What's new

Flush mount tail light options?

Typically those lights are not bright enough to be legally used as stop lights. You really want something with dual intensity.

I like to use these.

Another cool thing about those is there are a few manufacturers that have started putting reverse lights in them for a really tidy all in one solution.

Typically those lights are not bright enough to be legally used as stop lights. You really want something with dual intensity.

I like to use these.

Another cool thing about those is there are a few manufacturers that have started putting reverse lights in them for a really tidy all in one solution.
I like that! Everything in one 6" oval will be cleaner than me adding three separate 2" lights. I was worried the ones I posted might not be bright enough.

I did the integrated 6" oval ones, outside is dual brightness red and center is amber for turn signals. I'll see if I can find a link later.

20201017_082131.jpg

No picture right now but i usually hole saw 4-5" holes in the tailgate and run the round trailer ones there. I manage to break even the flushmount ones in the bumper

on amazon (note: these look like the surface mount, you probably want the grommet or flange mount version): Amazon.com

Planning on doing the round version of those lights myself.

After thinking on this more, putting the tail lights on the tail gait is now on the table.

I moved the gas tank back a couple inches and the 3/16" wall square tube bumper is also the end of the frame. Not sure how great an idea it is to start cutting big old holes in it? I'm really not exited about cutting holes in the tail gait either but it's one or the other.

Where ever I put them, I want to go with quality lights , so I don't have to try to make something else fit later on

Saw a tail light set of 3 colors and bulbs in a napa catalog but they were super spendy in the area of 200.00 each, wanted to replace the ones where the lenses are only held on by the rubber of the body of the fixture.

Never did get the upgrades but did put in LED bulbs in the ones that would accept them.

Flashing bulbs like the signals wouldnt as they didnt work well with the flash element behind the dash.

After thinking on this more, putting the tail lights on the tail gait is now on the table.

I moved the gas tank back a couple inches and the 3/16" wall square tube bumper is also the end of the frame. Not sure how great an idea it is to start cutting big old holes in it? I'm really not exited about cutting holes in the tail gait either but it's one or the other.

Where ever I put them, I want to go with quality lights , so I don't have to try to make something else fit later on
Here you go. Exact same thing as the oval lights I posted only round. You'll find these on the back of semi's all over the country. Most napa have them in stock and I've even seen them in grocery stores in more rural areas.

I did the integrated 6" oval ones, outside is dual brightness red and center is amber for turn signals. I'll see if I can find a link later.

20201017_082131.jpg

I have the same ones but with the center clear, I did a 5 to 4 wire conversion to make the brake lights and turn signals the same.

They're bright enough to work, but not blind people. I may add some more leds pointed rearward on a rock light circuit.

No picture right now but i usually hole saw 4-5" holes in the tailgate and run the round trailer ones there. I manage to break even the flushmount ones in the bumper

BRTky.jpg

:flipoff2:

I added some 3/8" key stock under the lights on mine. Held up to 1 trip to Fordyce with a 10" belly height 🤷

I use to pop them in on my 4runner quite a bit, but they'd last awhile. I figured they're a disposable item eventually.

Here you go. Exact same thing as the oval lights I posted only round. You'll find these on the back of semi's all over the country. Most napa have them in stock and I've even seen them in grocery stores in more rural areas.

I'm planning on going with these, in the tailgate. Other than the grommets and connectors, Are there any other parts I will need to make this work?

$28 each plus $10 shipping is the best price I have found.

I'm redoing my boxvan with these, they're the all in one lights similar to those but come with grommet monuts and connectors:

The only problem with mounting them in the gate is if you ever want a spare tire carrier, it will likely block your lights.

That's the problem I put myself into. I didnt think about it when I mounted them in the tail gate, but now I want to build a spare tire carrier and I'll end up having to remount them.

I'm reading stuff about Trailer light converters, LED flasher relays, hazard flashers not working, alot of people running into issues with the combination light setup. Sounds like the Samurai wants to see a separate bulb for each signal.

Kc cyclone LED's are 2" round and around 500 lumens. Internet says thats the same as the average oem turn signal/brake light. They will mount with One bolt and the only hole needed in the bumper would be for the wiring. :stirthepot:

I'm reading stuff about Trailer light converters, LED flasher relays, hazard flashers not working, alot of people running into issues with the combination light setup. Sounds like the Samurai wants to see a separate bulb for each signal.

Kc cyclone LED's are 2" round and around 500 lumens. Internet says thats the same as the average oem turn signal/brake light. They will mount with One bolt and the only hole needed in the bumper would be for the wiring. :stirthepot:

It has been years since I read about this and did it to mine, but yes, I think you have to use a converter of some sort if you want to run a combination brake/turn light (two lights). I just installed four lights so I didn't have to fool with that, plus I thought it looked cool.

Samurai end of days 3.jpg

Trailer con erter is easy. 5 in 4 out or 4 in 3 out, whatever :flipoff2:

I made a little tech thread on the correct relay for led blinkers to get rid of tweeker blink. Hazards dont work, not sure if they would have anyway. :laughing:

I think I can use the combination light (stop,turn,tail,reverse) for stop, tail, and reverse. Then run another light for turn and everything should work right, without a converter.

If I can get this thing road worthy, I would like to be able to drive it over the pass and I could see hazard lights possibly coming in handy.

These look like a nice option for putting the light on the bumper without having to cut any large holes. The price isn't nice though.

The only problem with mounting them in the gate is if you ever want a spare tire carrier, it will likely block your lights.

That's the problem I put myself into. I didnt think about it when I mounted them in the tail gate, but now I want to build a spare tire carrier and I'll end up having to remount them.
This is a good point I didn't think of. The spare is currently taking up all the usable space in the bed.

What don't you like about the converter? You can get one for a whole $10: Amazon.com

Aaron Z
Everything I've read about using a converter says the hazard lights wont work. If I can use the combination light and a separate light for the turn signal and keep the hazards, that sounds like a better way to go to me.

I've got plenty to do before it hits the road, so just entertaining options.

Everything I've read about using a converter says the hazard lights wont work. If I can use the combination light and a separate light for the turn signal and keep the hazards, that sounds like a better way to go to me.

I've got plenty to do before it hits the road, so just entertaining options.
Hazard lights should work fine as long as you use a flasher that is okay with leds.
Otherwise it wouldn't be any different than having a trailer hooked up and having the hazard lights flash on that.
Note that if the brake lights are on when the turn signal should be turning on it actually turns off the light so your rear turn signals will not be in sync with your front ones when the brakes are on (if you care).

Aaron Z

on amazon (note: these look like the surface mount, you probably want the grommet or flange mount version): Amazon.com

Planning on doing the round version of those lights myself.
I ended up getting a set of these. I ordered from covertlights.com and cut amazon out of the deal. They are only about 5/8" thick, I don't have to cut any large holes in the bumper, They are affordable so breaking one wont ruin my day. Going to skip the trailer converter and run kc cyclones for turn signals.

Took a bent up stock bumper, cut out the tail-light brackets, used India LED Samurai tail-lights, and put them in a 2x4 bumper on the buggy.
20201005_185131.jpg
I've done this too, am doing this again right now, and recommend this. But if you really want something different, my buddy is running these and they're pretty nice (below).

I used this company to buy my Grote brand marker lights and gaskets when the original set got corroded on the connections.

They weren't super fun to deal with on communication and paperwork like invoices but did come thru as the cheapest I was able to find online, local didnt have anything available that would fit the preexisting holes in the bed.q

Used the same harness just cleaned it with CRC contact cleaner.

20210828_201840.jpg

FD86A3CC-5614-4DF0-92B1-CD6E6FC11828.jpeg

These are very bright. Found them on Amazon.

Attachments

• A2285364-3657-4127-8A4F-C1CABD3CF23A.jpeg
    A2285364-3657-4127-8A4F-C1CABD3CF23A.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 31
I've the 6" Grote oval LEDs in rubber grommets on mine in the bumper, and LED turn signals up front. Rears are separate red and amber lights. Added the trailer light converter years ago when I used the Samurai to tow the boat, & electronic flasher.

Hazards work fine. Every bit as bright as modern OEM lights during the day. Rubber grommets are great to save the lights when I'm not paying attention and back into a rock.

Top Back Refresh