 years
IMG_1841.png

old Maytag.

you got one of these ?
I've got one, my dad's got one, my mom's got one. I've put a belt on one of them and an extension spring on the suds saver valve of another one

that's 42 years of use on mom's (bought brand new), 20 on dad's since he got it, and mine's in the shed waiting for a floor in the house but was grandma's which hasn't been used in 5 years but it probably saw 25+ years of use in her hands before that

maybe I'm a bit retarded
I just like simple machines that have zero circuit boards in them.

Last edited:
was that the fancy one with the microban gaskets and the air blower to keep the mildew out?
Dunno, it's a big mofo w/ a 10-year warranty, so it probably has all the buzzwordy stuff. We leave the door cracked open when not in use so we don't have to learn about the anti-mildew features.

EDIT: pretty sure it's this unit -

GE® 5.0 cu. ft. Capacity Smart Front Load ENERGY STAR® Steam Washer with SmartDispense™ UltraFresh Vent System with OdorBlock™ and Sanitize + Allergen|^|GFW850SPNRS

. . . or whatever they were selling 2 years ago in that size.

Didn't read other replies. We have LG 1st gen front loaders. Bought new in 05'.

Just two of us now, but there was 7 in the household at one time.

I've replaced a few bits over the years, but largely problem free. And always cheap and reasonably easy to fix.

Literally popped a "LE" code today on washer. Watched a YouTube vid, opened it up, found the broken wire in harness. New harness and hall sensor will be $75.

10 minute repair.

:flipoff: Fuck water efficient washers, All of them Top or Front loading :flipoff:

Tried several of them and still prefer the 40 gallon a wash models...

Have 2 spares in back barn for parts since they don't make them any more

Replaced a 10yo LG pair with 2 pair of GE’s a year ago. On average they run 3-4 loads a day and have been flawless so far.

Whenever I talk with my sister, she talks shit about her GE front load washer. Doesn’t rinse the laundry detergent out well enough. My money is on user error, but figured it was worth mentioning.

Whenever I talk with my sister, she talks shit about her GE front load washer. Doesn’t rinse the laundry detergent out well enough. My money is on user error, but figured it was worth mentioning.
That's part of the fundamental tradeoff that ALL environmentally friendly washers make.

You got a cup of detergent in there with 15gal instead of 40. It's way more concentrated. Then you try and wash it out with another 15gal instead of 40. Of course it doesn't come out as well.

Same goes for the dirt and filth you're actually trying to get out.

Using white vinegar instead of fabric softener will fix a lot of the common problems. It helps rinse out all of the soap and the softener buildup ( your towels will absorb water again). It also takes care of the funk that grows mold and causes your clothes to sour. 25 years with a front loader, we've never once had mold in the washer.

That's part of the fundamental tradeoff that ALL environmentally friendly washers make.

You got a cup of detergent in there with 15gal instead of 40. It's way more concentrated. Then you try and wash it out with another 15gal instead of 40. Of course it doesn't come out as well.

In total agreement.

Seems most buy the hype of these new HE washers!

Dilution in more water for the win!

My LGs are around 13 years old, no issues. Parents LGs are just a bit older than mine and no issues either.

Ive been using a maytag front load washer and dryer for the past 20 years with mostly no ill effects.

I do advise the pedestal as less back strain in leaning down to unload.

Or just use a small child.

Our LG top loader has had one issue in the four years I've been using it. I don't see a purchase date for it in the house file so I'm not sure when the previous house owner got it. Last month it wouldn't start, buttons had many issues for weeks and then it was fine.

I use it constantly. Three adults with many animals in the house. I also use cloth dishtowels, napkins, placemats and handkerchiefs. 1-6 loads a day.

What you think looks like a FULL load will be overfull and the clothes won't be clean.

For high-efficiency (low water use) washers, a front loader is the only thing that works. With a top-loader, you're relying on full immersion to get decent cleaning; ergo, you need 40 gallons. My wife rarely doesn't stuff dafook outta' our washer, and our laundry goes in dirty & comes out clean. YMMV, but your sour-grapes generalization is bunk in our experience.

Yeah
I’m gonna go one way or the other
Either old school or the latest fancy gadget

Wife wants the latest fancy gadget

I could probably get her on board with an old 80s set if they looked really nice and new

Maybe get the fancy one this time and find an old set to rebuild for when the fancy ones break .

We gotta have a working washer in a couple days .

The new GE one with the new rubber that doesn’t get mold and the fan to dry out the machine seems like a good idea but just more complex

We got 16-18 years from a kitchen aid ensemble set .
Not had any breakdowns

other than it being moldy and the clothes sour if you don’t immediately move them to the dryer
You could write your name on the mold and mildew in the door gasket boot thing
My laundry room is so skinny that you can’t leave the door open

Plus the first times we did leave the door open the washer started filling up all by itself and flooded the floor

I
Assume due
The city water pressure surging and forcing water past the inlet valves .

Top Back Refresh