What's new

Fort Worth, TX to Greenwood, CA (Northern CA), In A Motorhome

Confused..

“We” are doing a trip, but

“I” am the only driver
My wife can barely see over the steering wheel on our Jeep Patriot. She isn’t going to drive a 28’ motor home! Our 19 year old son can’t sit for very long. That leaves me.

When y'all rolling threw Flagstaff area. If y'all need to stop hit me up. hopefully I tag out this weekend on my deer hunt or will be out in the woods.

No idea about this time of year, but it was windy as fuck last January heading from DFW to NM. I got 15 mpg on my way to NM, and 21 on the way back in my 4runner, which is only slightly more aerodynamic than a motor home.

No idea about this time of year, but it was windy as fuck last January heading from DFW to NM. I got 15 mpg on my way to NM, and 21 on the way back in my 4runner, which is only slightly more aerodynamic than a motor home.

I average 6 :flipoff2:

in a 28ft RV at rest stops I would park it in the car parking area, just parallel it to the curd taking 3 or 4 car spots.

If its not a pleasure trip then just pound out the miles. Get a good nights sleep and go 18+ hours the first day, crash in the back till whenever you wake up and finish the trip
Dude that really depends on how old the OP is.

When I was your age, that is how I would have done it as well, I've driven over 24 hours straight a few times without much issues.

Now, 6-8 hours and I am done as it becomes unsafe.

Aging is a motherfucker

Gat an app called RV Parky. It shows Walmart's and has reviews telling if they allow overnight parking. If you sleep during the day without opening slides no one will run you out at Walmart. Try to use superWalmarts, they have lots larger parking lots.

Campendium.com is pretty good. Shows campgrounds, rv parks, parking lots, and dump stations.

I recently drove my rv and small trailer from Edwards Co to OKC in one day. Including fuel stops, that was about 15 hours. It can be done, but I couldn’t do two of those days back to back. So I’m not man enough for the “that’s a two day trip!” people.

And as always, you have to budget much longer for the drive itself. Seems like for me it’s roughly google drive time multiplied by 1.2 or so.

Edit—oh, and I-70 in CO is terrible. Ignore anyone that says otherwise. :flipoff2:

Last edited:
My wife can barely see over the steering wheel on our Jeep Patriot. She isn’t going to drive a 28’ motor home! Our 19 year old son can’t sit for very long. That leaves me.
So you're burning up the airline miles/cash for them to come on a horrible not for pleasure journey in this RV. Got it. Hope ya have a bit of fun along the way. Me? I'd buy a single seat ticket to DFW, then burn the miles coming home solo.

No, the first I had ever heard of one was when it was announced here a few weeks ago.

The Indian Tribe is building it.

Best things about Buccees:

-VERY clean restroom (and plenty of them)
-20lb bags of ice for 99 cents
-Typically has the cheapest deer corn
-Has decent food, so you can consolidate several needs into 1 stop.

Campendium.com
RVParkyc.om
TheDyrt.com
Freecampsites.net

For overnights I just use rest stops and visitors areas or check for Cabela's/bass Pro and see if they still allow overnighters

Plenty of podcasts too listen too.

Start early as you can. Driving long hours in the daylight is much easier than at night.

Top Back Refresh