What's new

Food/ingredients/spices - what are you stocking up on?

Tin Roof

Rusted
Member Number
Loc
Iowa
Since it's looking like some items might be difficult to get or become extremely expensive long term, what are you stocking up on now? I'm not talking your SHTF stash, I mean for your every day meals.

We have a hog and 1/4 beef in the freezers so we are good on meat.
We have started buying extra canned vegetables every time we are at the store. The usual - corn, green beans, cream corn.
Some things on our radar to grab and store are sugar, flour, and general spices.

Our goal is to have enough stashed away that we don't have to do a lot of grocery runs over the next year, because we are convinced that groceries are going to be either hard to get or significantly more costly for at least a year. Obviously we'll still have to buy some items, but it would be nice to have the majority stashed away.

What's on your list?

My grocery shopping habits haven’t changed much, even in pandemic times. I started buying Lawry’s garlic pepper, and McCormick’s Cajun spice in bulk recently. It got to a point where it was a crap shoot if they were in stock in the couple places that carry them. Now I just order a six pack of each :homer:

Last week I couldn’t find the man eater’s canned food, but I was able to find an equivalent that he seems to like. And the new brand has more variety :grinpimp:

Pryor to the scamdemic, I would pick up an extra can or two of whatever I was buying to have a “Just in case” stash. At first Mrs would raise an eyebrow at an extra can or two, not anymore.

Costco stuff and Bishops storehouse #10 can items.

I'm probably sitting on 600 cans of food, mostly high protein stew, chili, soup with meat, etc , I've gotten lazy on rotation and have been eating chili 2 years past date, like new

I buy based on the expiration date and protein content, I figure rice grain and potatoes will always be relatively cheap and not worth storing. If I can't find bread, ill get tortillas, or hot dog buns, or noodles, or potatoes

I also buy canned fruit and beans

I buy and freeze blocks of cheese and butter when its on sale. Thawed cheese crumbles, so not great for cold sandwiches, but great for everything else

I also write prices on stuff, kind of for me, mostly so my kids see what's going on and have a big picture view of economics

I have a chest freezer and buy a lot of roasts, I also like the bulk packs of frozen burger patties, quick to grille, also quick to thaw for chili or taco meat or whatever

Bacon, bacon on sale is relatively cheap, compact for the protein and freezes well, has tons of flavor and can go a long ways. A frozen pack of bacon, a frozen block of cheese and if a 5lb bag of potatoes triples to 7 bucks, it's still hearty meal

Peanut butter, cheap, tons of protein, but be careful, its not particularly long dated, and really just tastes like shit about 6mo after best by date

Once I was loaded up on that stuff I made a round buying canned salsa and similar, bottles of steak and bbq sauce to dress up whatever

Lots of salt on hand

Packets of taco seasoning

Lot's of instant potatoes on hand, I usually make the kids do potatoes while I'm cooking the meat, so it rotates well, also long dated

20211220_094816.jpg
3 for $5 freezer cheese:laughing:

Pretty much what smurf said. Previously wife said things about ‘we already have that’ and now understands why I want two or three of the ‘shit we forgot’ type meals ready to go at a moment’s notice. Mostly refilling the supplies as she also learned how much it sucks to run out because ‘oh we have that at home’ and you’ve burned through the supples for a second or third time.

Top Back Refresh