What's new

Fridge ice maker question.

Yota Up

Granite Guru
Member Number
I think mine might be toast. Am I right to assume the plastic teeth(rake) that pushes the ice out is always turning slowly? Or does it sit still and only turn to push the ice out after somehow sensing or timing that the ice is ready to be pushed out and into the bucket?

It's a Frigidaire, about 5-6 years old. Thanks.

Provience

Kill!
Member Number
Loc
Gatesville, TX
i've just removed all that crap from my last 2 freezes. even without automated ice, still manage to have enough whenever i need it :rasta:

#humblebrag #notrelated #okayboomer #threadderail :flipoff2:

Yota Up

Granite Guru
Member Number
Timmer motor triggers the "go switch" then it rakes them out then opens the h2o flow then goes to off, along with the full bail action...

Got it. Thank you. In that case, maybe it's the timmer trigger that's bad. Because the rake is sitting still and the bar won't come down until the rake moves. Rake won't move because, well, I guess because trigger is not hitting the switch to advance it. Sounds like something I won't be able to hack into and replace just that part, so I'll need to order an entire new assembly.

Good for you to be free of that crap, Provience. I would also, but the wife and kids get a vote and I'm outnumbered, and sooner or later I have to sleep, too.

KarlVP

Not Sure
Member Number
Loc
Crusty's Brewing, Wa
Sometimes on my whirlpool if you don't use a lot of ice, The teeth on the "rake" get frozen into the trays and won't pop the cubes out. I have taken my ice maker apart and reassembled twice with good results.

Paragon

Member #42 if by Bus
Member Number
Loc
Jackson, MS USA
they are simple and sometimes it easy just to replace the icemaker altogether rather than track down the individual part that's bad.

You can always buy a countertop Opal icemaker for Sonic-style ice

Zoomie

Member Number
I just did mine - almost all the brands have the same basic design on the icemaker.

I was able to diagnose mine down to a dead motor (that turns the rakes). Me turning the rakes by hand a couple of times had also effed up a nylon gear a little. NBD, just find the motor and gear online at a parts house, right? Found plenty of sources, but with the motor and gear plus shipping I was within $5-10 of a brand new complete unit with DOA warranty from an eBay seller with free shipping.

Crawl Away

SyrupSucker Land Refugee
Member Number
Loc
DFW
I am dealing with ice maker issues too. I ordered a whole new unit for $70 and it should arrive tomorrow.

DozerDan82

Master of the Universe!!!
Member Number
Loc
3rd Rock From the Big Ball of Fire
i've just removed all that crap from my last 2 freezes. even without automated ice, still manage to have enough whenever i need it ::
The one in my garage fridge quit working a few years ago, I bought some parts for it, it worked for a bit then quit again. I ripped it all out, plenty of room for ice trays now.

Mudslinger99

Ol' School member
Member Number
Loc
Here
When mine quit a few years ago, it was easier and cheaper to just swap out the unit.