What's new
  • Check out our new Group Buy Program! We're kicking it off with Baja Designs! $10 Flat rate shipping no matter how much you order!

Flying to GA in a few weeks.. food?

Fishnbeer

The dude abides
Member Number
Loc
CA
I have some training for work coming up and have to fly out to College Park, just outside of Atlanta. The training center and hotel they put us at is adjacent to the Atlanta airport.

While I am out there I want to find some good soul food, bbq, chicken and waffles type shit. Anyone familiar with the area? I heard its pretty rough, employees have gotten robbed before. I might rent a car and spend an extra day or two and get out of the area.

Anything else cool to check out?

I was there a few weeks ago a for a few days, our hub is over by the Delta flight Museum. The area was much nicer than my previous impressions.

Its not on your list, but the meal we had at Manchester Arms in College park was excellent. Never been a fan of british food but everything I tried there was great.

This is It on Memorial Drive in Decatur. The other mall location is ok but the memorial drive spot is the eal place to get soul food.

Thanks for the tips. Definately going to check out the Delta air museum.

I just realized the dates for the trip. . . . 9/9 - 9/11. I am thinking I will catch a later flight out and fly back on the 12th. Not totally sure I want to fly on 9/11. That may be a good day for the air museum or do something patriotic

I have some training for work coming up and have to fly out to College Park, just outside of Atlanta. The training center and hotel they put us at is adjacent to the Atlanta airport.

While I am out there I want to find some good soul food, bbq, chicken and waffles type shit. Anyone familiar with the area? I heard its pretty rough, employees have gotten robbed before. I might rent a car and spend an extra day or two and get out of the area.

Anything else cool to check out?
Its all pretty disappointing, mostly shitty :mr-t: employees dont give a fuck unless you go real high end.

Just stop at a waffle house, if your not used to eating heaping amounts of vegetable oil be ready for bubble guts.

The best part about atlanta is when its in your rearview.

Waffle House.... LIve large! :homer:
Went to one in Houston once. Had offers for "all you wann... twenty dolla" by 2 very large :mr-t: ladies standing outside.
This was around 0530... and all 7 or 8 of us in BDUs

Waffle House.... LIve large! :homer:
I was eating at Waffle House back in March, and there were some Tourist from San Antonio who were in town for the Rodeo and they drove out to my neck of the woods to eat at their 1st Waffle House. (apparently San Antonio doesn't have Waffle House. Whooda thunk)

It amused me.

Biguns BBQ.

It's like 1.5 hours north, but worth it

College Park is pretty hood. It's gotten better but still can be rough. East point is nearby and has cleaned up more, but I'd still be knowing where I'm going after dark.

If you get up toward Marietta I'd recommend tasty china. schezwan Chinese and very legit.

This place is really good, but dont park where you cant see your car Hankook Taqueria · Atlanta, Georgia

Vortex lounge, the original one.

Heart attack burger.

Go here for the true Atlanta experience. Get the Chitlins.

:flipoff2:

This-is-it-bbq-panola-img-1920w.jpg

Be prepared for traffic to suck around mcdonough on 75 around where summit is most times of the day

If you really want to get out of town a little check out fresh air bbq in jackson, ga

Everyone talks about how good it is, i dont really get it but the place has a nice old school vibe and its not terrible.

Also there is buckners family restaurant in jackson, open a couple days a week good lunch and dinner.

Traffic will open up on 75 about the time you get south of exit 205.

Last edited:
Six Feet Under by Memorial Park. I've driven to ATL for a day trip to eat their shrimp and grits.

Last edited:
Jody beat me, get shrimp and grits pretty much anywhere that has it, will be good!! Fried okra, also good. Eat Bojangles if you have never had it, fucking good.

You'll be in college Park so soul food will be a plenty:laughing:

Check out some places like Mary Mac's Tea Room for classic Southern soul food—it's a local favorite! For BBQ, Fox Bros. is definitely worth a visit; their brisket is amazing. And you can’t go wrong with a spot like Gladys Knight's Chicken and Waffles for that sweet and savory combo.As for safety, yeah, it can be rough in some areas, but a rental car can help you explore more safely. One time I used OTS Taxi, and they were super friendly and reliable. You can check them out at otstaxi.com. They even shared some tips on hidden gems around town.

Last edited:
Check out some places like Mary Mac's Tea Room for classic Southern soul food—it's a local favorite! For BBQ, Fox Bros. is definitely worth a visit; their brisket is amazing. And you can’t go wrong with a spot like Gladys Knight's Chicken and Waffles for that sweet and savory combo.
Fox bros is mediocre BBQ for Atlanta City folks that haven't had good BBQ

Waffle house hash browns scattered all the way.

The only question is chili or country gravy? It's such a hard choice especially when you are hungover AF and just need some grease in your belly.

The WH I grew up with in VA didn't have gravy as an option just chili.

The only question is chili or country gravy? It's such a hard choice especially when you are hungover AF and just need some grease in your belly.

I think it is called "Burts Chili"... I was in a Jacksonville WH once and ordered chili... I shit you not; they forgot where they put it...
Dang I love that placel You never set your expectations high so your never disappointed...:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

BTW: They found the chili just before I was leaving. It was sitting on top of a cooler. :smokin::smokin::smokin::smokin:

Last edited:

I'm in the wrong part of the country for Waffle House, but when I'm there it's "hash browns all the way, with gravy AND chili":flipoff2:

I was just there a few weeks ago for my wifes dads funeral. I was disappointed. Almost every place we ate while we were there were places we could eat around here.

My wife was talking about some place that had cajun food we were supposed to eat at but never got to.

Top Back Refresh