What's new

Front axle widths

Arickvan

PBB transfer
Member Number
Loc
Oakley CA
Alright boys lets tackle toy front axles

no bible here and no old tech to search, so fawk off and spoon feed me :flipoff2:

my question is, does the trail gear tacoma width axle add the 5in to she short shaft side only?

Heres a little something so you can tell the next guy to sirch :laughing:

55.5 wide 79-85 trucks and 4runners

58.5 wide 86-95 IFS front end

59 wide IFS front end (trail gear housing) 3 in added to short shaft side only

61.75 wide tacoma front end (trail gear housing)

trail gear makes an IFS width housing that adds 3in to the short shaft side
https://trail-gear.com/axles/trail-g...e-housing.html

RCV makes a kit for IFS housings
https://www.rcvperformance.com/ultim...-housings.html

trail gear tacoma width housing
https://trail-gear.com/catalog/produ...g/category/58/

Pretty sure mine came with a longer short shaft. It's been a long time since I built it though.

center of yoke on the third to center of top trunion bearing is about 16" on my stock housing

is that something you could check for me?

[No message]

photo15912.jpg

photo15913.jpg

photo15914.jpg

Imo, if you are spending the money, skip the ifs width and go straight to the Tacoma width housing. Everyone I've ever seen with the ifs housing is either running ifs hubs, wheel spacers, ~2" bs wheels or a combination of them.

Tacoma width front and ifs rear with the 1.5" spacers you had on the stock front is a really good width.

Also there is the Fj60/62 front

58" wide 9.5" 3rd and same outters as a mini truck. I think these are very underrated and under valued right now. The only kinda downside is matching rear is offset and c clip.

Making a hybrid ifs/9.5 rear is pretty straight forward though.

Fj/fzj80 front

63.5" wide bigger birfs and balls, stock hp8", but high steer is more of an ordeal. When you price out 6 shooters, the high steer doesn't look too bad though.

These are the perfect front for 37s no wheel spacers or stupid wheels to keep the tires from rubbing springs or links. Sharper steering than a mini truck.

Imo, if you are spending the money, skip the ifs width and go straight to the Tacoma width housing. Everyone I've ever seen with the ifs housing is either running ifs hubs, wheel spacers, ~2" bs wheels or a combination of them.

Tacoma width front and ifs rear with the 1.5" spacers you had on the stock front is a really good width.

58" wide 9.5" 3rd and same outters as a mini truck. I think these are very underrated and under valued right now. The only kinda downside is matching rear is offset and c clip.

Fj/fzj80 front

63.5" wide bigger birfs and balls, stock hp8", but high steer is more of an ordeal. When you price out 6 shooters, the high steer doesn't look too bad though.

These are the perfect front for 37s no wheel spacers or stupid wheels to keep the tires from rubbing springs or links. Sharper steering than a mini truck.

Ya but does the Tacoma housing only add width on one side?

Pretty sure mine came +2 and +3 inner shaft. It’s been 6 or 7 years since I’ve been I installed it.

I think these are very underrated and under valued right now.

Maybe 10 years ago. Ever since the overlander fags found out about FJ60/62s, all the parts went up in value.

I've been causally looking for a 60 front housing for a couple years, I'm not paying 6-800 for one. Mini truck stuff is still easier and cheaper to come across, along with 80s. I want to do the axle sleeves/widener (2.625 each) to match a 80 rear.

Last edited:
The rock assault does come with new inner shafts... can always reuse the birfs and I've rarely seen aftermarket inner shafts fail FWIW

The rock assault does come with new inner shafts... can always reuse the birfs and I've rarely seen aftermarket inner shafts fail FWIW

but muh RCV's! :laughing:

ya ive decided taco width, ill give rcv a call and see how much/quick i can get shafts for it

really i just want this thing back together quick-ish and cheap-ish, because this wasnt exactly a planned upgrade :homer:

if rcv says longer than 2 weeks then longfield it is :flipoff2:

But Tha internets says that the 30 spline inner is the weak point :homer:

but muh RCV's! :laughing:

ya ive decided taco width, ill give rcv a call and see how much/quick i can get shafts for it

really i just want this thing back together quick-ish and cheap-ish, because this wasnt exactly a planned upgrade :homer:

if rcv says longer than 2 weeks then longfield it is :flipoff2:

Best bang for you buck is sell what you have and order a new rcv set with custom inners. It's only like $200 extra, yet just ordering custom shafts is like $500+ and no one will buy stock inners by themselves.

Like mentioned, the rock assaults come with inners. You either dislike tg or you don't, you can't stick your nose up at the tg shafts while running their housing :laughing:

Like mentioned, the rock assaults come with inners. You either dislike tg or you don't, you can't stick your nose up at the tg shafts while running their housing :laughing:

:laughing: im fine with TG stuff, im not the marlene diehard type

but there are some things that i would prefer from other vendors, and i definitely dont like taking a step backwards

RCV>longfield

Anyone know the length of shaft for the Tacoma housing off hand?

Below is what longfield has for dimensions on there website, but my stock housing rcv's measure 15 1/8 and 31 5/16

I'm going to call and confirm tomorrow, but feel free to call me dumb in the mean time. :flipoff2:

Short Side
Long Side

301688-1-KIT
Longfield 30-Spline Super Set
15-7/16"
31-7/16"

301724-1-KIT
Longfield 30-Spline Super Set, +3
18-7/16"
31-7/16"

301725-1-KIT
Longfield 30-Spline Super Set, +5
19-7/16"
32-7/16"

I can measure stuff tomorrow, I just got my TG +5/Tacoma width front. It does come with new inners for both sides. I believe its basically +3" on the passenger side and +2" on the driver side but I can measure housings (my stock and the new TG) and shafts this weekend and post it up.

I can measure stuff tomorrow, I just got my TG +5/Tacoma width front. It does come with new inners for both sides. I believe its basically +3" on the passenger side and +2" on the driver side but I can measure housings (my stock and the new TG) and shafts this weekend and post it up.

Oh don't worry about it I called and checked the shafts that they supply and there listed sizes are accurate

Fj/fzj80 front

For future searching yes on the 60/62 axle. I picked mine up from a local cruiser head for $150, he then gave me the rear axle and leaf springs for free. I tossed an fj80 rear axle in the tacoma, yes its a tad wider in the back, who cares. I wouldn't even bother making a hybrid rear and go right to an fj80 rear axle and run it offset. I drive mine on the highway up to 80 and no real vibes, you do have to have evreything phased dead on and the pinion angle is pretty critical.

just as an update i went with the taco width, i reused my rcv birfs and used the inner shafts that came with the axle

ordered thru yotamaster with perches and inspection plug installed with no issues, called trail gear for an update no issues

cant remember how long it took from order to delivered but it wasnt bad

gold sprinkles for added bling:laughing:

50643061547_db101e32cf_k.jpg
[/url]2020-11-24_03-12-50r[/IMG]

i did add a little extra perch to the leaf spring perch

i run my axle pushed 2-3" forward than stock and just wanted a bit more perch on the backside

so i cut the old ruffstuff perches off the stock axle, cut one in half and then notched and welded

now ive got equal amounts of perch on either side of the center pin on the leaf spring

feel free to report me to the ghetto hack thread :flipoff2:

50643063682_c88a799332_k.jpg 2020-11-24_03-13-34

I went Tacoma (+5) on mine as well. Added FROR keyed arms w/ 25mm bearings and all new ARP knuckle and hub studs at the same time. I think it took a week to show up in the mail from Yotamasters.

photo33159.jpg

pickup SA is 56.25". Toyota advertised as "track width" originally at 55.5, which includes wheels, the axle is slightly wider

IFS is 58, unless is a v6 4runner, then its 58.5". Barely matters for this discussion, but occasionally comes into play when a v6 stock shaft is stuffed in a 4cyl housing, and wont seat.

taco 60"

03+ 4runner/fjc/gx470 64.5"
05+ taco 65.5"

fj80 63.5" front and rear

Diamonds, any width

Top Back Refresh