What's new

Ford Steering Box Differences 2wd vs 4wd ?

Provience

Kill!
Member Number
Loc
Gatesville, TX
1978 F250 2WD power steering box

I'm trying to drop my steering/drag link at least 3" from where it is stock, can I just buy a 4" drop pitman arm for a 4wd application of the same year?

Is there really not a difference between them as far as splines and rod ends are concerned? Does it actually span 40 years?

Buy one and return it if it doesn't fit. I assume you've already looked at pics on Rockauto, they sure look like the same damn box with slightly different castings.

If you were working on 80+ shit you wouldn't have to ask this question. :flipoff2:

Buy one and return it if it doesn't fit. I assume you've already looked at pics on Rockauto, they sure look like the same damn box with slightly different castings.

If you were working on 80+ shit you wouldn't have to ask this question. :flipoff2:
:laughing:

yeah, i called 4wp and they didn't know, but they do offer free returns, so there's that :homer:

after looking at a bunch of pictures, apparently the difference is 4wd is in front of axle and 2wd is behind the axle :rasta:

then i changed the oil on the 1993 E350 and saw that it is 2wd with the steering in front of the axle....I stopped myself before going to far in thinking about swapping knuckles to make the pickup 2wd in front of the axle, even though it looks like the same setup

I bet the arm will fit if you triangle file out the fat spline that keeps you from putting it on in an incorrect orientation.

I am using this on my 79 Ford F150 steering box.

174161385_120777360042299_3526614498490416722_n.jpg

Top Back Refresh