What's new

Ford release 7.3 gas as crate motor

Just read a gas mileage review with one in an F-250.
Empty: 14.9MPG

Towing 12,500lbs: 8.4MPG

https://news.pickuptrucks.com/2020/0...00-pounds.html

Just read the article. I'm amazed at how little automotive journalists know about trucks, and how eager they are to display their ignorance.

Paraphrasing--

"we were always within 3 mph of cruise control, which shows how much torque this engine has" No, no, no. Maintaining speed with a large load on a hill is always a measure of horsepower, assuming you allow the transmission to shift.

"if only it had an exhaust brake, I wouldn't have to use the brake on descents" Gas engines have extremely good engine braking in these kind of weight ranges. You just have to use the flipping transmission. You don't need an exhaust brake when you have the right rear end and 10 ratios to pick from--7.3 liters at a vacuum manifold pressure and high rpm will stop a heck of a load.

Just read the article. I'm amazed at how little automotive journalists know about trucks, and how eager they are to display their ignorance.

Paraphrasing--

"we were always within 3 mph of cruise control, which shows how much torque this engine has" No, no, no. Maintaining speed with a large load on a hill is always a measure of horsepower, assuming you allow the transmission to shift.

"if only it had an exhaust brake, I wouldn't have to use the brake on descents" Gas engines have extremely good engine braking in these kind of weight ranges. You just have to use the flipping transmission. You don't need an exhaust brake when you have the right rear end and 10 ratios to pick from--7.3 liters at a vacuum manifold pressure and high rpm will stop a heck of a load.

I have the same issue with TFL. They do a lot of interesting tests and comparisons, but they are all a bunch of idiots who have no idea what they are talking about most of the time.

I figured Ford would offer the 7.3L as a crate engine, they would be silly not to. It would be really nice though if they would make an aluminum block version so it would make a better hot rod engine. I am still curious what this thing weighs in at and what the bore spacing is.

Paraphrasing--
"we were always within 3 mph of cruise control, which shows how much torque this engine has"
No, no, no. Maintaining speed with a large load on a hill is always a measure of horsepower, assuming you allow the transmission to shift.

"if only it had an exhaust brake, I wouldn't have to use the brake on descents"
Gas engines have extremely good engine braking in these kind of weight ranges. You just have to use the flipping transmission. You don't need an exhaust brake when you have the right rear end and 10 ratios to pick from--7.3 liters at a vacuum manifold pressure and high rpm will stop a heck of a load.

/
Ah; good points indeed.

Here is the link to the Ford Performance parts site for the crate motor

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6007-73

I chatted with a guy briefly from there. I inquired about the control package for the motor, which is currently not available. He said sometime this winter that will be released, which should mirror the coyote control pack kit. This blurb below is from that kit.

"Kit Includes. The Ford Racing "Coyote" Engine Control Pack includes a PCM with Ford Racing calibration, Electronic Throttle Control accelerator pedal, a unique downsized power distribution module, Air box with inlet tube, MAF sensor with bolts, and EGO sensors. Includes needed wiring to hook up a Ford Performance Speedometer Recalibration Tool (M-4209ADPT-AC)"

Here is the link to the Ford Performance parts site for the crate motor

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6007-73

I chatted with a guy briefly from there. I inquired about the control package for the motor, which is currently not available. He said sometime this winter that will be released, which should mirror the coyote control pack kit. This blurb below is from that kit.

"Kit Includes. The Ford Racing "Coyote" Engine Control Pack includes a PCM with Ford Racing calibration, Electronic Throttle Control accelerator pedal, a unique downsized power distribution module, Air box with inlet tube, MAF sensor with bolts, and EGO sensors. Includes needed wiring to hook up a Ford Performance Speedometer Recalibration Tool (M-4209ADPT-AC)"
nOOB observation:
Between this new 7.3 crate motor and a 460 crate motor; it appears the 460 crate motor would be more K.I.S.S.

The only thing electronic on the 460 would be the fuel injection system.

And with said 460; I'd use a non-electronic auto tranny.

Does this sound about right?

nOOB observation:
Between this new 7.3 crate motor and a 460 crate motor; it appears the 460 crate motor would be more K.I.S.S.

The only thing electronic on the 460 would be the fuel injection system.

And with said 460; I'd use a non-electronic auto tranny.

Does this sound about right?

These new crate motors and control setups are pretty simple. It usually a plug and play setup. I think the benefits of this motor would be well worth running it over a standard 460.

Looking at this new motor through the interwebs, This thing has the potential to see SBE power increases similar to what has happened with the LS stuff. Fords main problem is going to be volume on these. The LS is so popular based on availability and support.

Given simplicity and similarity to LS architecture, the existing LS based stand alone FI systems would be easy to adapt to this engine.

The motor sans electronics is $8k. Not a bad price compared to a 460 build to similar specs. After trans and everything to run it, cost may be around $12k or more. Then upgrades; cam, headers, intake, bigger injectors, stroker kit, blower, fuel system and so on to make it a beast.

When they are plentiful in junk yards, I'd love to build one for a project.

These new crate motors and control setups are pretty simple. It usually a plug and play setup. I think the benefits of this motor would be well worth running it over a standard 460.

Looking at this new motor through the interwebs, This thing has the potential to see SBE power increases similar to what has happened with the LS stuff. Fords main problem is going to be volume on these. The LS is so popular based on availability and support.

Unless they put it in everything for 15-20 years like GM did with the 4.8/5.3/6.0 the 7.3 is not going to be the new LS that the internet thinks it is. It's going to be just as expensive if not more than doing a Coyote that already does the big HP on stock parts thing and it only weighs 440-450 pounds, also has the added bonus of having enough cylinder head to rev past 6500. I think the 7.3 is a good truck engine but I don't see the appeal of the swap myself. If you want a big inch Ford there's a giant aftermarket for the 385 series already.

Last edited:
I've yet to find out, did it keep the modular bell pattern? Would love one with a ZF6 behind it in a truck.

Agreed that the electronics will soon be sorted out by the aftermarket. It'll be used for novelty builds, but itll be quite a few years before joe blow is attempting this in his garage. Just for reference, the cummins 2.8L is about the same price and I've only seen a handful of private ventures. Yeah its apples to oranges application, but a small diesel is still a popular swap like "LS" everything

But when the fleets buy a metric shit ton of these instead of diesels they should be plentiful in the scrap yards.
Besides $8500 doesn't seem too bad at the moment. Would make a cheap 2005+ 5.4 truck into a workhorse.

I've yet to find out, did it keep the modular bell pattern? Would love one with a ZF6 behind it in a truck.

Agreed that the electronics will soon be sorted out by the aftermarket. It'll be used for novelty builds, but itll be quite a few years before joe blow is attempting this in his garage. Just for reference, the cummins 2.8L is about the same price and I've only seen a handful of private ventures. Yeah its apples to oranges application, but a small diesel is still a popular swap like "LS" everything

From what I recall it uses a modular bell housing pattern, so all the Ford trannies from the last 20+ years should work with it. I agree that it would be pretty awesome with a ZF S6-650/750. I know a lot of guys have been swapping in 6R80s with the 5.0L and the consensus seems to be that it is a pretty kick ass tranny and there are stand alone controllers out there for it.

But when the fleets buy a metric shit ton of these instead of diesels they should be plentiful in the scrap yards.
Besides $8500 doesn't seem too bad at the moment. Would make a cheap 2005+ 5.4 truck into a workhorse.

I think the only way you'll see fleets buying 7.3s on a large scale is if the 6.2 goes away.

does the 6.2 come standard in 350-up c&c trucks or the 7.3? what about 450-up?

I think the only way you'll see fleets buying 7.3s on a large scale is if the 6.2 goes away.

This. Unless spec'd per team/department, your typical buyer for fleets is a fucking moron. Theyll just pick the cheapest option instead of the best option.

This. Unless spec'd per team/department, your typical buyer for fleets is a fucking moron. Theyll just pick the cheapest option instead of the best option.

This is the absolute truth! Its especially prevalent in the gas & oil industries.

With 7.3 liters it's probably closer to a line than a curve.

Yeah; would really love this kind of torque curve/line:

12499121-dyno.jpg

The 7.3 has the same bell housing bolt pattern as the Coyote 5.0.

Which means the 6R80/10R80 would bolt right up.

Which also means an Atlas T-case will bolt right up to said 6R80/10R80 (with Advance Adapter's adapter).

I are very happy. :smokin:

Yeah; would really love this kind of torque curve/line:

Lol. A bone stock Ford 300 matches it at the bottom of the graph and probably out torques it below 2700. Shows you what a long stroke will do.

Lol. A bone stock Ford 300 matches it at the bottom of the graph and probably out torques it below 2700. Shows you what a long stroke will do.

What the fuck are you talking about? Please show me a 300 putting out well over 500 FtLbs at 2,700RPM :shaking: Hell, I would love to see a naturally aspirated 300 making 500 FtLbs at any RPM :laughing:

I have had a 300 before. They will run forever, but they aren't torque or power monsters by any stretch. Sure, it has decent bottom end grunt for an engine with only 300 CI, but it is nothing to marvel at.

Top Back Refresh