What's new

Ford distributor recurve

ANGELO

Red Numb Skull
Member Number
Loc
BRADENTON FL
Im building a 460 for my 78 bronco. My heads are being ported by ppam and thats where im getting my cam. I asked him about a recurving kit a couple times, but the only thing has has said is he can do it. So is there a kit to recurve it? what do i need.
I read this and it seems easy enough

You just need the springs and different weights, but when I looked into a while back, no one had off the shelf kits specifically for Duraspark systems. People were going to junkyards and getting the different weights off different applications. Typically trucks had less advance than smaller/lighter applications. However, if you want more centrifugal advance, you can just slot out the weights you have now some more, but you need to do it iteratively so you don't over do it. It is a lot harder to add material back :homer:

Are you planning on messing with the vacuum advance too, or just the mechanical? If your distributor doesn't have the adjustable advance diaphragm, you may need to get one.

The "kit" is just springs, you can get em from Summit. Tuning this is real labor intensive unless you have a distributor machine (like Scott at PPAM).

Last edited:
You'll need a good timing light to test each spring curve. btdt, i'll go crank trigger and cop next time.

Use the spring kit above and swap the distributor to the smaller mechanical advance curve like the said instructions.

You want to have most of your advance come in around 2000 RPM. Generally your engine is going to have a lot more initial torque with a base timing of ~15° BTDC with a total mechanical advance of 31-34° BTDC. Large overlap camshafts respond well to high initial timing.

Is your current distributor in decent shape? If not consider just buying a new one from Scotty. Lots of cheap units out there, he knows what is decent or not.
He will tell you the curve you need if you ask. Guessing 16* init, 36* all in by 3k. So 20* mech advance. Use the vac advance.

His port and cam package will make your bronco a beast!

Is your current distributor in decent shape? If not consider just buying a new one from Scotty. Lots of cheap units out there, he knows what is decent or not.
He will tell you the curve you need if you ask. Guessing 16* init, 36* all in by 3k. So 20* mech advance. Use the vac advance.

His port and cam package will make your bronco a beast!
I think its decent. Ive never had a iginition problem with this truck. The engine costs are adding up fast and this seemed easy enough, but i think im just going to send it to him. he doesnt charge to much to do it

Top Back Refresh