What's new

Floorboards hotter than fuck ...

Kowboy

White Trash
Member Number
Loc
In the trailer park
Florida summer's brutal.

JK with stroker hemi. Tub's been sprayed with Line-X Ultra and I threw in some thick rubber floor mats. Still too hot.

Lookin' for some suggestions on some sorta insulation blanket/flexible material to throw on the floor to try to cool my feet down some.

Any ideas??

I had the problem on my motorcycle that had the exhaust routed under the seat area. Bike was hot to ride, panels were hot to touch, it was a little uncormfortable. I did a couple things and the combination worked great. First I wrapped the exhaust pipe with that fiberlass exhaust heat wrap. That alone made a big difference. Then on the inner parts of the panels on the bike I added the adhesive heat insulation, it is like a thick piece of tin foil on a rubber mat with adhesive backing. The combination made a huge difference. Maybe if you got some room you can bend up some heat sheilds between the tube and exhaust

But people have reservations about the exhaust wrap on a truck, it traps mud against the pipe and makes things rust out quicker, if you get oil on the wrap it will never stop smoking. If you are concerned about that you can remove, clean and re wrap periodically. Perhaps also applying a high heat resistant paint prior to wrapping the pipe will prevent the rust too.

make an exhaust heat shield out of an insulated cookie sheet

... can remove, clean and re wrap periodically.

Exhaust is so tight that it's hard to even touch ... much less wrap. But thanks. :smokin: Wish I'd of had the whole system ceramic coated inside and out but too late for that now.

make an exhaust heat shield out of an insulated cookie sheet

Cool idea sir. Already gotta heat shield 'tween the pipe and the tub.

Can't afford 'em. :flipoff2:

Think I might of found the answer right under my damn nose. Was in the engine room on the dredge this mornin' and noticed the exhaust wrap on our 3304 generator ...

20200718_A_exhaust wrap.jpg

20200718_B_exhaust wrap.jpg

It's a fiberglass mattin' and 'bout an inch thick. That turbo gets hotter than my floorboards!

Gonna have to get with one of the shipyards we use to see 'bout gettin' a coupla hunks. :smokin:

Stay tuned ....

I've found that line-x doesn't really do shit for heat. You would think it would, but it doesn't after hours of use, the heat still soaks through.

Best thing is to keep the heat from actually getting to the floor, figure out a way to put heat shields in between the exhaust and the floor, with an air gap if possible. At that point, the line-x and rubber matte will probably be sufficient. You might need to re-do the exhaust to get room.

Last edited:

Thanks for the info ... I'll check out what they got. :smokin:

I've used bags of ice before.

Reminds me of my grandpa tellin' stories of puttin' block ice on the floorboards of his Model T goin' across the Mojave back in the day. A possibility for sure sir.

How are you going to fit heat jacket when you allready said its to tight to fit header wrap?

Can't go near the exhaust. Thinkin' of puttin' the exhaust wrap material on the floorboards and then puttin' the floor mat on top of that. :idea:

I've found that line-x doesn't really do shit for heat. You would think it would, but it doesn't after hours of use, the heat still soaks through.

Best thing is to keep the heat from actually getting to the floor, figure out a way to put heat shields in between the exhaust and the floor, with an air gap if possible. At that point, the line-x and rubber matte will probably be sufficient. You might need to re-do the exhaust to get room.

The Rhino linin' in my buggy did great for heat ... agree the Line-X Ultra don't.

Done got heat shields already 'tween the exhaust and the tub. They ain't doin' much neither. :shaking:

Lots goin' on under my jk and not much option for exhaust routin'.

Thanks to all for the feedback. :beer:

Interestin' option Mr. Hall Monitor. :beer:

Likin' the Stealth Shield 'cause it's made for the inside of the tub and a fella ain't gotta glue it down. Buy some sort of jk front carpet kit and lay that over the top to protect the Stealth Shield and then put my floor mats on top of the carpet. Maybe won't burn the soles of my boots no more and all easily removable if'n I ever get a wild hair up my ass and wanna clean the interior. :smokin:

We're all here to help each other even if we don't agree with the method of help :beer:

By chance are there any holes in the floorboard near the shifters? In my TJ, I had a wicked heat issue and found my lower shifter boot torn. Once replaced, the issue calmed down considerably.

I ain't gotta proper boot 'round the 3 Atlas shifters in the center console and some heat definitely comes up thru there. But it's the actual floorboards that bother me. I'm gonna try some of the products mentioned in this fine thread.

My floorboards were hot enough to cook an egg, felt like my legs were in an oven. Once I replaced that boot, it's tolerable now.

Interestin' option Mr. Hall Monitor. :beer:

Likin' the Stealth Shield 'cause it's made for the inside of the tub and a fella ain't gotta glue it down. Buy some sort of jk front carpet kit and lay that over the top to protect the Stealth Shield and then put my floor mats on top of the carpet. Maybe won't burn the soles of my boots no more and all easily removable if'n I ever get a wild hair up my ass and wanna clean the interior. :smokin:

Do you have your factory front carpet anymore? I still have all the carpet out of mine and none of it will even come close to fitting. Let me know if you need it.:grinpimp:

Thanks Kevin. I might just take you up on that and get the front section. That'll give me an excuse to swing by on my way west. I'll try to pick up some roadkill on the way that we can chunk on the grill to have with the cat food. :laughing:

Considerin' it's comin' out of a 4-door, I need to clarify ... is the carpet pink?? :flipoff2:

Yes, but all the seamen stains and used rubbers were all shoveled out. Should be good to go.:flipoff2:

Actually it's black, no idea if there were any other colors offered

So here's gonna be the first attempt at resolution:

Ordered the heat shield shit from Summit that Will Scarlet suggested with his mad Google skills...

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hsp-810001

Ad says gotta be covered up to protect it so ordered a front carpet kit from Quadratec since gt1guy just teased me with a freebie ...

https://www.quadratec.com/products/14051_830X_PG.htm

I'm figurin' on makin' this into a tech thread by borrowin' a temp gun from work and providin' temperature dif'rences before and after. :smokin:

Interestin' that I ordered both products Wednesday. Thursday gotta call from Summit to confirm my order since the shippin' address was 'cross country from the billin' address. Once confirmed, they shipped that same day and package arrived yesterday on Sunday with free shippin'. That's good service right there. :smokin:

Meanwhile ... ain't heard nary a peep outta Quadratec 'bout shippin' my carpet. :shaking:

Finally broke down and called Quadratec to find out where the fuck my carpet is. After 21-minutes on hold, they say back-ordered 'till 14 September. Website said carpet was in-stock when I ordered it and never even got a notice otherwise.

Therefore ... Quadratec sucks.

unless you have some fancy hemi-stroker exhaust, cut that shit off and wrap it. have it reinstalled with an air gap.

I do indeed have some fancy hemi-stroker exhaust and it does have an air gap sir.

One of the problems is the air gap's the size of a red **** hair.

Hopin' for a quick fix with the carpet and heatshield but not sure the carpet will ever get here now. :shaking:

Big picture is when my new crate motor goes in this winter, the exhaust system and body tub are gonna get some extra lovin' for heat related issues. :smokin:

Top Back Refresh