What's new

forgot power cord.. what would you do?

I like the sound of the brook..
So you say you're trolling . . . considering all the stupid shit you've done and said, is it really that much of an accomplishment to convince this crowd that you've considered doing an ass-headed thing?

Like, seriously - that's your big "win" of the day? :homer:

OK, you get a fookin' medal :cookie:

. . . and a hug, just like all your fellow Olympians :flipoff2:

actually I was born in Corpus Christi..

oh and I could find a thread about "eating rotten meat to get high"... is there one?

I heard about it on the radio in S.A. so I just looked it up.. its a real thing.. all over media outlets..
That doesnt make it real.

I wouldn't do anything except say "Hm, that sucks. Oh well." I can live without it.

Edit: I’d have bought the cord and kept it, or tried the ‘ask the front desk’ thing. Having a spare cored comes in handy. Leave one in the case, or buy a case for your laptop while you’re buying a cord so you keep things together.
Or hit the local thrift store, around here they are $2-10 (depending on how greedy they are feeling).
I have a cord that lives in my laptop case and one that lives at the desk. Don't have to try and fish it out from behind the desk that way.

Aaron Z

so like this past time that I went to Laredo.. I forgot to grab my laptops power cord when I packed..

I considered going to Best Buy, and just buying one, and then returning it a week later.. depending on the cost.. but I did not do that..

what would you have done?
I would say fuck it and throw away the laptop.

The return policy doesn’t care if you’re prepared or not and is the loophole people would want closed. All sales final.
eh, i've certainly used return policies as a "hey, if i buy this and it isn't for me, can i return it if it has been opened?" sometimes they say yes, sometimes no depending on the thing. even electronics and especially best buy, their stellar return policy is half the reason i shop there

cords are cheap enough to just keep though

actually I was born in Corpus Christi..

oh and I could find a thread about "eating rotten meat to get high"... is there one?

I heard about it on the radio in S.A. so I just looked it up.. its a real thing.. all over media outlets..
So Valley meets trailer trash. Close enough.

Who still has a laptop that can't charge from USB C? Geeze, get with the times. Then you have a couple bricks that can do anything, phone, laptop, tablet.

Funny, i walk into my closet and throw some random shit that i might need in a bag and leave without much thought at all and make due with whatever i happen to have.
This is what I used to do. Now I have a checklist.

OP, look at your laptop requirements and hit a goodwill or thrift store. They usually have them for a few bucks.

What kind of person returns a cord they used?

who does that??

:confused:
Stuff like that happens daily. Your head is in the sand if you don’t think people do that with items. I’d be uncomfortable with it and would just keep the spare cord in my travel bag.

I just bought a new one for my laptop, plug in got too loose. It was $24 CDN

I forgot my laptop cord a couple weeks ago...i needed it to work while on the road. Without question, without starting a dumb ass thread, i went and bought a universal cord... it can charge literally anything. It cost a fair bit, about 35. It was worth it, now it goes in the laptop bag, and the og cord stays on the computer desk. Seems simple, but for a simpleton it might be difficult.

Reactions: DMG
Who still has a laptop that can't charge from USB C? Geeze, get with the times. Then you have a couple bricks that can do anything, phone, laptop, tablet.
I recently brought my top of the line (in 2006) laptop with me and boy howdy it wouldn't even connect to the hotel's wifi
well it would work, but there was some html5 login screen that it wouldn't let me do anything with
took it to a repair shop and gave the guy at the counter 20 bucks to let me plug in an ethernet cable to try and update firefox to something that'd support html5, but mozilla didn't have any versions that would work on XP or some shit
turns out XP is finally dead for consumer use

I recently brought my top of the line (in 2006) laptop with me and boy howdy it wouldn't even connect to the hotel's wifi
well it would work, but there was some html5 login screen that it wouldn't let me do anything with
took it to a repair shop and gave the guy at the counter 20 bucks to let me plug in an ethernet cable to try and update firefox to something that'd support html5, but mozilla didn't have any versions that would work on XP or some shit
I've had very good luck installing peppermint Linux on shitty old PCs. It's well packaged enough for most anyone to use and light enough to run well on almost any hardware. Also haven't really had any driver issues

I've had very good luck installing peppermint Linux on shitty old PCs. It's well packaged enough for most anyone to use and light enough to run well on almost any hardware. Also haven't really had any driver issues
I've been running mint for years now, it's why I didn't know that XP wouldn't work.
Hell, I have this computer set up to dual boot with 7 for the videogames, but haven't even ran it in at least 3 years
That one was just xp-only because I use it for ECU remapping

Last edited:
I've been running mint for years now, it's why I didn't know that XP wouldn't work.
Hell, I have this computer set up to dual boot with 7 for the videogames, but haven't even ran it in at least 3 years
That one was just xp-only because I use it for ECU remapping
Make it a virtual machine that runs inside another operating system (ie: Windows 10 or some variant of Linux).
That way you arent up the proverbial creek without a paddle if you lose an important piece of hardware in the laptop.
If its an older dos based program, you may just be able to run it in DosBox. We do that with older dos based PLC programming software at work and it works really well.

Aaron Z

A guy at work wanted some help with his resume. I told him I could help format it and make it look good. Asked him to bring me a paper copy of it, and also an electronic copy if possible (this was the age of burnt CDs)

Next day he said he left a paper copy and a disc in his truck in the parking lot. I went and got the stuff from his truck. Paper copy and a floppy disc. I fucking laughed. I`m no computer guy but I told him the computer before my last computer didn`t even have a floppy drive.

486, you`re that guy.

Top Back Refresh