What's new

Front axle for a 2 ton bus? KP60 too light?

I know it's already been stated that it will probably be fine, but thought I'd throw in another theory.

Think about how laden with weight the typical full-size rig is on the trail if you are going on an extended back country trip. I'm sure there's many a CCLB 1 ton that weighs over 10,000# that goes off road without breaking the front axle. Maybe I missed where you mentioned expected weight, but surely this thing is under that.

I know it's already been stated that it will probably be fine, but thought I'd throw in another theory.

Think about how laden with weight the typical full-size rig is on the trail if you are going on an extended back country trip. I'm sure there's many a CCLB 1 ton that weighs over 10,000# that goes off road without breaking the front axle. Maybe I missed where you mentioned expected weight, but surely this thing is under that.

I'm aiming to keep the original GVWR that's just north of 14,000, but yeah, it isn't going to be near that heavy in reality.

Did some measurements yesterday and it comes in at 3,370lbs for the front, 4,050lbs for the rear as it sits currently.
With a DT360 (730lbs over the SBC 283) T-136-27 (450lbs) and FS6406A (230lbs over the SM420) that adds 1550lbs. Basically, 4,800lbs over the front axle. Interior will probably weigh no more than 3,000lbs - going to roughly be 2/3 towards the rear - so 6,050 over the rear, 5,800lbs over the front.

In reality you could probably shave 200lbs off the transfer case weight on the rear, since that thing will be closer to halfway between each axle. Would also save 250lbs if I opt for a 6BT over a DT360.

Those Aussia OKA trucks that had a KP60 up front, were rated at 6,170lbs, and it seems the most common issues were bending inner C's or axle tubes after MANY miles. So, I think I should be fine if I truss/reinforce that stuff...

i have a gm d60 under this 8-9k-lb(depends what i got in it) truck and ive jumped it(small 1ft jumps) a dozen times, axle is fine. that front bumper is all 1/4" wall with an 18k winch on it, lumber rack is all 3/16" and it has a 6bt in it

unless youre gonna beat the shit out of it offroad that gm d60 will be plenty

20180430_110350.jpg

I'm aiming to keep the original GVWR that's just north of 14,000, but yeah, it isn't going to be near that heavy in reality.

Did some measurements yesterday and it comes in at 3,370lbs for the front, 4,050lbs for the rear as it sits currently.
With a DT360 (730lbs over the SBC 283) T-136-27 (450lbs) and FS6406A (230lbs over the SM420) that adds 1550lbs. Basically, 4,800lbs over the front axle. Interior will probably weigh no more than 3,000lbs - going to roughly be 2/3 towards the rear - so 6,050 over the rear, 5,800lbs over the front.

In reality you could probably shave 200lbs off the transfer case weight on the rear, since that thing will be closer to halfway between each axle. Would also save 250lbs if I opt for a 6BT over a DT360.

Those Aussia OKA trucks that had a KP60 up front, were rated at 6,170lbs, and it seems the most common issues were bending inner C's or axle tubes after MANY miles. So, I think I should be fine if I truss/reinforce that stuff...

Any wieght that isn't directly over the front will be shared between axles. Then obviously anything added behind the rear will cantilever off the front.

I'd be very surprised if you ended up with 5800 lbs on the front axle. That's more than our F550 work trucks and more than 06h3 has on his F550 with a 1 ton H3 hummer on the back. :laughing:

even at my heaviest I have never had over 5800 lbs on the front axle. You’d really have to put some shit up there to hit that lol

not one has asked for a full build thread yet? :confused:
Done. :dustin:

i have a gm d60 under this 8-9k-lb(depends what i got in it) truck and ive jumped it(small 1ft jumps) a dozen times, axle is fine. that front bumper is all 1/4" wall with an 18k winch on it, lumber rack is all 3/16" and it has a 6bt in it

unless youre gonna beat the shit out of it offroad that gm d60 will be plenty
you got picks of any of your jumps? or video

you got picks of any of your jumps? or video
no i sure dont but the look on my passengers faces when i did it is gold, they dont expect a big ass truck like that to get jumped :laughing:

the last property i lived on had a 2k ft long dirt road to the back of the property where the house was and one of the culverts that went across the road couldnt be buried deep enough due to boulders so it made a nice little hump in the driveway right where the road started going down hill so it made the perfect small smooth jump :laughing: :grinpimp:

Top Back Refresh