What's new

Front loader washer : LG or GE or Electrolux ?

roundhouse

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Washing machine broke yesterday . In half.

Something came loose on the drum and ground a groove through the plastic housing almost all the way around .
Ain’t no fixing it

It’s a 15-18 yr old kitchen aid ensemble front loader .

Probabaly need to stick with a front loader since we are on a septic system ,
I know the top loader speed Queen will last longer than any front loader , but at 50 gallons per load I’m concerned about using one with a 60 yr old septic field .
Verses the 10-12 gallons for a front loader

Edit :
If we get a top loader , I assume Speed Queen is the most basic and reliable.
Which version should I get ?

I can divert the washing machine water away from the septic system .

There’s a small store near me that sells SQ

Best buy and or Lowe’s near me has LG and GE and Electrolux ,
All the YouTube and internet research says stay away from Samsung ,

What say the eye bee bee ?

Gotta get one this week
And probably gonnna get the new matching dryer , since with my laundry room being shaped like a bent pizza slice , I gotta move the washer completely out of the room to get the dryer out .

And thanks to the YoLink water sensor for alerting me that my washing machine had literally split in half and was leaking water, and shutting off the water to the house .

If y’all don’t already have a YoLink or some kind of water sensor and shutoff system, you should definitely consider it .

Last edited:
Look at my previous posts.

Long story short - I'm having good luck with a used LG front loader non energy efficient model offgrid (hauling my water on septic). Don't get the energy efficient model, they simply don't use enough water to get your clothes clean. I know because I bought a new energy-efficient model that only lasted 5 years before the bearings failed completely.

My advice is to replace the bearings before (keyword before) they completely fail.

From what I can tell Samsung and LG are crap. I have a whirlpool that is going on 10 years.

Half of this stuff is made in the same factory, and other badges are stuck on.

Probabaly need to stick with a front loader since we are on a septic system ,
I know the top loader speed Queen will last longer than any front loader , but at 50 gallons per load I’m concerned about using one with a 60 yr old septic field .
Verses the 10-12 gallons for a front loader

What's your point? Is the tank a 55g drum?

You washing laundry four times a day?

I run a speed queen top loader on a septic. 2 kids and 3 adults. But the septic is less than 10 years old.

Look at my previous posts.

Long story short - I'm having good luck with a used LG front loader non energy efficient model offgrid (hauling my water on septic). Don't get the energy efficient model, they simply don't use enough water to get your clothes clean. I know because I bought a new energy-efficient model that only lasted 5 years before the bearings failed completely.

My advice is to replace the bearings before (keyword before) they completely fail.
I thought they were all the energy efficient model ?

We've got an Elctrolux with matching dryer. Had never heard of the brand before we bought it. Can't say anything bad about it, get my clothes clean. Blankets and towels are no issue either. Most stuff comes out fairly dry when it's done.

The dryer on the other hand has had a few issues. Had a broken igniter when it was delivered. Can probably blame that on rough handling, it's pretty fragile for what it is. Replaced the belt late last year which seemed like too soon for how much use its gotten. Have to take the front off a few times a year to clean lint out of it. Sometimes it doesn't dry all the way if you use the moisture sense setting.

These replaced a 30yr old Magic Chef set that worked just as well in my opinion. I was tired of limping the dryer along and went new. At the end I had the drum and burner on light switches because the controls had burned out.

re-route your gray water :grinpimp:
That’s doable .

I won’t be able to do it right away but I can get to it in a few weeks .

Long story but about three years ago my septic backs up and we found the effluent pipe leaving the tank that passes through the tank , was just , gone .
Like it was never there .

The drain line as are all cast iron so we figured that line just rusted to nothing .
Allowing the dirt to collapse and block the exit to the plastic field lines

The guy that came out to help suggested bypassing the first little bit of field lines since they didn’t look clean inside , so we installed what he called a “crossover “ to bypass a small section of the field line .

Wish I could find another one of whatever brand of washer we had when I was a kid .

Instead of rotating back and forth , the agitator chugged up and down . Like a toilet plunger , and man did it stir up the water .

My dad made many repairs to it over the years to keep it running , once he even stole a wheel and bearing from my skateboard to get the washer back in operation . But it finally died and couldn’t be fixed .
And my parents were both disappointed with the new agitator that just swished around instead of jumping up and down .

We run a Speed Queen top loader on septic nearly every day without any issues. Septic system is a normal passive system with a leach field and is about 20 years old. Did the same in our last house too.

Have 2 or 3 yr old LG. Energy efficient, the key to getting clothes clean is to limit load size to recommended 8lbs or less.

We run a Speed Queen top loader on septic nearly every day without any issues. Septic system is a normal passive system with a leach field and is about 20 years old. Did the same in our last house too.
Are the speed Queen dryers decent too ?

And for the SQ washer I was looking at the old design they just started making again , with the noisy transmission etc .
TC-3 I think

But I’m unclear s to which model that is .
It’s all alphabet soup
Almost like they don’t want to sell them

Last edited:
Bought a used GE 6 years ago. No telling how old it really is. Still going strong. Loaded it up 20 mins ago matter of fact.
I have an older Samsung gas dryer. It has been rock solid. No experience with the washers.

Bought a used GE 6 years ago. No telling how old it really is. Still going strong. Loaded it up 20 mins ago matter of fact.
I have an older Samsung gas dryer. It has been rock solid. No experience with the washers.
My dryer has to be electric

My 1970 house is all electric

I've got a 16 year old LG washer, been pretty good, but nearing the end of it's life (if the filter is clogged even a little, it leaks).

Torn between a Meile or a speedqueen when I replace.

ten minutes of searching and I found the absolute pinnacle of maytags for you, but near me

What about dryers ?

only recommendation I’ve seen is try to find a good used one that has the long lint screen in back right corner of the top .
But they didn’t mention any brand names

I have the LG gas dryer that is going on 10 years. The moisture setting does not work for shit anymore but I just set the time. Works great. Little squeaky but it's in the basement so I don't care.

I have an LG set that are just over 13 years old. The washer has had 2 or 3 water pumps and tub bearings once. Other than that we are completely impressed it has lasted this long.

Same here. Put some bugs in it twice a year and no problems.

I got a Speed Queen set 3 years ago. I've already replaced the heating element and timer in the dryer. I've replaced the discharge pump 3 times in the washer. They're easy to work on, but they are not flawless. To be fair, there are 5 of us, and we average a load of laundry daily. The discharge pump may have been our fault too, overfilled tub, inhaled a kids sock.

What about dryers ?

only recommendation I’ve seen is try to find a good used one that has the long lint screen in back right corner of the top .
But they didn’t mention any brand names
there's like ten brands of them but they're all the same, like how MTD made every generic two stage snow blower regardless of brand

Top Back Refresh