What's new

Florida trip info

Tin Roof

Rusted
Member Number
Loc
Iowa
Next summer we will be going to Lakeland FL for a gymnastics meet. We only have to be in Lakeland one day for the competition, but plan on spending a full week in Florida.

Our plan is to fly down and rent a house off VRBO. Ideally we want to stay within an hour or so from Lakeland so that the day of competition we can take a rental car there.

What's the Tampa/Tampa Bay area like? Any other city along the water that's within an hour or so of Lakeland that is decent for vacationing? We are not into the Disney thing. We'd be spending some time on the beach, but would like other things to do like historical sites and that sort of shit.

We don't know shit about Florida, other than it's a long way from Iowa. :flipoff2:

Tons to do in Orlando. KSC is really cool but you have to do a tour. Even the short one is worth it. Seeing the vehicle assembly building up close was awing.

Lakeland is in Polk county...

Remember the convicted felon that shot 3 friends at a "night fishing" trip... Beware of meth heads too. :flipoff2:

Head west to Clearwater & area beaches-

Siesta Key has the best beaches. You might be able to find something available really close to the beach there although snowbird season is kicking in and availability may be an issue last minute. It's 86 miles from Lakeland. lol I used to live on the key and commute to Lakeland daily; the drive isn't too bad.

Native here, born and raised in Tampa area. You have two somewhat different choices. Lakeland is ~ an hour from the West Coast (Tampa) or ~ 2 hrs from the East Coast. Two distinctly different beach settings. Tampa Bay has a number of really nice beaches (Clearwater, Anna Maria, Ft Desoto, Indian Rocks, etc) that are highly ranked in top beaches in US. On the Atlantic side you have beaches like Cocoa, Daytona, etc).

The problem is that if you stay in a beach area on the East coast you are looking at ~ 2hrs to Lakeland. You could stay in Orlando/Kissimmee area and be an hour from Lakeland, but you are going tobe surrounded by tourists and theme parks. I will say there is quite a variety of parks and not all are Disney. You have MGM, Universal, Animal Kingdom, Sea World, etc. There are lots of restaurants and things to do. However, there really isn't much in the way of historic stuff since Orlando basically developed out of Central Florida pastures and orange groves in the 50-60's.

If you stay in Tampa area, you can either stay on the "mainland" in Tampa or stay on the Gulf side in Clearwater/St Petersburg area. A lot depends on your budget. You are coming in the height of tourist season, so lodging prices are higher (this applies to all of FL, not just Tampa) and availability is lower.

In Tampa, you are 30-45 minutes from beaches, depending on which one you go to. There is also a lot more history to Tampa and the surrounding area since it was established in the 1800's. You have a Cuban, Spanish, Italian heritage. There are a lot of places to see. Ybor City is neat, Busch Gardens, Florida Aquarium, Channelside district, are a few that come to mind in the immediate Tampa area. Tarpon Springs and Sponge docks are interesting, Downtown Dunedin are on the Gulf side and worth a visit. If you head north from Tampa about 40 miles on the Suncoast Parkway you can check out some of "old FL" off US19, like Homasassa Springs, Crystal River, Weeki Watchee, etc. There's also a lot of water related things to do, both fresh/salt water fishing, jet skis, dolphin watching cruises, paddle board/kayaking, etc all up and down the coast.

Another option might be to stay South of Tampa Bay in the Bradenton area. Lots of nice beaches like Anna Maria , Ft DeSoto, etc. You will be away from the bigger city feel of Tampa and still only about 1.5 hrs from Lakeland.

The other potential benefit there is that you have some alternate routes to get to Lakeland. From either Tampa or Orlando, the only travel option is Interstate I4. Tons of traffic both East and West and is subject to parking lot/traffic jams almost any time of day. There are a couple alternates like 574 or 92, but these are secondary roads through small towns and still have a lot of traffic.

From Bradenton you could head north on 75 to I4, or you could cut across the FL countryside via 62/37, 301/674/37, etc. Maybe not as quick as the interstate, but not as hectic either.

As far as Lakeland itself, it's typical of any medium size city. Mostly decent area overall, but there are some low income areas that aren't as nice. Not like going into Compton or East LA, but I wouldn't want to stay there. They do have Sherriff Grady Judd, who is somewhat of a celebrity in this area for his hard stance on crime and his always colorful press conferences :)

Feel free to PM for my # if you want to talk or have questions, probably easier than trying to type out everything.

Kermit Weeks place, Fantasy of flight is right there in Lakeland, if you drive to Homosassa, kayak down the Chassahowitzka river. they have rentals there. Pay attention to the tides(research ahead of time) to make the paddle back not so hard. Fishing charters out of Crystal river. for salt water fishing. If you are a fresh water fisherman, plenty of places around Lakeland for great largemouth fishing

Thanks for the info everyone. For now we are looking into the Clearwater area. We still have some time to research and decide.

Kermit Weeks place, Fantasy of flight is right there in Lakeland, if you drive to Homosassa, kayak down the Chassahowitzka river. they have rentals there. Pay attention to the tides(research ahead of time) to make the paddle back not so hard. Fishing charters out of Crystal river. for salt water fishing. If you are a fresh water fisherman, plenty of places around Lakeland for great largemouth fishing

Related, Im not sure of your exact dates, but the “Sun and Fun“ air show is around Easter. Worth a day even if you’re not into aviation. You might even get a ride in a helicopter with waterhorse. Might even bring my HEMTT this year.

Tell me your planned budget and head count I live in south florida and lets just say lakeland has nothing to offer. And the time of year you are attending. I just spent the holiday in orlando one park one day two of us and hotel gas and food and drinks cost me 1k for three days let that sink in.

Fuck anything Orlando. I've only lived in Fl for 7 months and I dread every time (like this afternoon) that I have to drive to/through Orlando.

That's all I have to say. Haven't been here long enough to know otherwise. I work all over the state, but run fast back to NE FL as soon as I am able. Too many godammed people down south.

Tell me your planned budget and head count I live in south florida and lets just say lakeland has nothing to offer. And the time of year you are attending. I just spent the holiday in orlando one park one day two of us and hotel gas and food and drinks cost me 1k for three days let that sink in.

Budget cap is $5k but flexible. We don't do trips like this very often (my wife hates flying and has health issues that flare up on long drives) so we want to take advantage of her actually flying....

There will be 3 of us for sure, possibly 4. Me, my wife, and our 13 year old daughter. We will be there mid June.

Budget cap is $5k but flexible. We don't do trips like this very often (my wife hates flying and has health issues that flare up on long drives) so we want to take advantage of her actually flying....

There will be 3 of us for sure, possibly 4. Me, my wife, and our 13 year old daughter. We will be there mid June.
Homosassa area is pretty cool. Has quite a few fresh water springs in the area. A couple decent size forests that can be driven in. One of them has some caves you can hike to. Also has pretty good fishing. I think you will be just to early for scallop season. It's not a far drive from good beaches

Beaches: St Pete clearwater area west coast of florida just south of tampa.
Beaches: Daytona New smyrna area east coast just north of cape canavral

Natural springs: Lithia springs alexander springs

Here are the best manatee sites:
  1. Blue Springs. Blue Springs is a state park set aside as a manatee refuge. ...
  2. Crystal River. ...
  3. Homosassa River. ...
  4. Chassahowitzka River. ...
  5. Weeki Wachee River. ...
  6. Merritt Island. ...
  7. Manatee Springs. .

Theme Park:

Busch Gardens (cheap)
Sea world ( Cheap)
Disney or epcot if you never went worth it
Universal priced in between

Disney Springs is nice for shopping but expect to feel like you are at a disney theme park.

Undeground caves are an option.

Anyone telling you to visit ocala waste of time its sandy back roads and trees.

Do a drift boat if you want to fish but expect a 40 mile trek to get to deep water private charters are big money

I suggest if you want to do a beach do it on the last day this way if you get burned which only takes about 3-4 hours you wont be fucking miserable the rest of the trip.

being inland will be hot and muggy
theme parks are actually free of flying insects.

there are fucking lizards everywhere get over it.
alligators dontyou even in the natural springs.

me I love theme parks. I also like zoos.

Im sure I could mention more.

I am taking consideration that the 5k covers your place to stay your flights and a rental car (get a cheapo for this ) and expect to pay parking everywhere And food to cost an avg for 3 people about 120 a day.

Too many godammed people down south.
Traffic gets very heavy on Highway 19 but a little fucking accident shuts it down for hours. Try to plan trips before or after rush hour, millions of people/tourists driving-

Keep in mind traffic. If you are staying on Clearwater Beach for example, getting to the east side of Tampa along could add a lot of time depending on the time of day, accidents, etc.

I would definitely second the suggestions of Siesta Key or Anna Maria Island.

Huh, Well since this guy rose a thread from the dead, How was Florida Tin?

Top Back Refresh