What's new

Ford release 7.3 gas as crate motor

Thanks for the link.

That graph looks more like a drag race engine curve than an 'RV' torque curve.

I'd like peak torque to be at 3,500RPMs.

Here are some chassis dyno curves to give you a better idea of the curves. 93 tune is essentially @ 400ftlbs from 2500rpm pretty impressive numbers.

untitled.png

What the fuck are you talking about? Please show me a 300 putting out well over 500 FtLbs at 2,700RPM :shaking: Hell, I would love to see a naturally aspirated 300 making 500 FtLbs at any RPM :laughing:

I have had a 300 before. They will run forever, but they aren't torque or power monsters by any stretch. Sure, it has decent bottom end grunt for an engine with only 300 CI, but it is nothing to marvel at.

I was looking at the HP curve, lol.

But when the fleets buy a metric shit ton of these instead of diesels they should be plentiful in the scrap yards.
Besides $8500 doesn't seem too bad at the moment. Would make a cheap 2005+ 5.4 truck into a workhorse.

Could this be used to replace busted 6.4/6.0 diesel trucks??

If the 7.3 crate engine is managed through the control pack, do you retain the existing PCM to control the transmission functions or go to a stand alone transmission controller? What about CAN bus control modules? I guess it's more of a general question directed toward "modern" engine swaps.

I hope the control pack can also do the 10 spd trans. I want to use both in my 71 f350.

From what I recall it uses a modular bell housing pattern, so all the Ford trannies from the last 20+ years should work with it. I agree that it would be pretty awesome with a ZF S6-650/750. I know a lot of guys have been swapping in 6R80s with the 5.0L and the consensus seems to be that it is a pretty kick ass tranny and there are stand alone controllers out there for it.

So, that answers my 1st question. My 2nd question is how do the engine mounts compare to the Mod engines? I'd really like to enhance my Excursion by replacing the tired boat anchor 6.8 with this...it'll sound a whole lot better too.

Also, how hard would it be to integrate it into the 20 year old truck's electronics (OBD II port, dash gauges, etc)....

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh