What's new

Front axle stretch...

HRDROKN

Member Number
Can I move the steering box forward to make room for a front stretch?

YJ on a 3 link coilovers... hydro assist.

Is 4" possible?

Motobilt front gave me the needed room.....

IMG-0517.jpg

Front stitched in and now cutting out stock crossmember...

IMG-0537.jpg

IMG-0539.jpg

tnt makes a front steering box mount. Not sure how much stretch you could get.

tnt makes a front steering box mount. Not sure how much stretch you could get.
Ya, I was looking at that. Watched a few you tubes, looked to be extremely flat profile.... but couldn't tell what the net stretch was offered. And TNT price is ridiculous... just saying.

So this is what I'm looking at..... swapping a D60 in place of a HP44, need to clear at least 2 inches to put drive shaft at +/-0 . This is stock mount bracket look...

IMG-0550.jpg

Cut the front Motobilt bumper and looks like that is pretty close to 4 inches... thinking pulling back a little and rotating about 10-15 degrees...

IMG-0583.jpg

Although it's not a YJ, here's couple pics of how I mounted the box on my 6" TJ front stretch that may give you a few ideas. I am using a Saginaw steering box from a 90's-2000's Chevy half ton truck. It has the same spline size as a TJ/YJ on the output, but a wider/larger bolt pattern so you can span the frame rails. The front frame horns and steering box mounting plates were from Brave Motorsports, but you could probably do something similar.

I've attached a couple pics, you can find more details on the old place if you search in the non-hard core section under "Project Safer Hobby".

20160626_165748.jpg

Attachments

• 20161221_192458.jpg
    20161221_192458.jpg
    998.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 20161009_102927.jpg
    20161009_102927.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 13
  • 20190924_194357 (1).jpg
    20190924_194357 (1).jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 13
Although it's not a YJ, here's couple pics of how I mounted the box on my 6" TJ front stretch that may give you a few ideas. I am using a Saginaw steering box from a 90's-2000's Chevy half ton truck. It has the same spline size as a TJ/YJ on the output, but a wider/larger bolt pattern so you can span the frame rails. The front frame horns and steering box mounting plates were from Brave Motorsports, but you could probably do something similar.

I've attached a couple pics, you can find more details on the old place if you search in the non-hard core section under "Project Safer Hobby".

That turned out nice!

Well crap.... played with this all morning :lmao:

I see some advantages to running flat and some issues it creates with running my track bar and drag link parallel... I can't drop the frame side track bar mount without interference in bump travel. Likewise I can't raise the axle side either :shaking: So this looks like a compromise.... On the plus side... all hydraulic lines still fit without grill mods and winch plate won't need to be modified.

And yes, I plugged the crossmember hole...

IMG-0591.jpg

IMG-0590.jpg

IMG-0593.jpg

IMG-0596.jpg

Looks like you are well on your way. I know I spent a LOT of time trying to work out the details of the angle of the steering box and how everything worked together (drag link, pitman arm, tie rod, 3rd link, etc.) as the suspension cycled and steering turned.

One of the lessons learned for me, and one thing I would be more aware of going forward, was location of the axle forward/aft in relationship to the forward/aft position of the steering box. On mine, I think I pushed the axle a little too far forward. The result was that as the suspension went to full bump the drag link/pitman arm was running into the tie rod before the coil over bottomed out. This required me to use a raised (instead of a drop) pitman arm to get the clearance so that the axle had enough up travel such that the limiting factor was close contact to the frame and not the steering parts. The downside to this was that now my drag link was now at a little more of an angle. Ideally, you want the drag link & third link to be as flat as possible at ride height.

If I would have pulled the axle back an inch or so, and/or pushed the box forward a bit, then the drag link would have been slightly ahead of the tie rod and could pass in front of the tie rod as the suspension compressed. At that point I could have notched the frame on the passenger side and gained more up travel. At the end of the day, I managed to get the interference points between the axle/frame, link/frame, tie rod/frame, tie rod/drag link, and shock travel all to essentially converge at one point, but it took a LOT of work to get there. This was my first time doing it, and it was definitely a learning experience.

Exactly what giles45shop has stated above.... definitely not a one size fits all swap!

:smokin:

Tires on for the third time..... :shaking: Happy with the approach angle for sure! But only 30 degrees of steering angle. I'm going to have to look at the steering ratio as it's below 1:1....

IMG-0605.jpg

IMG-0607.jpg

Almost done.... kinda don't like where the ram is at this point. Going to try a diff mount and see if the angles are better.

IMG-0613.jpg

Make a tab off the track bar bracket to bring the ram out further.

47539463-D51E-4830-85D3-0A9CD2C7B1D0.jpeg

Looks like you have plenty of draglink clearance to run it like that. I’ve never been a fan of cover mounted rams. Just personal preference.

Make a tab off the track bar bracket to bring the ram out further.

47539463-D51E-4830-85D3-0A9CD2C7B1D0.jpeg

Looks like you have plenty of draglink clearance to run it like that. I’ve never been a fan of cover mounted rams. Just personal preference.
That's a good idea.....

It is definitely a packaging challenge to get everything to fit, my axle side track bar mount is doing triple duty as a mounting point for track bar, ram and sway bar. I am also not a fan of diff cover ram mounts. I looked at using a clamp type tie rod mount, but it basically poked back too far to keep from hitting the diff cover or had excessive angularity when mounted pointing up like yours.

I ended up using a welded double-shear mount on the backside of the tie rod. It does make adjusting toe a little more challenging, but keeps everything as parallel as possible to keep tie rod roll minimized.

Here's a few pics for ideas

Attachments

• 20230526_164353.jpg
    20230526_164353.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 7
  • 20230526_164028.jpg
    20230526_164028.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 7
  • 20230526_163958.jpg
    20230526_163958.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 8
Ok.... done. Waiting for paint to dry :shaking: I'll get started on the hydraulic lines.

IMG-0621.jpg

:beer:

Top Back Refresh